BG level fluctating wildly.

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks,

I was diagnosed Type 2 in March. I was initially on Gliclazide but managed to control my BGs with lowish carb eating (around 70-100) and stopped gliclazide in favour of metmorfin.

In July & August I had an extremely stressful period when my mother was ill and requiring 24/7 care (From myself and sister balancing work/care). During that period my level went up on average 2 or 3 points overall. Unfortunately my mother passed away on 26th August.

With funeral arrangements, house clearing and all the other stuff it was the end of September before things returned to "normal". My weight is where it should be and I get plenty of exercise.

Since the start of this month my BGs have gone haywire to the extent that I've gone back on Gliclazide (my own decision) for the last 4 weeks. Numbers are all over the place from mid teens to a couple of 3.2 hypos. The last hypo I'd eaten about 3 hours previous with a pre-lunch reading of 6.9 having taken Glic at 7am, a good 8 hours previous to the hypo. I am really struggling to control it and that makes me uneasy.

Couple of questions:

Could this all be due to stress of previous couple of months or is that coincidental?

I have an appointment to see my DN tomorrow and was wondering what I can expect her to say? (She's pretty switched on and is OK with low carb "as long as I can maintain it"). Hopefully with an idea of what she may ask I can be better prepared.

John

MaryJ

Hi John

Really sorry to hear about your mum.

And the short answer is a big YES, stress can definately affect your BG levels.

You don't mention whether you returned to low-carbing, are you being as controlled as you were before August? It's totally understandable if not.

Stress is one angle you can't really have any influence on, but your food intake is in your control.

If you weren't on Glic I'd say stop testing for a bit and just concentrate on eating those food you know dont make you spike but you can't really do that I guess.

Mary x

C

catherinecherub

Hi Signs,

I think you have answered your own question. The loss of your mother must still be very raw and stress is one of the worst offenders for raising blood sugar levels.

I think you need a review of your medication too as the hypos are not helping you gain control. Some posters on here do well with Sitagliptin, (Januvia) and unlike the Gliclazide it does not induce hypos.

I hope you are coming to terms with your loss and that you gradually move forward. Losing a parent is devastating for anyone and it will affect you mentally and physically.

Take care.

CC.

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies.

DN was off sick today so saw my GP instead. He agreed with my self medication in restarting gliclazide.
Had my Gliclazide & Metfromin doses double to 2x 80 and 2x1000.
BP was also high at 168/98 & 158/88.

He agrees that the stress is a contributing factor but also reckons that an ear infection I currently have
will also push levels up. Got another appointment in 2 weeks. Really want to get back of meds if possible
and continue control with low carb. But if not, hey ho, it is what is.

Cheers, John