1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Are we going to die post-Brexit?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by SeanJ_99, Nov 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Keith_Simpson

Keith_Simpson Type 2 · Active Member

If you visit Guernsey or Jersey, neither of which is in the Europeasn Union, you will find many people working there from countries of the European Union. Hence there is no reason why Brexit should cause the NHS to suffer?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

That's rather disingenuous. Although the Channel Islands are not direct members of the EU, they gain access to the Customs Union and Single Market through the UK's Accession. While those who have true channel island heritage are not able to move within the EU under free movement of people conditions, anyone with UK heritage (parents/grandparents/birthright or 5 years residence in the UK) can. In addition, the channel islands allow free movement of EU persons. They have chosen not to restrict access.

I think you're rather missing the mess that the Home Office is making of managing the process of "settling" EU citizens, not to mention the fractious farce that Brexit has produced in relation to EU immigrants feeling like second class citizens and deciding that they're better off out of the UK.

The country has explicitly stated that it will limit immigration of EU citizens to the UK post Brexit, and that's why Brexit will cause issues for the NHS. People will be restricted and they just won't want to come to a preceived "hostile" nation to work.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Why would they give a good deal? They need to make sure no one else leaves.

Edited by Mod

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #103 SamJB, Nov 7, 2018 at 9:53 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2018
  4. agwagw

agwagw LADA · Well-Known Member

Some animal derived insulin is made in the UK - so Sir Rawlins is actually incorrect. Insulin is manufactured in Europe, but also North America and other non-EU countries. It is part of project fear to try and reverse the decision to leave the EU

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Well, that's another wait and see................:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

We will get a deal as they need our custom just as we need thiers.

Edited by Mod

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    #106 Gaz-M, Nov 7, 2018 at 4:12 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2018
  7. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Of course the EU is being hard on us and creating difficulties that aren't necessary because A) they need us and B) they don't want any other country to leave so won't make it easy for us and set a precedent. Poland is already making noises about leaving. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that in the future there will only be France, Germany and the countries such as Greece and Ireland that can't leave because they have been bailed out and owe a lot of money.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. enzina

enzina LADA · Well-Known Member

Honestly, "making noises" about leaving and leaving a two different things! Fact is, NO other country wants to leave since they saw the disaster what happens here, the rapid fall of the pound, decline of the NHS, economic damage etc etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi,

Just a reminder folks that @SeanJ_99 (the OP.) was ineligible to vote during the time of the referendum.

We are where we are now. It's all about moving forward.... I certainly remember being a young man with the world moving in the wrong direction...

Quite frankly, it is not appropriate to compare or reference events regarding 20th century historical turmoil with what could (or not.) be on the current horizon with this country's negotion task..

If push comes to shove. I'll be fitting a leisure battery to my van, invest in a Weaco camping fridge.. Then off on a 18/30Mmol "med cruise." ;)

I just ain't smart enough to do a "Saxl." Yet, I still got a plan lined up. Hope this helps in the "unlikely event" of an insulin drought..

One final note; Let's keep the name calling out of the topic. Some posts have already been edited or deleted by me & my team mates..

Mercy buckets! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. SeanJ_99

SeanJ_99 · Member

Pardon me if I am dumb but what is a “SAXL”?

12. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

The NHS has been in trouble for far longer than since the referendum and the economic crash happened in 2008. Yes, there was an immediate impact on the Pound but that happens every time the stock market gets a bit jittery.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  14. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

15. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

There's a short documentary about her and Victor at link below.

A fascinating story, not just the fact that they managed to make insulin from scratch during a war but then went on to become ambassadors for diabetes at a time when there was a lot of prejudices about it, and took steps to improve availability in 3rd World countries.

Heroes.

I'm comfortable with my T1 these days, but when I get narked with it, I sometimes find myself saying, "what would Eva have done?"

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #115 Scott-C, Nov 8, 2018 at 12:14 PM
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  16. bulkbiker

Time to invest in a post brexit water buffalo farm?

17. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lol, yeah, surrounded by machine-gun nests...

• Like Like x 1
  18. bulkbiker

One way of keeping us carnivores out.. wonder what water buffalo tastes like...

• Like Like x 2
  19. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

Why do people try to blame Brexit on just about every thing bad that happens? The decline of the NHS began decades ago, the economic damage happened world wide with the 2008 crash. Nothing at all to do with Brexit.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Wow, what wonderful people they both were, I am in awe of them. Thank you for uploading the clip :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook