EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
In your case, is there any reason to believe that vaccination will interfere with your medication or following lifestyle?

Well, I'm prepared that it might make my insulin needs a little strange for a few days. I take the flu vaccine every year because I know the flu could totally mess up my insulin needs and send me to hospital. I will happily take the covid vaccine as soon as it is offered, because I think catching covid would be way worse for me than any minor effect of the vaccination.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The article is blocked.
The debate police in action. A dangerous precedent to deny personal opinion, in my opinion.
The guy, Henry Slade, is an international rugby player who is T1.
He is a bright guy who has weighed things up and made a personal decision. To deny him the chance to speak about that, or more accurately, to prevent other people reading about that, is plain wrong. In fact, the more I see this sort of behavious, the more suspicious I am about what we're being told, or not.
A google will find the article in at least 3 online broadsheet newspapers.

(For the record, I weighed it up and have had a double Pfizer dose)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The article is blocked.
The debate police in action. A dangerous precedent to deny personal opinion, in my opinion.
He is a bright guy who has weighed things up and made a personal decision. To deny him the chance to speak about that, or more accurately, to prevent other people reading about that, is plain wrong. In fact, the more I see this sort of behavious, the more suspicious I am about what we're being told, or not.

Hi,

When you google it. it seems to pop up in all the papers.. Here for instance..? https://www.independent.ie/sport/ru...-he-wont-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-40477387.html

For the record, i had both mine. though i had side effects last 24 hours after the 2 jabs.
I cant say it messed with my BGs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In your case, is there any reason to believe that vaccination will interfere with your medication or following lifestyle?

No

(and in the quoted article - thanks @Jaylee for the working link - the guy is apparently a young, fit healthy sporty person with diabetes, so his risk from covid is extremely low, especially now that so many others in the UK have had the covid jab and the UK is nearing herd immunity - thank you everyone who is in that group, because you are helping to protect vulnerable people such as my family members with heavily compromised immune systems.

So this sports person's decision not to jab is entirely up to him, but I don't see why it is all over the media, or why it is relevant to anyone else - except those left more vulnerable by his decision not to contribute to herd immunity.

Fortunately, I have already had one jab, and the second is scheduled soon. I do not anticipate any issues with it, but if there are, I am sure they will be less unpleasant than a hefty dose of covid would be.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The article is blocked.

He hasn't been banned from talking about it at all. At the end of the day he's a sportsman, why should ANY publication not have the right to show an article or not, especially when he is not speaking in any official capacity or on behalf of any organisation? That would be like me writing up a purely opinion piece and demanding Diabetes UK publish it. Hardly denied anything in my opinon.

Reactions: oldgreymare

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That statement is completely unsupported as you simply have no idea what the side effects may be for this specific person.

I do not anticipate any issues with it, but if there are, I am sure they will be less unpleasant than a hefty dose of covid would be.

I suspect that Lisa Shaw thought exactly the same too.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1622186078

So this sports person's decision not to jab is entirely up to him, but I don't see why it is all over the media, or why it is relevant to anyone else

So why are we shown thousands of images of other "celebrities" getting theirs I wonder..?

Edit to add... the answer to the question for me is no unless the coercion becomes even greater and my life becomes ever more restricted which would of course be completely illegal (although that seems to matter very little any more).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That statement is completely unsupported as you simply have no idea what the side effects may be for this specific person.
The original poster asked for my opinion, I gave it.
Just because you happen to disagree with my opinion does not invalidate it, or make my answer 'wrong'.

I suspect that Lisa Shaw thought exactly the same too.
She may have.
We all make risk judgements in life, some pay off, some don't.
I am very sympathetic to those rare few who suffer from any medical contraindication from any vaccine - and for their families.
Each one a tragedy.
Just like the millions of deaths from covid are, each one, a tragedy.

So why are we shown thousands of images of other "celebrities" getting theirs I wonder..?
Probably for the same reasons that any story hits the media and social media.
Journalists want to get paid, people want to read the stories and 'celebs' want publicity any way they can find it.
I see no value in either promoting or decrying vaccination by 'celebs'.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The original poster asked for my opinion, I gave it.
Just because you happen to disagree with my opinion does not invalidate it, or make my answer 'wrong'.

Saying emphatically "No" is not an opinion it is a statement of fact. Had you prefaced it with "in my opinion" or "I think" I would agree, however you chose not to.

I did not say you were "wrong" simply that your statement of fact was unsupported.
Please refrain from misrepresenting what I said.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker

Here, I will reproduce exactly the exchange you have misunderstood.
You can also find it in post #5 above.

It was a nice simple question, and a nice simple response. :)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had my two shots and the only thing I noticed was a very slight tenderness in the injection site for a couple of days.
BG not affected.
Bit like all the other vaccines I've had... except the Cholera, which really did knock me for six.
As with all things, time will tell.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I'm going to get vaccinated (first jab next monday) and yes I expect the vaccination may cause my insulin needs to go up or down for a while.
I'm a bit puzzled where Henry Slade comes in though, what's he have to do with my vaccination or side effects?

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He hasn't been banned from talking about it at all. At the end of the day he's a sportsman, why should ANY publication not have the right to show an article or not, especially when he is not speaking in any official capacity or on behalf of any organisation? That would be like me writing up a purely opinion piece and demanding Diabetes UK publish it. Hardly denied anything in my opinon.
I couldn't open the link above in the OPs post. It says blocked.
Don't know whether it's just me, an algorythm or personal intervention.
My suspicious nature I guess.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I couldn't open the link above in the OPs post. It says blocked.
Don't know whether it's just me, an algorythm or personal intervention.
My suspicious nature I guess.

Same here Jo, was curious to read it but it's blocked, it's not this site's call though, the mods here would remove it if it was dangerous or misleading and they haven't so it's a link issue.

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I'm going to get vaccinated (first jab next monday) and yes I expect the vaccination may cause my insulin needs to go up or down for a while.
I'm a bit puzzled where Henry Slade comes in though, what's he have to do with my vaccination or side effects?
I'll qualify this be saying that I can't open the original link from this site. As I've said above, it may be just me.

If indeed he has been blocked from offering his opinion, it means less information for you to make your decision.
His being shut down is not an isolated case.
I know that poeple have been closed down. When I made my decision I researched quite a lot before deciding to have the vaccine. I researched a lot because I felt I was being railroaded into having it and became suspicious.
It is a really, really important decision and we, as citizens and sensible people, should be given all the facts.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it was the Time's story then you need a subscription, so here's the cheap version: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/england-henry-slade-coronavirus-vaccine-24201796

Odd statement

Screenshot 2021-05-28 at 12.09.27.png

How do we know they are "unfounded" when the trials are not scheduled to be complete until 2023 and we have zero data on long term possible side effects.. and people appear to be getting ill and dying at a fairly regular rate post vaccination.

There's definitely an anti vaccine sceptic tone in all of the mainstream media I have to wonder why...

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whether to have the vaccine or not is a personal decision
Carol

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had both my vaccinations.

1) my body, my choice
2) My decision to protect others who cant be vaccinated is also my choice.

Its up to the individual to make their own choices. One thing most of us on here have in common is that we do the research and make our own informed decisions about our healthcare and how it affects us and others.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This bloke thinks he won’t (paywall).

Henry Slade exclusive: 'I am not going to have a Covid vaccine - I don't agree with it all'

Had both jabs (Pfizer), sore arm and felt tired after both. After second one had an upset tummy the following afternoon but may easily have been a coincidence.

Definitely think I came off better having the vaccine compared to catching Covid.

Each to their own but personally I would rather not risk Covid - just because this chap is young and healthy doesn't mean he couldn't end up seriously ill in hospital, experiencing long Covid or other long term health conditions that we are unaware of at the moment. Any risk of side effects of the vaccine seem extremely minimal in comparison.

Reactions: hankjam