Best Home Monitor Kit

G10166

Hello, I am new to this (not diabetic) but my dad has T2DM (and his dad had it too), so I think there is a hereditary link. For the last 6 months or so, I have been having episodes very similar to the symptoms of a mild hypo. Is there a reliable home monitor kit I can use to monitor my blood glucose over time, please?

On a side note, I had one of those DNA tests done (it was a gift) and they found I was at higher risk of developing T2DM, insulin resistance and higher levels of circulating branched-chain amino acids (BCAA).
I've been resistance training for about 3 years and recently started taking BCAA after training - these are insulinogenic and decrease insulin sensitivity - am I doing more harm than good?
I am also worried about the amount of food I do eat for my height and weight (in order to build muscle) may be detrimental to my insulin sensitivity - although the resistance training itself will be preventative.

Thank you!!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum.

I use the Tee2. @Rachox has some good info.

We normally tell newbies that a meter is essential. Most of us follow a low carb way of eating.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For the last 6 months or so, I have been having episodes very similar to the symptoms of a mild hypo
Do note that hypos are not symptoms of undiagnosed diabetes, if diabetics have hypos its due to the medication not the diabetes itself.

G10166

Welcome to the forum.

I use the Tee2. @Rachox has some good info.

We normally tell newbies that a meter is essential. Most of us follow a low carb way of eating.

Ah thank you, will check it out! I don't have diabetes, but all my carb consumption is low GI (I have around 40% of total calories from carbs)

G10166

Do note that hypos are not symptoms of undiagnosed diabetes, if diabetics have hypos its due to the medication not the diabetes itself.

Oh ha, you can tell this is not my strong point ha! I don't have diabetes, but I am worried of developing it. I just wondered if the symptoms I had were due to low blood sugar - so this wouldn't happen unless I was taking medication?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @G10166 and welcome to the forum. Thanks for the tag @xfieldok .

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter with cheap strips, the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively (these are printed on a business card supplied with the meter).

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I just wondered if the symptoms I had were due to low blood sugar - so this wouldn't happen unless I was taking medication?

Hypo symptoms can occur at "normal" blood sugar levels if your body gets used to higher levels. There are also other reasons for hypos (eg reactive hypoglycemia). Frankly at 24 and at normal weight your chances of having T2 now are very low, but in the long term your family history makes you high risk if you eat too many carbs for your body to tolerate. (And your family history means that you probably will have to watch your carbs at some point.)

You could get a meter and check for hypos though, if they are bothering you. (Some people just feel a bit shakey before meals ...)

Good luck.

G10166

Hypo symptoms can occur at "normal" blood sugar levels if your body gets used to higher levels. There are also other reasons for hypos (eg reactive hypoglycemia). Frankly at 24 and at normal weight your chances of having T2 now are very low, but in the long term your family history makes you high risk if you eat too many carbs for your body to tolerate. (And your family history means that you probably will have to watch your carbs at some point.)

You could get a meter and check for hypos though, if they are bothering you. (Some people just feel a bit shakey before meals ...)

Good luck.

Thank you for your response and advice!
Yeah, I don't suspect I'd have anything yet, hopefully never! But I am worried about this and I worry that my lifestyle of lifting and trying to build muscle, which requires some carbohydrates and lots of protein, may be detrimental!

Just to get a rough idea, what % of carbs equate to the total caloric intake in a T2 please?

Thanks!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would not touch bcaa's - there is no need unless you intend on getting to a competitive level.

I eat meat and fish, usually on the same day and get my head right to cause muscle damage. The results so far are 220 max deadlift, 130 bench 200 squat with on nothing but food. Lean muscle mass 72 kg out of 92 kg.

G10166

I would not touch bcaa's - there is no need unless you intend on getting to a competitive level.

I eat meat and fish, usually on the same day and get my head right to cause muscle damage. The results so far are 220 max deadlift, 130 bench 200 squat with on nothing but food. Lean muscle mass 72 kg out of 92 kg.

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Do you know what your protein and carb intakes are for your total calories, please?
Well done of those lifts!! I'd love to compete, but I still have a long way to go with building muscle!
I haven't really used any yet, but was planning to do when I do a shred/cut since my caloric intake will be lower and in the need to retain muscle.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi, thanks for your reply!

Do you know what your protein and carb intakes are for your total calories, please?
Well done of those lifts!! I'd love to compete, but I still have a long way to go with building muscle!
I haven't really used any yet, but was planning to do when I do a shred/cut since my caloric intake will be lower and in the need to retain muscle.
I'll do a calculation later, as I did a day of measuring around 3 weeks ago, so just need to collate. I tend not to count, as \i focus on foods that keep insulin low.

G10166

I'll do a calculation later, as I did a day of measuring around 3 weeks ago, so just need to collate. I tend not to count, as \i focus on foods that keep insulin low.
Hello, apologies to bother you, but I was just wondering if you had chance to do a rough calculation, please. No worries if not though!!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions

But non diabetics can have hypoglycemic episodes as well a couple of years ago Simon Cowell fell down a flight of stairs at home according to his own account at the time this was due to a faint brought on by low blood sugar when at the top of the stairs he said afterwards he had not been eating properly for a few days and had ended up with low blood sugars.

As far as I know he does not have diabetes but I could be wrong about that please correct me if you know better.

G10166

But non diabetics can have hypoglycemic episodes as well a couple of years ago Simon Cowell fell down a flight of stairs at home according to his own account at the time this was due to a faint brought on by low blood sugar when at the top of the stairs he said afterwards he had not been eating properly for a few days and had ended up with low blood sugars.

As far as I know he does not have diabetes but I could be wrong about that please correct me if you know better.

Thank you for sharing this!