Are we going to die post-Brexit?

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I voted remain but the way we have been treated in the "negotiations" has changed my mind.
Then you didn't understand that the EU is a rules based organisation and has acted exactly as it said it would. It will prioritize the interests of EU27. This was always going to be the outcome. You should not have believed the delusional fantasist who told you 27 countries needed us more than we needed them.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Remainers should think twice before trying to scare the public into supporting their point of view. Trade with countries in the EU will continue after Brexit as it does today with China & the last time I checked, China isn't in the European Union.
Trade with China is not on such advantageous terms. There will still be trade with the EU, but we are likely to face tariffs, and customs checks. That causes disruption to supplies

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you visit Guernsey or Jersey, neither of which is in the Europeasn Union, you will find many people working there from countries of the European Union. Hence there is no reason why Brexit should cause the NHS to suffer?
Except that it already has. Many EU NHS workers have already left.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's rather disingenuous. Although the Channel Islands are not direct members of the EU, they gain access to the Customs Union and Single Market through the UK's Accession. While those who have true channel island heritage are not able to move within the EU under free movement of people conditions, anyone with UK heritage (parents/grandparents/birthright or 5 years residence in the UK) can. In addition, the channel islands allow free movement of EU persons. They have chosen not to restrict access.

I think you're rather missing the mess that the Home Office is making of managing the process of "settling" EU citizens, not to mention the fractious farce that Brexit has produced in relation to EU immigrants feeling like second class citizens and deciding that they're better off out of the UK.

The country has explicitly stated that it will limit immigration of EU citizens to the UK post Brexit, and that's why Brexit will cause issues for the NHS. People will be restricted and they just won't want to come to a preceived "hostile" nation to work.
Very good

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some animal derived insulin is made in the UK - so Sir Rawlins is actually incorrect. Insulin is manufactured in Europe, but also North America and other non-EU countries. It is part of project fear to try and reverse the decision to leave the EU
No. This is nonsense. Medicines from countries outside the EU will not necessarily be licensed for use here.

Project Fact. Facts do actually matter

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sky's majority shareholder is Rupert Murdoch, who supports Brexit..
I refuse to watch BBC News, because it's so agenda-led. For a long time, Sky News was my go-to channel for news, but over time it also has adopted a pro-Remain agenda. It's as clear as day to me. Our media has become Orwellian, and objectivity has largely gone out of the window.
I now judge news sources by what they don't cover as much as by what they do cover and how they cover it.
Geoff

Reactions: Dodo

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We will get a deal as they need our custom just as we need thiers.

Edited by Mod
I don't think you quite understand the situation. Our trade with them is IIRC over 40 pc; there's with us is around 15pc. They will take a hit, but they won't compromise to help us. They are more concerned with maintaining the integrity of the EU and it's rules. They are looking after EU27 interests, not ours.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of course the EU is being hard on us and creating difficulties that aren't necessary because A) they need us and B) they don't want any other country to leave so won't make it easy for us and set a precedent. Poland is already making noises about leaving. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that in the future there will only be France, Germany and the countries such as Greece and Ireland that can't leave because they have been bailed out and owe a lot of money.
Sorry to say that is a complete misreading of the situation

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Honestly, "making noises" about leaving and leaving a two different things! Fact is, NO other country wants to leave since they saw the disaster what happens here, the rapid fall of the pound, decline of the NHS, economic damage etc etc.
Quite.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You should not have believed the delusional fantasist who told you 27 countries needed us more than we needed them.
When 27 countries buy more from us than we buy from them, the original truth is self-evident.
When ex-President Gorbachev compared the EU to the old Soviet Union, you wonder who the fantasists are.
Geoff (be careful what you wish for)

Reactions: Dodo

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Just a reminder folks that @SeanJ_99 (the OP.) was ineligible to vote during the time of the referendum.

We are where we are now. It's all about moving forward.... I certainly remember being a young man with the world moving in the wrong direction...

Quite frankly, it is not appropriate to compare or reference events regarding 20th century historical turmoil with what could (or not.) be on the current horizon with this country's negotion task..

If push comes to shove. I'll be fitting a leisure battery to my van, invest in a Weaco camping fridge.. Then off on a 18/30Mmol "med cruise." ;)

I just ain't smart enough to do a "Saxl." Yet, I still got a plan lined up. Hope this helps in the "unlikely event" of an insulin drought..

One final note; Let's keep the name calling out of the topic. Some posts have already been edited or deleted by me & my team mates..

Mercy buckets! :cool:
The OP would not have been to vote and it's his future which will be impacted. Demographics mean the 1.2m pensioners have died in the past two years, and 1.5m young voters can now vote. Plus, it was a gerrymandered campaign, involving electoral fraud and illegal overspending. UK citizens in the EU over 15 years were promised a vote and were denied one. It's a complete mess.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The NHS has been in trouble for far longer than since the referendum and the economic crash happened in 2008. Yes, there was an immediate impact on the Pound but that happens every time the stock market gets a bit jittery.
They are not necessarily linked in that way. Sometimes if £ goes down, FTSE goes up, because of firms' foreign currency earnings. Speculators made money from shorting the £ after the vote and plan to do so again. Rabobank predicts £/Euro parity on a no deal for example.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why do people try to blame Brexit on just about every thing bad that happens? The decline of the NHS began decades ago, the economic damage happened world wide with the 2008 crash. Nothing at all to do with Brexit.
Your right about the NHS decline and the financial crisis, but Brexit makes the economy poorer on any exit senario. That means less money for Public services.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Because it will make the bad worse and what was good will be lost.

But don't worry I'm sure dear Mrs May will share her stash of insulin with every one and cousin Boris will make sure every thing turns out well for the jingoistic xenophobes of this nation
Exactly right.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well whatever side you’re on thngs coming in from the EU will go up on price. Eg. all the peppers (and tomatoes in winter, other veg I wont mention fruit on here) that come in from Spain. With extra layers of paperwork virtual or otherwise and customs checks it is guaranteed the extra cost will be passed on to the British consumer. As usual the poor will only be able to afford the cheap processed rubbish even morethan currently. Its not rocket science.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The will of the people in 1975 of whom I was one.

The electorate expressed significant support for EC membership, with 67% in favour on a national turnout of 64%. The referendum result was not legally binding; however, it was widely accepted that the vote would be the final say on the matter and would be politically binding on all future Westminster Parliaments. In a 1975 pamphlet, the then Prime Minister Harold Wilson said: "I ask you to use your vote. For it is your vote that will now decide.
He was smarter than Cameron. Only had the vote because he thought he would win.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is one hell of a difference between the Common Market as it was in 1975, and what it has now become. Sorry, but no-one can dispute that.
Of course. Margaret Thatcher championed the Single Market and the four freedoms.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
They are not necessarily linked in that way. Sometimes if £ goes down, FTSE goes up, because of firms' foreign currency earnings. Speculators made money from shorting the £ after the vote and plan to do so again. Rabobank predicts £/Euro parity on a no deal for example.

Again, sorry but I wish now to be left out of this thread.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aye, it was quite busy, wasn’t it? I got as far as Downing Street before the crush was just too much, so went to Scotland Yard to protest there ;)
About their refusal to investigate the criminality.