1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Are we going to die post-Brexit?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by SeanJ_99, Nov 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DaveXF

DaveXF · Well-Known Member

Single day drop...yes.
    However, it could be argued that sterling was very much over valued .

• Like Like x 1
  2. DaveXF

It didn't.
    The rise in relative value of my $shares sent us all off for an excellent holiday...

Happy days...

• Like Like x 1
  3. DaveXF

How did we survive before the EU was imposed on us?
    I sit on BS/EN tech committees, I've got meetings agree and planned for well into 2019.
    The world will continue.
    Does anyone on this site truly believe that their supply of insulin, metformin, bananas and French wine will be effected post Brexit?
    Give over.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Geoffno6

Geoffno6 · Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more, the big producers of insulin and other meds will all protect their businesses and their lovely exports to the UK

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

The big difference being, of course, that from the peak of 2007 to the trough of 2009, there was a systemic financial global crisis going on.

The one day drop incurred a hit that has also gotten bigger, and from whence we have yet to see a recovery. Most of the FX market expects further drops post a no-deal brexit. And of course this is a purely UK driven effect.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Dodo

Dodo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Type 1 here and not at all upset. I agree with all you say.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. SeanJ_99

SeanJ_99 · Member

Don't know if it's scaremongering but i honestly feel like i won''t make it next year. There's no plans and we're 4 months from March. I feel like i'm living in The Walking Dead world, i wish you all good luck.

• Hug Hug x 1
  8. DaveXF

Fancy a bet that if you aren't here that it won't have anything to do with brexit?
    Naturally, I hope you are here...and you will be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DaveXF

We have nothing to worry about on the FX score.
    If sterling and the Euro hit parity again, it's not the end of this or any other world.
    I'd be paying more attention to Italy...now THAT is a big deal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Depends on whether you consider a double whammy of increased prices as a result of FX parity and increased duty as a result of no-deal brexit "nothing to worry about"....!

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Daisy_Daisy

Daisy_Daisy · Member

No!
    But I will die of boredom if they DONT get on with it!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DaveXF

Duties could equally reduce.
    The facts are that no one knows the facts

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You are too young to remember the Millenium Bug that was supposed to happen as the year 2000 dawned and computers didn't know if it was 2000 or 1900 as they only worked on the last two digits. For months before analysts speculated that entire computer networks would crash, causing widespread dysfunction for a global population that had become irreversibly dependent on computers to hold, disseminate and analyze its most vital pieces of information. What actually happened was that nobody noticed. The media love an impending disaster to speculate about, just try not to get caught up in it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A vast amount of work went on behind the scenes to make sure that nobody noticed, to be fair. That doesn’t seem to be the case this time, the Minister in charge of all this didn’t even seem to be aware that the Dover-Calais link was important...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. fairylights

fairylights Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Actually, the reason it didn't happen was because me, and people like me spent well over a year preparing for it, rewriting code and making sure that it didn't happen. I don't see any preparations on that scale being made for Brexit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Are we going to die post Brexit?
    I don't even think Brexit will make any difference to our mortality! :)

But of course our diet will suffer when all the car firms shed staff and they have to use food banks.

It ironic that the pound going down is cheered by Brexiteers because their over seas investments increase and they are better off. I don't know how the poor will take it when they find they have been duped by the wealthy and lied to.
    D.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

I hope it does not drop, the Australian dollar has dropped a bit so my UK pension has picked up with the current rate of exchange.

It took a major dump when the results for Brexit were announced, knocking around $60.00 a month off of it at the time.

18. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was also in a computer based industry at the time so I know about preperations, but my point for the OPs benefit was that the media played up the doom and gloom. Stories of people beavering away making preparations do not sell newspapers. Unless you are in the relevant departments in the civil service how would you know if preparations are being made or not?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. fairylights

fairylights Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So if you knew the sheer amount of work that went into averting this, why would you imply it was something made up by the media. Um the civil service say they have not, cannot be making adequate preparations.

• Like Like x 1
  20. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Todays Libre news would indicate no cause for concern, although April's after March so if we run out of insulin the Libres availability could be a moot point, but I see no cause for concern whatsoever.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook