Best way of losing weight?

pms543

I'm type 2 and I weighed myself today. I seem to have put on an extra 13 pounds since last May!!
Is eating low carb the best way to lose?
Thanks

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2 and I weighed myself today. I seem to have put on an extra 13 pounds since last May!!
Thanks
My own view is that a good approach is to combine low carbs with an eye out for ensuring overall calorie reduction as well, with some regular exercise thrown in.

Reactions: EllieM and pms543

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Another vote for low carb from me, no weighing or counting and no hunger, just steady weight loss and lower blood sugar. The weight loss has stopped now and according to my bmi I still have a little way to go, but I'm almost 4 stones lighter and I feel better than I have for years, so who cares

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I do Keto as it is the only thing that works for me. Fairly easy as well. I am coming up to a 2 stone weight loss since the summer and I am usually a slow loser due to me being inactive.

• Friendly
Reactions: coby

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb was best for me. There's often no need to count calories as well.
I believe it does no harm to be aware of overall energy intake, as ultimately that is the weight loss determinant. Dr Unwin is very clear on that even though his approach focuses on low carbs. For sure, low carbs greatly assists moderated eating patterns and hence weight loss. But someone eating 30g of daily carbs while gorging on prodigious amounts of fat while sitting all day in front of the telly is not likely to lose weight.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and Lainie71

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
With me I found that missing breakfasts and not eating until midday was excellent! I had drinks of course and stuck to low carb. I lost the weight in 7 weeks and it stayed off and my blood sugar is always in the 5's

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low carb worked and continues to work for me. I started it to reduce my blood glucose (successfully) but weight loss came along as well after a bit. I have lost at least 60lbs since the beginning of 2020, not sure because I really don't know how heavy I was at the beginning . Still losing.

No idea how many calories I currently eat. What I do is limit myself to 20g carbs/day, eat one big meal a day and nothing much outside that. Apart from that I eat as much as I want, so I've never been hungry.

I sat around for most of lockdown and only really started to exercise properly last year, after most of the weight had already gone, so I put the weight loss down to low carb eating.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EllieM

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do keto but I also have to keep an eye on my calories especially from dairy, but I’m a long way into my weight loss journey so I think that’s why I have to watch calories too, in the beginning low carb was enough but I had a LOT of weight to lose. Maybe for you keto/low carb will be enough

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best overall situation is to have gained enough experience with one’s own successful mode of eating that one emerges wholly from the counting game, whether of carbs or cals, and just enjoy with confidence the way one eats. Many in this forum now do exactly that. I still do a lot of counting because, although I’ve got my blood glucose under control I continue to experiment with different macronutrient mixes out of interest. If it were not for that I wouldn’t count at all.

Reactions: EllieM and HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But someone eating 30g of daily carbs while gorging on prodigious amounts of fat while sitting all day in front of the telly is not likely to lose weight.
Whilst this is true, in reality the vast majority don’t actually do this because when you remove the carbs that cause cravings and replace them with satiating fats and proteins it’s really hard to actually eat that much. Obviously there will be exceptions but keto or low carb don’t necessarily equate to prodigious amount of fat. Once established and eating to hunger, not emotions for example, it usually means what used to be considered normal amounts before the 1970’s.

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst this is true, in reality the vast majority don’t actually do this because when you remove the carbs that cause cravings and replace them with satiating fats and proteins it’s really hard to actually eat that much. Obviously there will be exceptions but keto or low carb don’t necessarily equate to prodigious amount of fat. Once established and eating to hunger, not emotions for example, it usually means what used to be considered normal amounts before the 1970’s.
I totally agree.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe it does no harm to be aware of overall energy intake, as ultimately that is the weight loss determinant. Dr Unwin is very clear on that even though his approach focuses on low carbs. For sure, low carbs greatly assists moderated eating patterns and hence weight loss. But someone eating 30g of daily carbs while gorging on prodigious amounts of fat while sitting all day in front of the telly is not likely to lose weight.
I think it depends on what you have done previously to lose weight. I calorie counted for years and got ever fatter, yet I had trained my stomach to expect very little. So, as a former calorie counter I got used to eating very little, therefore I was unlikely to gorge on loads of fat and protein. The idea that every T2 over ate to make themselves obese is loved by the media, but it simply isn't true for all of us.

For me, if I eat a low enough amount of carbs then I can eat as much fat as I personally can stomach. Here's an extreme experiment I did to prove this.

pms543

Another vote for low carb from me, no weighing or counting and no hunger, just steady weight loss and lower blood sugar. The weight loss has stopped now and according to my bmi I still have a little way to go, but I'm almost 4 stones lighter and I feel better than I have for years, so who cares
O Thanks for the link too...

Reactions: catinahat

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
But someone eating 30g of daily carbs while gorging on prodigious amounts of fat while sitting all day in front of the telly
This is the sort of stereotypical statement I would expect to see in the daily rags, must admit to being quite surprised that one of our own would write it.
For me calorie restriction and hunger is not a sustainable way to lose weight, that does not mean I spend all day shovelling slabs of lard into my mouth, and I do occasionally summon the strength to lift my lazy T2 backside off the couch.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks
There are lots of factors to consider. For example, age, gender, other health conditions, medication, emotional health, etc. Though I imagine you already need to avoid a lot of the high carb gluten foods, it could help to reduce other carbs, too, as others have already said.

Reactions: pms543 and zand

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the sort of stereotypical statement I would expect to see in the daily rags, must admit to being quite surprised that one of our own would write it.
For me calorie restriction and hunger is not a sustainable way to lose weight, that does not mean I spend all day shovelling slabs of lard into my mouth, and I do occasionally summon the strength to lift my lazy T2 backside off the couch.
You have interpreted my comment unjustly as having some pejorative intent, whereas its intent was only to make clear that successful application of low carbs has to be within the right context, that is, when eating overall in a moderate fashion and not being too sedentary, if one can. My comment is I believe objectively true, weight loss does not depend *solely* upon reduction of carbs.

• Informative
Reactions: pms543 and Pipp

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Low carb was best for me. There's often no need to count calories as well.
Low carb just don't overdo the nuts, cream, peanut butter, butter- like I have and put on half a stone! I wondered why my bottom was wiggly! Have cut right back now lol