Any exciting exercise plans for the summer?

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hola

Runners, walkers, cyclists, swimmers, mudders, exercisers etc etc - have you got any plans for the summer?

For my sins I have signed up to the long distance walkers association's white cliffs challenge at the end of august. That'll be 53 miles with a cut off time of 22 hours! Better get my skates on.

Reactions: 8 people

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck with your LDWA White Cliffs Challenge, Baruney.

I'm doing Great Lakeland 3 Day this weekend, Keswick to Barrow 40 miles next weekend [fundraising for Dystonia Association], Pennine 26 or 39 in July. I'm also working on several races throughout England, Scotland and Wales, including Beaver Triathlons & Trail Rush Sheffield in May, Dragons Back Race in June, UK Challenge at Lancaster and Marmot 24 in southern Scotland in July, Berghaus Trail Chase in North York Moors and Glencoe Skyline in August.

Reactions: 4 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your LDWA White Cliffs Challenge, Baruney.

I'm doing Great Lakeland 3 Day this weekend, Keswick to Barrow 40 miles next weekend [fundraising for Dystonia Association], Pennine 26 or 39 in July. I'm also working on several races throughout England, Scotland and Wales, including Beaver Triathlons & Trail Rush Sheffield in May, Dragons Back Race in June, UK Challenge at Lancaster and Marmot 24 in southern Scotland in July, Berghaus Trail Chase in North York Moors and Glencoe Skyline in August.
Many thanks @copepod - not sure if brave or foolish for the WCC. I will find out after the event!

An enviable list of walks there - shame it takes so long from here to get to there.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice one @Baruney

For me
1) learn to ride the recumbent I bought
2) River Ayre Way in mid Sept (44 miler, not sure of cut-offs, but can't take too long as I need to go to Algeria two days later)
3) maybe a cheeky 10km or so in the summer
4) a few days on the bike in Majorca
5) Start prepping for an attempt at a Bob Graham Round in 2016

Reactions: 2 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Likewise @ElyDave - all the best for the "Bob", you certainly don't do things by half.

Thanks for all the advice previously for the Brighton Marathon. 5 hours 42 mins - feet and bod in excellent condition.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Summer? I'm hoping we didn't have it in April - I crave warm weather.
Anyways, summer for me started with the OMM Lite 2day mountain marathon last weekend.
Looking forward, its the Gloucester 3days Orienteering races this weekend, then Wenlock multi-terrain 1/2 Marathon May17 (I have unfinished business with these longer running events ;-), Springtime in Shropshire 3days orienteering race at the end of May, Malvern Midsummer Marathon and Harvester overnight orienteering relays on the same weekend in June (foolish?), Scottish 6days orienteering in August, followed by LDWA Bendon Incline (33 miles?) and the White Rose orienteering weekend over the bank holiday, then to close summer off in September, the Long Mynd Long-O and the autumn OMM Lite 2day mountain marathon
There's lots of other stuff in between times such as the Telford AC sexarathon road race series but these are my 'definitely gonna dos' :)

Good luck with the WCC and the 'Bob', they're definitely beyond the capabilities of my delicate feet and weak legs, and good luck to the rest of you for your summer plans.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks @copepod - not sure if brave or foolish for the WCC. I will find out after the event!

An enviable list of walks there - shame it takes so long from here to get to there.

I'm making up for all my years in Cambridgeshire, a bleeping long way to any hills / fells. Even local AIRE orienteering, like last night, is good fun. Although my first ever 10k was a couple of weeks ago, mainly on tracks round a village not far from Cambridge, where I was working for 2 weeks, and a friend traded her entry for a take away meal, as she was injured.

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Summer? I'm hoping we didn't have it in April - I crave warm weather.
Anyways, summer for me started with the OMM Lite 2day mountain marathon last weekend.
Looking forward, its the Gloucester 3days Orienteering races this weekend, then Wenlock multi-terrain 1/2 Marathon May17 (I have unfinished business with these longer running events ;-), Springtime in Shropshire 3days orienteering race at the end of May, Malvern Midsummer Marathon and Harvester overnight orienteering relays on the same weekend in June (foolish?), Scottish 6days orienteering in August, followed by LDWA Bendon Incline (33 miles?) and the White Rose orienteering weekend over the bank holiday, then to close summer off in September, the Long Mynd Long-O and the autumn OMM Lite 2day mountain marathon
There's lots of other stuff in between times such as the Telford AC sexarathon road race series but these are my 'definitely gonna dos' :)

Good luck with the WCC and the 'Bob', they're definitely beyond the capabilities of my delicate feet and weak legs, and good luck to the rest of you for your summer plans.
Lovely list ' all the best for a summer of fun and sun.

zicksi101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
10k series for me. Four 10k's over four weeks, starting mid May.

Then perhaps some cycling with the other half if the weather holds up.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
10k series for me. Four 10k's over four weeks, starting mid May.

Then perhaps some cycling with the other half if the weather holds up.
No such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing! Enjoy your running and cycling.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting carried away now... I've only gone and entered next week's Dudley Kingswinford 10k.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm making up for all my years in Cambridgeshire, a bleeping long way to any hills / fells. Even local AIRE orienteering, like last night, is good fun. Although my first ever 10k was a couple of weeks ago, mainly on tracks round a village not far from Cambridge, where I was working for 2 weeks, and a friend traded her entry for a take away meal, as she was injured.

I know how you feel. Not a hill in sight. :mad:

Last Sunday, to give the legs a taste of what's to come I did
15x reverse lunge each side
15 x squat press
15 x step up each side
90s rest
repeated 8 times in 40 min, all with a 9kg DB in each hand

That and a 20min 5k the next day finished off the legs

I might go and do reps of the cathedral precinct in Ely at the weekend just for fun;)

Reactions: 6 people

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not really summer, but have entered the Budapest half marathon in September, doing it with friends from when I lived there. The problem is I started training in Feb, from a base of not having run in years, but I do cycle, gym etc, and I trapped a nerve in my back, and tweaked a knee ligament. So just about to start training now. I've done half marathons before, but not since I was diagnosed T1 a couple of years ago, so it's going to be a bit of a learning curve.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Hola

Runners, walkers, cyclists, swimmers, mudders, exercisers etc etc - have you got any plans for the summer?

For my sins I have signed up to the long distance walkers association's white cliffs challenge at the end of august. That'll be 53 miles with a cut off time of 22 hours! Better get my skates on.

Are you sure you're allowed to use skates?

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Yep. Rolling on, moving on.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I didn't know Dudley had a run !!!

yep! 700+ runners and closed roads. (a proper road race!)

Unfortunately I've now tweaked my Achilles at yesterdays Gloucester Urban Orienteering race and am going to have to put my feet up until my Wenlock 1/2 marathon in two weeks time :-(
... the perils of exercise... ;-)

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I haven't been in a road race for years and to be honest I get out of breath thinking of it , ho if I could have my youth back
I did manage 20 mins on the treadmill this morning , how I loved to run . The only thing that runs now are my eyes , good luck ,keep safe and I hope the ATRepairs soon I know how painful they can be JJ

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yep! 700+ runners and closed roads. (a proper road race!)

Unfortunately I've now tweaked my Achilles at yesterdays Gloucester Urban Orienteering race and am going to have to put my feet up until my Wenlock 1/2 marathon in two weeks time :-(
... the perils of exercise... ;-)
******, did mine last year on a 23 mile fell race, 8 weeks before a 40 miler, which was only 6 more weeks to a HM