1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Apple Cider Vinegar

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments' started by Ange1a65, Feb 25, 2017.

1. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I just bought mine from Holland & Barret tonight @Energize, a wee experiment for my DP. As I'll be looking to counter the effects of DP and my innate morning rise - I'd be looking at taking my tablets with my evening meal. It does say on the back of the box to take with a meal, so I'm going to follow this advice initially to see how I go. Any findings, I'll be sure to post back with here:)

2. Energize

Energize Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks very much @GrantGam

I'm considering it for the same reason, ie DP. My readings in the mornings, start slightly higher than I'd like but then rise, particularly after having a shower and don't get back to reasonable levels until lunchtime, ie 3-4 hours, in spite of having a low carb breakfast, ie coffee with cream, piece of cheese or ham

I think I'll give it a try too ;) ... and will post back!

• Like Like x 1
  3. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So no success with the ACV tablets unfortunately... See I told you I'd be back:) My fasting BG has become awful since attempting to introduce some more carbs into my diet. For me, anything more than 130g/140g carbs per day means horrendous DP... I've tried around 180g/200g for the past week and I'm up around 11-15mmol/l every morning. The ACV can't compete I'm afraid.

I read time and time again about the importance of the supplements containing "the mother", I still don't understand what that is. Do my tablets contain then, I don't know - it doesn't say on the box!

In terms of dose, it says take 2-6 tablets per day with a meal. I've been taking 5 with my dinner - which equates to 1500mg.

That's about all I have to say:/

4. joeninty90

joeninty90 Type 2 · Newbie

Morning i take it 1st thing in the morning and last thing at night. I was on 3 500 metformin tabs a day don't take any now don't check my blood sugar either. I walk 6miles every day and feel great

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. cadd79

cadd79 Type 2 · Newbie

I have found if I use any type of vinegar in a salad dressing... Like olive oil and vinegar my sugar levels really drop. I do find it hard to take by itself but in a salad it's good!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alexandra100

Alexandra100 Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

My reading tells me that taking it before meals can cut the rise in glucose by up to 50%. So I try to remember to drink 1 tablespoon diluted in a lot of nice cold water just before meals. I really can't see how it could matter how much water you drink with it. I've no idea if it is making a difference, probably not, quite honestly, but I had a huge bottle left over from years ago when it was said to help prevent arthritis so I'm glad to find a use for it. NB you should not brush your teeth straight after drinking it as I think it could loosen the enamel, as can many other foods and drinks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fearless36

Fearless36 · Well-Known Member

Be careful not all ACVs are uniform in the sugar amounts they have, and its also dependent on the kind of mother apple they are made with so it can be a bit of a minefield.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

at 140gm of carbs a day you are already eating twice the amount I could ever manage without gaining weight and well over twice what I am eating now I am diagnosed - all my readings would be high, not just the first test - so you are doing well even if the vinegar didn't work for you.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook