Averaging 20-25 mmol

Calibos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi everyone.

I was diagnosed about two years with type 2. I was 18 stone at the time. I have lost 75lbs and I am a decent weight for my height and build now. I have steadily been 12st 8 for a good while. All of a sudden in the last few days my blood sugar has been in the early to mid 20s everytime I check.

Please give me some advice - how do I get it down? What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@daisy1 will be along shortly, read all the info, then give us a breakdown of what you eat and if you have a meter and what your blood sugar levels are!

You have made the first steps to a better understanding of diabetes.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
These levels are dangerously high. You need to seek medical help right away!

Calibos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
This was my day so far and is a fairly typical day for me.

Started off the day with two Weetabix and a sprinkling of crunchy muesli to give a bit of something to it.

Lunch was a bowl of Heinz Farmer;s Market Soup a Muller Light yoghurt.

A medium sized baked potato with a medium sized chicken curry.

Snacks

1 small apple
1 medium orange
1 large banana

Will probably have some toast later with Marmite on.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You say recently your sugars are in the 20s give us a little more background what were they before
And I have to say no way could I eat what you have had without seriously pushing my sugars up

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Oh. Are you having a laugh? If not then stop eating that garbage before it kills you. That much carbs would not be good for a non-diabetic. Why are you eating like that?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Calibos

Hello Calibos and welcome to the forum :)
You have already received some replies to your post and I think you will be getting a lot more. You have been eating too many carbs which have made your glucose levels rise far too high. You need to revise your diet rapidly and you will receive many tips from members soon. Here is the information we give to new members and it will give you some details about carbs and diet. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bit harsh there no carbs
Perhaps calibos took the nhs advice on diagnosis
That would have been an average sort of day for me before I was diagnosed

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

Started off the day with two Weetabix and a sprinkling of crunchy muesli to give a bit of something to it.

Snacks

1 small apple
1 medium orange
1 large banana

Everything you afe eating is carb laden.

Try swopping for foods that are listed within the low carb forum.

Light yogurts are normally light in fat but heavy in sugars and carbs. Bananas and apples and oranges with your levels are exasperating the problems.. Try swopping for a handful of nuts..

Try sweet potatos instead of white potatoes.

Shop bought soups are dreadful for carbs...

Instead of bread try ryvita or oatcakes...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, that diet is very high in carbs as the other posters have said. Reducing the carbs should help get the BS down. If it doesn't have the right effect it's possible that Late onset T1 (LADA) lies in the background so do see the GP if a low carb diet (perhaps 150gm/day or less) doesn't bring the BS down. LADA would require more medication as well as diet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Snacks

1 small apple
1 medium orange
1 large banana

I agree with the others. Your diet is what is causing these high readings.

Carbs convert to glucose once in the system. Glucose is what we don't want too much of.

Weetabix and all other cereals are not a wise choice for diabetics.
Tinned soup is also not a wise choice. Read the nutrition label and check the number of carbs in the tin.
The Light yogurt will have a lot of carbs due to added sugar. Check the label. Try a plain full fat Greek yogurt or an unsweetened one.
Baked potatoes (and mash) should be avoided, no matter how "medium". New potatoes are better, but only a couple.
Your choice of fruit isn't good either. Half an apple may be OK but oranges and especially bananas should be avoided. Bananas turn to glucose immediately you take your first bite. (That's why athletes eat them during competitions). Try a few berries instead (with cream or yogurt) or nuts or cheese.
Bread is also one to avoid or only have a small slice of low carb bread.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but going low carb is the best (and only) way to get your BS under control and keep it there.

Calibos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Bare in mind I have lost 75lbs since diagnosis and I used to be a heffa! Eating what I do now has been a massive change to what I was like 3 years ago.

However, this has been an average day for me for a while then all of a sudden going up from about 7.5 to the 20s I just can't understand it. No real changes have taken place from my getting it under control to now.

I am on 2 500mg tablets of Metformin a day.

Some more direct advice would be good.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you test any of your meals? Testing before and 2 hours after, to see what that meal has done to your levels?

When you say your levels have gone from 7.5 to the 20's, exactly when in the day is this?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The way you have been eating and exercise would have brought your weight down but done nowt for your blood sugars. It's the carbs that's doing it. I would be visiting hospital with that level of lack of control.
Keep reading and learning. Get a new diet!

Calibos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
The way you have been eating and exercise would have brought your weight down but done nowt for your blood sugars. It's the carbs that's doing it. I would be visiting hospital with that level of lack of control.
Keep reading and learning. Get a new diet!

What would your typical day be Nosher? Breakfast is a struggle for me as I used to have a huge breakfast to get me going for the day and I get painfully hungry in the morning if I don't have a decent breakfast.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A lot of us have berries for breAkfast.

I know you asked Nosher but when I have breakfast its either

A) 2 soft boiled eggs

B) frozen berries from Lidl in a ramekin defrosted overnight with a teaspoon each of chia seeds and flaxseed with double creeam. Hubby has full fat greek yogurt.

If you could say when you are testing it could give an idea towards why your levels have increased.

However I would personally advise that you need to see your GP next week.

It is great that you have achieved so much weightloss, but to me it appears that your body is now kicking back against the carbs and you need to either reduce them more or poosibly have an increase in meds.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Snacks

1 small apple
1 medium orange
1 large banana

As others have said, that looks like way too many carbs. It's similar to what I'd have eaten before I was diagnosed and the night before I went to the docs my BS was 23.7 (which is what prompted me to go - I'd been feeling lousy and my wife decided to buy a BG meter when she saw them in the supermarket).

Here's a sample of what I eat now

Breakfast: Full fat unsweetened yoghurt with a few strawberries
Lunch: 2 roast chicken thighs, 1 drumstick and some mayo
Dinner: 2 eggs, 2 rashers of bacon, a tinned tomato (no juice), 2 high meat content sausages followed by strawberries and double cream

Snacks: Coffee with a dash of full fat milk

There was a total of 23g of carbs in my entire day's food. I can't stress enough how much low carb has helped my BG levels - I've gone from a fasting figure of 17+ to 4.5-5.5 since the middle of November!

Having said all that, however, I can only echo what others have said: Get to the doctors pronto because those are dangerously high figures

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What would your typical day be Nosher? Breakfast is a struggle for me as I used to have a huge breakfast to get me going for the day and I get painfully hungry in the morning if I don't have a decent breakfast.

I have a full fat Greek yogurt (100g) with some fresh chopped up strawberries added, or blueberries or raspberries and 20g flax seed sprinkled on.. With a mug of tea or two this satisfies me entirely until lunch time. Fat is satiating, carbs just make you more hungry.

or Bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes

or Eggs cooked any which way, omelette with cheese, mushrooms, whatever.

and/or cold meats

I think it sounds like you are frightened of fat. Unless you have some other health issues, don't be afraid of fat. If you cut the carbs and replace with additional fats, you won't gain weight. I have lost over 4 stones eating low carb with higher fat (butter, yogurt, mayonnaise, cheese, eggs, fry ups) It is carbs that make you fat.

You can eat any meat, any fish, salads, above ground vegetables, green veg, dairy but not too much milk (full of sugar), mushrooms, tomatoes, eggs. The list is endless.

Calibos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Thanks Phil and DonnellysDogs!!!!

I appreciate your suggestions.

Full fat yoghurt for breakfast - just wondering why?

Please anyone else with examples of what you eat I would really appreciate more please. I am booked in to the Dr's for Tuesday.

Calibos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I have a full fat Greek yogurt (100g) with some fresh chopped up strawberries added, or blueberries or raspberries and 20g flax seed sprinkled on.. With a mug of tea or two this satisfies me entirely until lunch time. Fat is satiating, carbs just make you more hungry.

or Bacon, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes

or Eggs cooked any which way, omelette with cheese, mushrooms, whatever.

and/or cold meats

I think it sounds like you are frightened of fat. Unless you have some other health issues, don't be afraid of fat. If you cut the carbs and replace with additional fats, you won't gain weight. I have lost over 4 stones eating low carb with higher fat (butter, yogurt, mayonnaise, cheese, eggs, fry ups) It is carbs that make you fat.

You can eat any meat, any fish, salads, above ground vegetables, green veg, dairy but not too much milk (full of sugar), mushrooms, tomatoes, eggs. The list is endless.

SPOT ON! Thanks bluetit! You have absolutely nailed my diagnosis!