Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
not eating food, or drinking
Hi all

My last hba1c 6.2 in October and the 2 prior to that were about the same, I am supposed to control my BG by exercise and diet and for the last 2 weeks I have completely ignored everything eating and drinking what I wanted, also I haven't really exercised that much for the last few months due to a couple of injuries.
Well it bit me on the ass last night, I hadn't checked my BG for months and after another day of eating rubbish I though I will check my bg thinking I will be around 11 well I was 23.4 decided to get off my butt and go fr a brisk walk tested about an hour after I get back and was 19, went to bed got up this morning and I was at 15. I went on a 6 mile bike ride and done a kettle bell routine and still cannot get below 15, I have not eaten since around 6 last night hoping fasting might drop the levels, the only symptom I have is my right eye is slightly blurred, think the honeymoon period may be over.
I suppose the reason I am saying this as I was taken off the diabetic register a couple of years ago because my hba1c were always around 4.5 - 4.9, I thought I had conquered it but the ****** has returned so even when you think you have won keep doing the things you should or like me it will get you.
Think it might be time for metformin.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mark, sorry to hear you fell off the wagon, but well done, you’ve taken the first step to getting back on. Sounds like you’re addressing exercise and testing, however have you got plans to sort out a better diet as well? Many of us manage our sugar levels with just diet or diet and Metformin. Low carb diet is what I use very effectively. Have a look at this thread for inspiration: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1078#post-1952851 where many of us post what we’ve eaten every day.You also need to bear in mind that Type 2 is rarely conquered completely, you’ll always be carb/sugar intolerant to a lesser or greater degree.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Mark James well doneon recognising the issue and keep coming back to tell us how you progress.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Mark, welcome back to the forum, . Many of us, myself included have been there. What took two weeks to rise is not going to drop in under 24 hours.

Give yourself two weeks of the tried and tested to improve, it will probably take that long to get a GP appoinment anyway.

We were talking about this on another thread, what to do when you have reached your targets and no longer have the fear of a new diagnosis. My only answer is to spend time here, the support has kept me holding on by a thread somedays.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the same ate all the wrong things for comfort because of serious problems in the family and one of my readings was 19.3 and that was after a walk. I started LCHF the very net day and my readings are right down after six weeks.

My eyes were also blurry and that is what has made m stick strictly to the diet .
I think now you are motivated you can do it again and having injuries doesn't help we need to be active as diabetics .
Hope you feel better soon keep us updated .
Happy new year to you .

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh bother @Mark James - that's a blow, but a very sobering warning to all of us who have managed to wrangle our diabetes into a decent place.

It, just shows, infuriatingly, that what goes down can go right back up again.

Good luck grabbing it by the throat and shaking it though. Go for it!

Reactions: Debandez

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome back to the diet and exercise routine. It is hard to realise that the diagnosis is for life and the changes we make have to be sustained for life. At least you know now what you have to do, your HCP will probably be surprised to see you again as they clearly thought you were no longer diabetic. I am sure you are not the only one who has realised that we have slipped a little over the last year and need to get back on track, take back control and learn to say 'no' and put our health first.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back to the club. You have climbed back on the wagon, so cling on, eat properly, test, test, test, and stay posting on here. Hopefully 2019 will be a good year for you.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
One reason for me still being on the forum regularly, despite having normal readings, is to back up my resolve to never get back into high readings again.
My doctor isn't interested in my progress, I get very little encouragement so this is where I strengthen my commitment to the regime of low carb - I can hardly advise people just starting out on the process if I am not adherent to it myself.
I don't have to be as rigid as when I had Hba1c of 91 - but life is so much better now, I'm not going to lose that.

Katiesgran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

My last hba1c 6.2 in October and the 2 prior to that were about the same, I am supposed to control my BG by exercise and diet and for the last 2 weeks I have completely ignored everything eating and drinking what I wanted, also I haven't really exercised that much for the last few months due to a couple of injuries.
Well it bit me on the ass last night, I hadn't checked my BG for months and after another day of eating rubbish I though I will check my bg thinking I will be around 11 well I was 23.4 decided to get off my butt and go fr a brisk walk tested about an hour after I get back and was 19, went to bed got up this morning and I was at 15. I went on a 6 mile bike ride and done a kettle bell routine and still cannot get below 15, I have not eaten since around 6 last night hoping fasting might drop the levels, the only symptom I have is my right eye is slightly blurred, think the honeymoon period may be over.
I suppose the reason I am saying this as I was taken off the diabetic register a couple of years ago because my hba1c were always around 4.5 - 4.9, I thought I had conquered it but the ****** has returned so even when you think you have won keep doing the things you should or like me it will get you.
Think it might be time for metformin.

Really glad to see this as I am having same problems. My big has been around 15 for last 3 weeks. Went to doctor yesterday and was put on gliclazide 80mg. By lunchtime down to 6.1 before dinner 4.1. Today 13.1 at breakfast, 9.1 after lunch then couple of hours later felt really shaky, tested and at 3.6. Taken 5 jelly babies. What’s going on? How can I go so quickly from high to too low. Any advice appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Really glad to see this as I am having same problems. My big has been around 15 for last 3 weeks. Went to doctor yesterday and was put on gliclazide 80mg. By lunchtime down to 6.1 before dinner 4.1. Today 13.1 at breakfast, 9.1 after lunch then couple of hours later felt really shaky, tested and at 3.6. Taken 5 jelly babies. What’s going on? How can I go so quickly from high to too low. Any advice appreciated

Gliclazide is a very potent drug. It forces the pancreas to produce extra insulin, and it is this extra insulin that is causing your lows. You do have to be very careful and test, test, test. Your doctor should have warned you about this.

Is there a reason you can think of that is causing you to have double figure highs? Your diet over Christmas? Too many carbs?
What were your figures before these last 3 weeks?

Katiesgran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gliclazide is a very potent drug. It forces the pancreas to produce extra insulin, and it is this extra insulin that is causing your lows. You do have to be very careful and test, test, test. Your doctor should have warned you about this.

Is there a reason you can think of that is causing you to have double figure highs? Your diet over Christmas? Too many carbs?
What were your figures before these last 3 weeks?

Thank you for your prompt response. Finding this very scary. I think main cause may be that 3 of my exercise classes stopped after 2nd week in December and I didn’t replace this with anything else. Didn’t really overindulge over Xmas apart from a couple of puddings I wouldn’t normally have. I try to watch carbs and I need to get on board with that on a regular basis. As I also have NAFLD, now cirrhosis, it is so important that I get this under control.

Katiesgran

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your prompt response. Finding this very scary. I think main cause may be that 3 of my exercise classes stopped after 2nd week in December and I didn’t replace this with anything else. Didn’t really overindulge over Xmas apart from a couple of puddings I wouldn’t normally have. I try to watch carbs and I need to get on board with that on a regular basis. As I also have NAFLD, now cirrhosis, it is so important that I get this under control.

By the way doctor said as this is a very low dose I shouldn’t have hypos. Didn’t take long to prove that wrong. Also my profile says I’m insulin dependent but I have only been on Metformin. Profile changed so hopefully shows correctly soon.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

The very best way to get your numbers under control is to keep to a low carb diet. It will also help the NAFLD. Diet is the key, not exercise. Exercise is good for us and our general health, but is not the absolute key to diabetes control. However, the fewer carbs you eat, the less insulin you need ..... so your Gliclazide may not be doing you any favours if you do go down the low carb route. You would have to seriously consider reducing the dose or doing without it.

Do you keep a food diary, and do you test before you eat and 2 hours after first bite and record these levels in your food diary? That is an excellent way of working out where you are going wrong with your diet. If the rise is 2mmol/l or more there were definitely too many carbs on that plate. Ideally the rise should be a lot less than 2mmol/l. But please be careful with the Gliclazide.

Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just tested BG and it is 12.2 so about the same as pre meal I am quite sure I will be around the 6 mark within a week ,no more carbs for me and more exercise, I think that was the wake up call I needed to get back on track, I really don't think having 2 weeks off is any good, mind you the food did taste very good.
I will keep posting over the next few days with BG levels and diet, hopefully I will be ok without the need for medication.
Message to myself no more biscuits, cakes, pasta, bread, potatoes, beer, chocolate, puddings or crisps, back to low carb ,med fat ,high protein.

Edited by Mod

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just tested BG and it is 12.2 so about the same as pre meal I am quite sure I will be around the 6 mark within a week ,no more carbs for me and more exercise, I think that was the wake up call I needed to get back on track, I really don't think having 2 weeks off is any good, mind you the food did taste very good.
I will keep posting over the next few days with BG levels and diet, hopefully I will be ok without the need for medication.
Message to myself no more biscuits, cakes, pasta, bread, potatoes, beer, chocolate, puddings or crisps, back to low carb ,med fat ,high protein.

Edited by Mod
You will be back in control in no time :)

Mark James

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
BG now 10.6 but got a headache I think my body is fighting against the lack of carbs, never mind will soon go.

I really need to drop a few kg as well

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hopefully you will feel better tomorrow.