1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Are we going to die post-Brexit?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by SeanJ_99, Nov 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Your quote made me think of one of my favourite Ealing cinema films:- Passport to Pimlico...................

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

Because it will make the bad worse and what was good will be lost.

But don't worry I'm sure dear Mrs May will share her stash of insulin with every one and cousin Boris will make sure every thing turns out well for the jingoistic xenophobes of this nation

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Expert

The will of the people in 1975 of whom I was one.

The electorate expressed significant support for EC membership, with 67% in favour on a national turnout of 64%. The referendum result was not legally binding; however, it was widely accepted that the vote would be the final say on the matter and would be politically binding on all future Westminster Parliaments. In a 1975 pamphlet, the then Prime Minister Harold Wilson said: "I ask you to use your vote. For it is your vote that will now decide.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

There is one hell of a difference between the Common Market as it was in 1975, and what it has now become. Sorry, but no-one can dispute that.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Bluetit1802 - I’m assuming that as your profile says you’re a T2 in remission, that you don’t take insulin? I don’t think you can comprehend the fear that some of us who rely on the stuff to survive are living under just now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

You are quite right. I am T2 and don't take any meds at all, for anything. However, I do understand that many of you are worried, and I sympathise with you. I apologise if my posts have upset anyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

Please do let your MP know how you feel, whoever they are. If they are Brexiters, tell them how worried you are and the damage they are doing. If they are active remain supporters, thank them and encourage them. You can find out who your MP is here, https://www.parliament.uk/mps-lords-and-offices/mps/ There's not much time left, do it now!
    Sally

• Like Like x 2
  8. LooperCat

Already done, several times since the misguided opinion poll of June 2016! My MP is a remainer, marched with us last month for a People’s Vote, and is on side. I’ve also recently written to TM the PM and Matt Hancock (Health Secretary), my MEP and the leader of my own party. I’m already a very active campaigner on this issue, so I hope your comment will give others the info they need to do the same :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

Oh, well done! More letters than us, but we were on the march, if you can call standing outside The Dorchester waiting to move off for a couple of hours "marching". Got as far as Trafalgar Square.
    Sally

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. LooperCat

Aye, it was quite busy, wasn’t it? I got as far as Downing Street before the crush was just too much, so went to Scotland Yard to protest there ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Sorry, just not true. The crash in the pound that followed the Brexit vote was the largest single-day drop that any of the four global currencies in which bulk of global hard cash reserves are held has seen since the collapse of Bretton Woods in the early 70s. To put it into perspective, it was twice as bad as Black Wednesday.

And of course there's the stuff that the "Open Insulin Project" has done...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

But the sky still did not fall down.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Cheers, RRB!

It's difficult to truly understand the stress they must have went through. Can you imagine injecting homemade stuff, having no real idea how potent it was, knowing potency will change from batch to batch, not knowing whether it was infected or not, and not being able to measure bg in any meaningful way, while there's bombs dropping a couple of blocks away?

I've found her story a useful "mind game" for keeping things in perspective. Sure, T1 is still a difficult gig, I'm not trying to understate or dismiss the seriousness of it, but whenever things are going a bit sketchy for me, I take a deep breath and remind myself things are way easier for me now than for Eva. I can't complain about it, it's just something I need to sort.

There's probably a lot of others around the world who have done the same thing, but their stories haven't been written.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Geoffno6

Geoffno6 · Well-Known Member

I think it’ll all be fine after Brexit. There are too many vested interests on both sides of the channel to allow a shambles. Growth will be a little slower but it’ll be fine. And .....if you disagree you actually want to be wrong!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Geoffno6

But we will all die after Brexit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Geoffno6

But nowhere near as bad as the collapse of the pound at the end of (I think it was) 2007. If my memory serves me right, the pound slowly went from 1.5 to the Euro almost to parity not in a day but over several months. A big one day fall is rarely a big fall per se.

17. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

Except for those folk who were about to cash in their pension plans. I don't suppose the future looked very bright for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I agree on that point. Phillip Green needs to be prosecuted and pdq!

19. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

IMG_1259.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. Zilsniggy

Zilsniggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

And would you trust China to supply your insulin?

• Agree Agree x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook