Best Keto Diet Plan

Su.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replies. I was hoping for some input about intermittent fasting whether this can fix blood sugar levels or if there was another thing I could do. I'm not doing low carb unless I absolutely have to

Reactions: saky

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for replies. I was hoping for some input about intermittent fasting whether this can fix blood sugar levels or if there was another thing I could do. I'm not doing low carb unless I absolutely have to
It will help, especially with insulin resistance, but as a stand-alone tool won’t directly do very much for blood sugar levels. It’ll need be accompanied by at least some kind of carb reduction.

Last edited:

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I'm not doing low carb unless I absolutely have to
What we're you eating apart from avocado and olive oil?
Your original HbA1c of 48 is only just into the diabetic range, 4 weeks later, 43 is just 2 points from a normal level.
Just a few tweeks to your diet should be enough, low carb can be anything from full on keto to 150g of carbs a day, It really does not need to be as hard as you seem to think.
after all a breakfast of say cereal a piece of fruit and some juice, could easily amount to over 70g of carbs
Bacon and eggs = no carbs, no hardship

Reactions: saky and Antje77

Su.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I do intermittent fasting I don't eat breakfast and if I did it wouldn't be cereal fruit and juice - what an awful breakfast.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
So what were you eating that has convinced you that low carb is not for you, apart from the avocado and olive oil?

Reactions: Antje77

Su.

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't make myself very clear and I mentioned olive oil and avocado as that really was nasty. If I ate fat instead of carbs it gave me a poorly tummy. I miss the starchy food, especially bread, so instead for lunch and dinner I'd have chicken, and I'd eat that with salad with some berries. I don't need to lose weight but I did eating that.

Reactions: catinahat

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I think it's always likely to upset our stomach if we make drastic changes. If you are not used to eating lots of fatty food I can see why you might be reluctant to try again.
As I mentioned earlier, your levels are only just a little above what they should be, which should give you a little wriggle room as far as carbs are concerned.
Personally although I don't avoid fat, i will always choose full fat yoghurt, cream in my coffee and if my meat comes with fat, I eat it, but I don't consider my diet to be a high fat one.
I don't purposely add lashings of fat to my meals, I just avoid all of the main carby things like cereal, rice, pasta and bread. Then fill up with lots of meat, eggs, vegetables and salad, if i get hungry I will have some more meat or cheese or just a coffee with a good splash of double cream

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are used to eating carbs and switch to a fatter diet, your gut microbiotics need to alter to the fat. the bacteria which handle carbs don't work with fats, and vice versa. So the balance of bacteria alters to accommodate the food stuffs eaten, this can result in a few days of unsettled bowels until they adjust to the new way of eating. You have to give it time for this to happen. It's like the people that give up on Metformin before they have a chance to get used to it.

• Agree
Reactions: saky and Speedbird

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are heightened risks and limitations for those with type 1 diabetes pursuing the keto diet. Reduced carb intake lowers insulin requirements, but this must be balanced properly with adjustments in insulin dosage. The risk of low blood sugar and ketoacidosis also increases substantially. For these reasons, most experts advise type 1 diabetics to avoid very low carb diets due to safety concerns.
Hello and welcome - I see you don't have diabetes. What are you basing the advice on? It can't be your own experience. You are also talking about the impact on Type 1 diabetes when the majority of people in this thread are Type 2.