Anyone need surgery in the middle of the ND?

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am likely looking at surgery (anything from a lumpectomy to a mastectomy) - I'll know more in a few days. Since I'm on the other side of the big pond from a lot of you, there is often a 12+ hour delay, so I'm asking in advance of having specifics about the need, because once I know what the need is things may move quickly.

I'm 2.5 weeks into a diet close to the Newcastle Diet (the Blood Sugar diet, modeled on the Newcastle but with real food, combined with 16:8 fasting). I'm guessing that the surgeon won't think 800 calories a day is an appropriate amount of nutrition for healing from surgery (I'll be asking).

I'm curious if anyone had to interrupt the 8 week diet for any reason (and what impact it had on remission/no remission), and specifically if anyone experienced a surgical interruption.

My definition of remission, by the way, is the ability to return to a isocaloric diet (roughly 33/3% of my daily calories from each of the macro groups) and maintain normal blood glucose levels.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm wondering if you saw the other thread about cancer and the ketogenic diet? Breast cancer is one of the cancers that the keto diet is recommended for. Calorie restriction is also recommended for cancer. My take, if I was in your shoes, even if I had to up my calories prior to surgery, I'd be trying to stay as low carb as possible.

Hope the surgery and recovery all goes well for you :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am likely looking at surgery (anything from a lumpectomy to a mastectomy) - I'll know more in a few days. Since I'm on the other side of the big pond from a lot of you, there is often a 12+ hour delay, so I'm asking in advance of having specifics about the need, because once I know what the need is things may move quickly.

I'm 2.5 weeks into a diet close to the Newcastle Diet (the Blood Sugar diet, modeled on the Newcastle but with real food, combined with 16:8 fasting). I'm guessing that the surgeon won't think 800 calories a day is an appropriate amount of nutrition for healing from surgery (I'll be asking).

I'm curious if anyone had to interrupt the 8 week diet for any reason (and what impact it had on remission/no remission), and specifically if anyone experienced a surgical interruption.

My definition of remission, by the way, is the ability to return to a isocaloric diet (roughly 33/3% of my daily calories from each of the macro groups) and maintain normal blood glucose levels.

I know of one person who continued with the ND through her surgery and post surgical period for BC. As I recall she did up her protein a bit, but I can't recall too many more details.

As the lady hasn't posted for a while, I have sent her a PM with a link to your thread.

Fingers crossed you won't need too much intervention.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know of one person who continued with the ND through her surgery and post surgical period for BC. As I recall she did up her protein a bit, but I can't recall too many more details.

As the lady hasn't posted for a while, I have sent her a PM with a link to your thread.

Fingers crossed you won't need too much intervention.
Thank you!

I'm hoping for minimal intervention, as well. To the extent they can tell on an ultrasound, the size is good for minimal. I did have a thought last night that reminded me of a significantly worse possibility (I had a common presumed-benign skin tumor that had several characteristics that put it in a small, rare, subgroup that rapidly metastasize, including to the breast. Once I finally got it to stop recurring, I'd put the risk out of my mind.). I'd rather not have remembered at all, but since I did, I'm glad I remembered before today's appointment so the doc can be on the lookout for it.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Indy51 is spot on, a keto diet would be better.
Protein is needed for recovery, so maybe look at more protein, very low carb?

As to the effect on the Newcastle diet, it would probably depend on how far in, how much weight has been lost, and how much there is to go, and how much recovery is needed.
Hopefully not much, so hopefully minimal impact.

All the best with it all.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear this.
As a stressor it is a big one, and i wish you all the best with it.

I completely agree with @Indy51
I long ago decided that i would totally embrace keto at a hint of a C diagnosis. The more i find out, the more i am convinced.

The only query is whether you feel WELL on the 800 cal? Going into a time of stress and surgery i would want to have enough vitality to resist the worn feeling that will come.

Hope you have the best possible outcome.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the suggestions. I'd been hoping to be able to move away from ketogenic to moderate carbs. :( Guess I'd better do some more research.

Brunneria - I feel fine on the 800 calorie diet (about the same as I did on 1200). Definitely got that worn feeling, but more likely due to lack of sleep than lack of calories. Yesterday was rough. What I was concerned about was tissue repair - and bumping the protein makes sense.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for the suggestions. I'd been hoping to be able to move away from ketogenic to moderate carbs. :( Guess I'd better do some more research.

Brunneria - I feel fine on the 800 calorie diet (about the same as I did on 1200). Definitely got that worn feeling, but more likely due to lack of sleep than lack of calories. Yesterday was rough. What I was concerned about was tissue repair - and bumping the protein makes sense.

If my personal experience of similar surgery, for a different reason, 6 months ago was that i had real trouble keeping my weight up, so I wouldn't worry about weight control. I was eating extremely well, and lots of it, just to just about hold my own.

The nurse monitoring my eventual healing predicted when my body would start to behave more normally, about 2 months post-surgery, and she was spot on.

When do you feel you may know more?

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If my personal experience of similar surgery, for a different reason, 6 months ago was that i had real trouble keeping my weight up, so I wouldn't worry about weight control. I was eating extremely well, and lots of it, just to just about hold my own.

The nurse monitoring my eventual healing predicted when my body would start to behave more normally, about 2 months post-surgery, and she was spot on.

When do you feel you may know more?
I'm not concerned about weight control - that's relatively easy to stop and start without consequence. If it was just that, I'd take a break in a heartbeat. I am using the diet, plus daily 16 hour fasting, specifically as an attempt to induce restoration of the first phase insulin response & diabetic remission. My assessment of what research there is, is that one or both are critical to that outcome.

I should know more early next week. Marble-sized firm tumor - the doctor is very carefully not saying she thinks it's ductal - and I thought she (didn't say) sarcoma - but a quick search suggests that is relatively rare. On the other hand, our family collects unicorns. I had core biopsies done yesterday, so we're just waiting on the pathology. Since pathologists don't typically work weekends, it will likely be early next week.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was quite a low carber for best part of 40 years... Still got breast cancer and a Mx last year.
Since doing a lot of research in to cancer I have changed my eating....
I now ensure I have plenty of purple, green colourful veg like spinach and aubergine, avocado etc.

Due to slow colonic transit and ending up on butrans patches after MX I now have a totally paralysed colon. So needing to blend all food in to soups n smoothies.

My stomach doesn't even tolerate any flour of any type or any meat or fish even if minced.

Tonight for first time in 2 months I've tried a homemade vege lasagna. Will see what happens in 7 days!!

I wish you luck with your results. I wouldn't wish either C or D on my worst enemy!!

I also use a spreadsheet with all my fresh foods written down analysing every vitamin and mineral in them..... The only thing I lack in my diet is fish oil and B12, possibly iron... B12 worries me most as this in my body went up double to the upper target 2 years ago and my Endo said "you don't look like you have luekaemia". I didn't but I must have had Breast Cancer. My B12 sunk low again after my Mx but has shot up higher than the target level again! Despite not having any supplements or foods with much of it in.
Years ago I was diagnosed with Pernicious Anaemia.. But undiagnosed 6 years ago!! I do wonder if my B12 levels going up indicate cancer of some sort in me again.

Good luck. Definitely thinking of you... Xx