Bernstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuggsy

Dislikes
Being preached at about low carbing
What is it with the Bernstein Bible??

As far as I am aware he is only one of thousands of people who have written books about diabetes.

Does he walk on water?

Perhaps I've been misdiagnosed as according to Bernstein I've got Diebetes as I am not following his ten commandments.

Am looking for a vaccine if anyone knows of one.

iHs

I was innoculated last year Fuggsy before the syndrome broke out :mrgreen:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The thing about Bernstein's book is that he's a T1, who is a doctor and whose patients do particularly well. there are loads of books out there. Most are not written by diabetics. A lot are by "Experts" who have no experience of the condition and a few are by "nutritionists" who don't have any qualifications. You don't even need to have a GCSE in this country to call yourself a nutritionist. Witness Gillian Mc Keith, who got caught out having "bought" her Ph. D from some distance learning esablishment.
Since I have the genuine right to puB. SC. after my name, I could set up as a nutritionist and put thedegree after my name and no-one could prosecute me. I studied plant pathology.
Ps Bernstein is probably the single person eho did the most towards getting blood testing machines out from the doctors'surgeries to the patients. He is still practicing and is at least in his 70s.

ally5555

hana - alot of his stuff is very anecdotal where is the research?

I am a real sceptic about him - he is supposed to be hypo all the time ?!!!!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
ally5555 said:
hana - alot of his stuff is very anecdotal where is the research?

I am a real sceptic about him - he is supposed to be hypo all the time ?!!!!

Do you have evidence to back that up,Ally,or is that anecdotal as well?

Fuggsy

Dislikes
I must confess having read his book I can't see what all the fuss is about.

I too have heard that he spends most of his time in hypo's though I can't recall exactly where I saw it, so I have to agree with Ally.

I don't like the fact that for many people on this forum it's Bernstein's Way or the Highway.

I for one have a mind of my own so will continue to use it whilst I do still have one.

gbtyke

I notice that you are using a pump. For type 2's (I'm querying that diagnosis at the moment) with few or no meds. low carbohydrate is the only thing that allows us to get numers in single figures. If it didn't work people wouldn't recommend it. I'm new and very grateful for the advice. If I get insulin will I add more carbs? I will test it and see.

ally5555

Yes sue anecdotal too but much of bernsteins ramblings are very anecdotal about his pts - I have listened to several of his teleconferences.

Hana - you are right you could call yourself a nutritionist the title is not protected yet but may well be soon - like Dietitian. The Nutrition Society is working on this - I use both titles.
it is something I am very passionate about as I have encountered alot of quacks over the years - and I would include a few doctors in that too, and so called celebrity nuts like Holford. Mckeith, Briffa and co.

I have met many type 1 who are like him with no complications - in fact met a man when I first qualified who nust have been one of the first to go on it and he was well - cant remeber how old he was but as a youngster he seemed really old lol.

ally5555

I have said this so many times but I have loads of pts with good results who are not low carbing. I also have pts with awful results but they will not do anything about it !

davenol2

gbtyke said:
I notice that you are using a pump. For type 2's (I'm querying that diagnosis at the moment) with few or no meds. low carbohydrate is the only thing that allows us to get numers in single figures. If it didn't work people wouldn't recommend it. I'm new and very grateful for the advice. If I get insulin will I add more carbs? I will test it and see.

Once again a low carber posting in a forum thats is not about low carbs pushing the message about low carbs. The thread is about bernstien not low carbs.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
The thread is about bernstien not low carbs.

Just a comment but that is a bit of a contradiction in terms as that is what Berstein is all about!!

davenol2

ok sue i accept what you are saying but gbtyke has used this forum which is about non low carbing to push the low carb message instead of discssing the wrongs or rights of bernstein

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Fair enough comment.Personally I don't care how people control their diabetes as long as they do control it.

Fuggsy

Dislikes
gbtyke said:

I am type 2

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi fuggsy.

Your profile say's T1.5 ? :?

Fuggsy

Dislikes
Sorry, didn't click the right thing. Have changed it now

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Thanks for that fuggsy. :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There's nothing quite like a closed mind!
Bernstein is a doctor who knows how his patients are doing. He has a duty of confidentiality, so only quotes what they allow him to.
I have NEVER managed to find anyone who has been his patient and who hasn't been satisfied with the treatment.
Ally, I am certain you have patients doing well as you have ones who aren't.
The point about Bernstein's patients, is that they do well on minimal medication. Since ALL medication has some side effects, that in itself is a good thing.
Wjhen I first encountered Bernstein, I thought he was going too far. I've reversed that opinion, over time, as a result of my friendship with David Mendosa. Without David's encouragement, I'd still be 16 1/2 stone and inreasing my use of medication. Instead of slimmer than I was at 40 and fitter, despite the T2
Bernstein is great and if all great men have eccentricities, that is understandable.
How many of us would have had the guts in their 40s to drop a good career as an engineer and retrain as a doctor? I wish I'd done it, I know I should have.

Fuggsy

Dislikes
Pot, Kettle, Black.

When you go away on Holiday, you took your metformin and starlix as you ate far too many carbs!!!

Luckily, some of us aren't of the Lemming Genus

Status
Not open for further replies.