Are 2 small meals better

goboldly

Are 2 small meals say 1 Hr. apart better than 1 large meal

With an example starting bg of 6,
instead of 1 Large meal causing a possible bg of 9
the small meal may be a bg of 7.5 falling after 1hr.
and then another small meal leading to a lower average
or is it not worth the hassle

Like to say thank you to all. This site has helped me greatly

Andy

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
It's a good question, but it depends on so many variables that I doubt anyone knows for sure.

We're told that it's the peak levels that cause the damage, rather than the longer term exposure to slightly higher levels (so the amlitude of the curve, rather than the area under it). I guess you might be able to reduce the peak levels, but you'd do it at the expense of being at slightly elevated levels for longer. Personally I'm happier when my BG is down below 6mmol/l than when it's hovering near (or above) 7mmol/l.

The real benefit would probably that you your appetite would be reduced if you tried to eat again after an hour...

But I'd guess that it isn't really worth the effort.

C

catherinecherub

I think you would have to wait for an HBA1c to see if your theory works. I suspect you would have more spikes.
I have always eaten regular meals with not much deviation between their timing on a daily basis. I rarely snack either.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think this is a good question for skinnies like me who want to put weight on and keep GBs at a good level .Needing to eat as much as possible although on Metformin is difficult so maybe eating more often would help . I used to love my food but now eating for a reason is taking the joy out of food I think us skinnies need more sympathy :(
CAROL

Grazer

Tricky one. Theory is that the initial pancreatic failing for a type 2 is the phase 1 insulin response - that's the stored insulin used to stop the initial peak going too high. Therefore, if you're having two small meals, you're challenging that phase 1 twice. So maybe 1 sensible meal is better for the overall Average and thus HbA1C. Overall not worth the hassle of 2 meals I'd say!

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When i'm working I like to eat as much as I can get away with (I'm a skinny type 2 like Carty) so I take 2 Burgen bread sandwiches and salad for my lunch. If I eat it all at lunchtime however I spike too high in the afternoon. I have therefore found if I have 1 sandwich about 10 to 10.30 am and then the other with my salad for lunch at noon or just after I am okay in the afternoon. This method also helps prevent me getting too low before lunch if I'm working hard too.
I guess we just have to find what suits us all and our situations best.
Regards
Angie