Are we going to die post-Brexit?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s not that European manufacturers won’t sell us the stuff. It’s the omnishambles of a government here that haven’t got any of the necessary customs infrastructure to process it when it arrives. So it could be sat on a Kent motorway or an airport holding area (with dubious temperature control) for who knows how long.
There are plans to use motorways for lorry parks

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That's not the point. They will still want to sell us stuff. It's disruption to supply chains caused by customs checks. Many components to factories or items to stores are delivered on a Just In Time basis. Companies do not hold large stocks of inventories. Check out these videos

Jason Hunter is a former trade negotiator

Sorry @dbr10 but I clicked on 'Unwatch Thread' a good while ago. I'm with @zand on Brexit now, tired of the circular arguments.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you're promised the land of milk and honey, and the issues with Brexit are all dismissed as "Project Fear" and experts are dismissed precisely because they know what they're talking about, no amount of fact based campaigning works.

Leave won because there has been little "good press" for the EU over the past forty years, and a lot of that is down to government and Boris never wanting to admit to its benefits. And of course because we have a lot of people for whom "plucky britain" doesn't need the EU. Very much a case of "What have the Romans ever done for us?".
Newspapers have exaggerated problems with the EU for years. Much of this is because they are owned by non-doms trying to fiddle their taxes. The Daily Mail is registered in Bermuda to avoid tax. The Barclay brothers own the Telegraph and live in Monaco. The EU plans to introduce a crack down on tax avoidance in January. That's largely what this is all about - and people making money from collapsing the £ and economic chaos.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope to god you are right in that but we don't know what major disruptions may in fact take place so a refrigeration lorry in the worst case scenario could keep it's engine running in order to maintain temperature control for up to two weeks on a full tank multiply that by how many lorries sitting with engine running for how long as is necessary and now if you would please calculate the rise in air pollution due to the release of particulates by said lorries.

1 August 2018
The government has proposed turning the M20 into a giant lorry park as a “temporary solution” to trade border congestion caused by a no-deal Brexit.

An impact assessment by Dover District Council, released under freedom of information law, reveals that a 13-mile coast-bound stretch of the motorway will be “earmarked” to be turned into a 2,000-vehicle lorry park.

It said the plan “needs to be delivered” before changes to customs arrangements in March 2019, but the start date for road works has not been announced. “There does not appear to be a Plan B,” the report said.

Called Operation Brock, the park is described as an “interim plan”. Nevertheless, the report predicts it will be “many years” before a permanent solution is found, and says that Highways England will spend £25m on the operation.

The current transport infrastructure, it added, is “insufficient to respond to changing border arrangements”, with the number of HGVs passing through expected to increase by 43% by 2030, to 3.8m using Dover each year.

The document also predicts that Border Inspection Posts (BIP), required for the inspection of food imports and exports, would need to be installed at Dover port and the Channel Tunnel.

Last month, a London School of Economics report found that every seven extra minutes of port check times would add 10 hours to transportation times

And that is concerning food items checks may be different for medical supplies may be quicker but I suspect not.

https://www.cips.org/en-GB/supply-m...otorway-to-become-giant-temporary-lorry-park/

I had this conversation with a friend who is insulin dependent and an ardent brexiteer over 12 months ago I feel no easier in my mind over this vexing problem now than I did then.
That is exactly right.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The scaremongering is pure evil by the establishment. Nobody will die from lack of medication , the EU need us as much as we need the medicaions. There are other countries we can buy from there's a big world out there .
The big phama companies won't miss our on their money .

Reactions: Johnpm601

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not scared in the slightest. This country has been through far worse and pulled through each time. Ask your parents/grandparents.
Remember Dunkirk. That wasn't self inflicted though.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now you've evoked a my mum's memory of a time with rationing, make do & mend. & dreadful monophonic music with no sub bass..
"There is no downside, only a considerable upside"

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
War, yes. so many died, but thousands and thousands of service men and women fought to save our country from invasion, my dad was one of them. We are in a battle and thank god, not a war.
But this is self inflicted and pointless

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes they did, fighting for their country, so not the same thing at all, but those at home got on with things, pulled together, and pulled through together. That is what we should be doing now.
Brexit Dividend - it won't be as bad as the War.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am frankly shocked that anyone thinks for one second that people will die due to lack a insulin, just goes to show how effective the nonsense we are being fed has been. lets try to get a grip, if we are so desperately in trouble because we are leaving the union, we should never have joined in the first place so getting out now must be a good thing in the long term, we should be able to stand on our own two feet.

Everything is fine, its all just something for the tv reporters to talk about, no one will die, no one taking insulin will run out unless every one starts panic prescriptioning, this is all just scaremongering so the remain campaign get a second vote. if the government are stock piling then we don't have to, they are either doing it to save money when things get more expensive or doing it to show the EU we are prepared to walk away, either way its not armageddon.

I voted remain by the way

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having recently visited a country which is a dictatorship, I am not so sure. The people were lovely and helpful without being pushy. They appear to be happy with what they have rather than thinking they have the 'rights' to have anything. Not sure this democratic country with everyone thinking they want more of everything is any better than their undemocratic one. There's still a possibility of lunatics running the asylum with or without a vote. We only have to look at USA to see that...

Just saying ;)... not criticising your post which I liked! :)
Brexit is a right wing coup by disaster capitalists. It will lead to deregulation; worse environmental, consumer and worker protections. Some of these crackpots actually talk about Singapore on Thames. The authoritarianism is already with us. The "will of the people" is straight from the 1930s.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I voted leave and I'm still proud I DID
Well done. You voted to make your grandchildren poorer and to take away their freedom of movement to live, work, travel, study and make their homes in the EU. They are going to love you.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Sean ,
The NHS is a great organisation that is messed around by politicians .The NHS will look after you ,I am a believer that we will adapt .
Is that the upside

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sky's majority shareholder is Rupert Murdoch, who supports Brexit. He also owns the Sun which supports Brexit.
He also owns the Fox TV channel in the US which supports Trump.
He buys these news outlets to influence public opinion.
And it works

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope all of you people voted NO to Brexit, as it seems as it is coming home to roost and bite all of the YES voters, insulin users or not, on the ****.

Which is exactly why we need to leave asap , think about it , if the EU would be spiteful enough not to let the UK continue to buy life saving medications just because we chose to leave the bloc , then in my eyes that makes them unworthy of being any part of .

Reactions: Dodo