Applying for a cgm

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Either talk to your consultant or the DN who deals with you (maybe at your docs).

I know I talked to my DN at my docs and she wrote to one of the consultants at my local hospital. Do check up on the qualifying reasons why you should get one though as they are not intending to supply everyone with them, and whilst the qualifying reasons should be the same throughout the country, they are not always: this link: https://www.england.nhs.uk/2019/03/...lucose-monitors-for-type-1-diabetes-patients/ was relevant when it was published (not sure if it still applies though)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do you get a cgm? I'm thinking about applying for one.

Hi,

I can only give you one piece of advice. It all seems to hinge on the Endo. I had an "of course" from an open minded GP.
Some cageyness & hand wringing from a DSN. (Though she did agree to be fair, regarding a change of basal.)

Then eventually a couple of weeks later, (earlier this year going in armed with everything, to back my case.) fobbed off by the man himself..

I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you get a cgm? I'm thinking about applying for one.

I know my colleague, @Juicyj self-funds a Dexcom, so I'm guessing she fruitlessly investigated NHS funding during her process. I wonder if she has any wisdom to offer you.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @steveo4

My team wouldn’t support me with a CGM, I had to have no hypo awareness to qualify, so I went down the route of self funding the Dexcom G6, it wasn’t a decision I took lightly as it’s a contract and £159 a month, but I couldn’t do without it now, it’s changed my outlook to my life and management immeasurably as I can see exactly what’s going on and get a weekly summary so can view in the Clarity app where adjustments need to be made as well as reducing my hypos.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ultimately it's down to the clinical commissioning group. I had full support from my endocrinologist, diabetes nurse at the hospital and gp, but the CCG twice refused to pay for it. Finally at a later date they funded libre, and I later bought miaomiao myself, which has helped enormously.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ultimately it's down to the clinical commissioning group. I had full support from my endocrinologist, diabetes nurse at the hospital and gp, but the CCG twice refused to pay for it. Finally at a later date they funded libre, and I later bought miaomiao myself, which has helped enormously.

Hi @Hopeful34 ,

What i found with my lot. Was the DSN wanted to share the data from my librelink account? (Self funded.)
From memory, the account shows how long I have been using the Libre from the activations & scans. But when I started using the MM & Xdrip the data became sparse on the account.
OK, I'll play along..
So, I spent the time between the DSN appointment & the endo scanning & inputting units & carbs as well as what I was doing with the xDrip app? As compliance to help them help me..

The upshot was when I got to see the endo, he didn't even look at the Librelink data.He was however mildly interested with the averages & A1c calculations regarding XDrip on my phone.. :banghead:

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That must have been very frustrating!! My hospital team look at libre data and also info from xdrip on my phone, along with downloaded info from pump and handset. I was their first patient to use miaomiao and they're really supportive and interested in all new technology that can help our time in range and hba1c. I'm extremely fortunate I know.

Reactions: Jaylee

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Unfortunately there is a criteria for it - severe hypoglycaemia where you needed assistance, hypoglycaemia unawareness - lack of symptoms or pregnancy(?)
Correct me if I’m wrong, if you decide to say you are hypo unaware and get a CGM, you may have to give up your driving license.
It also depends on your CCG, with my pump, there’s only around 80 people on it because hospitals would fund for the pump and not the CGM. I would advise speaking to your team to see what they’ll say.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

Unfortunately there is a criteria for it - severe hypoglycaemia where you needed assistance, hypoglycaemia unawareness - lack of symptoms or pregnancy(?)
Correct me if I’m wrong, if you decide to say you are hypo unaware and get a CGM, you may have to give up your driving license.
It also depends on your CCG, with my pump, there’s only around 80 people on it because hospitals would fund for the pump and not the CGM. I would advise speaking to your team to see what they’ll say.

Your partly correct but there is also the "quality of life and improvements CGM provides" view too and that having the Dexcom avoids going unavoidably low. JDRF are a good source for help and information.