Type 2 blood glucose drop but not in normal range after 1 week of medication, exercise and food management.

songorng

Hello Sir/Madam,

I have been diagnose with type 2 diabetic about 1 week ago. my blood glucose was 300 mg/dl, and i have headache, vertige, and like tired and sleepy every time. so i go to see a doctor, and he prescribe me with tri therapy of diabete medication, exercise 30mn a day and watch what i eat. So i do as i was told.

I brisk walk around 5 km (aprox 8000step ) a day (i only do brisk walk, cos i weigh 125kg) and eat a little with Low glycemia index food, and take medication, now a week later, my blood sugar in the morning is around 150mg/dl,

my question is, how long does the medication take effect to make my blood glucose normal, or i need to exercise more (because my leg is sore)?
and my blood sugar drop to little high over normal but my symptoms is still around me? like i always feel lighthead, tired.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Sir/Madam,

I have been diagnose with type 2 diabetic about 1 week ago. my blood glucose was 300 mg/dl, and i have headache, vertige, and like tired and sleepy every time. so i go to see a doctor, and he prescribe me with tri therapy of diabete medication, exercise 30mn a day and watch what i eat. So i do as i was told.

I brisk walk around 5 km (aprox 8000step ) a day (i only do brisk walk, cos i weigh 125kg) and eat a little with Low glycemia index food, and take medication, now a week later, my blood sugar in the morning is around 150mg/dl,

my question is, how long does the medication take effect to make my blood glucose normal, or i need to exercise more (because my leg is sore)?
and my blood sugar drop to little high over normal but my symptoms is still around me? like i always feel lighthead, tired.
Hello @songorng , and welcome,

There are many, many kinds of diabetes medication, and they work in various ways. Some force the pancreas to produce more insulin, some stop your liver from dumping too much glucose in the morning... And those are more often than not the first ones perscribed, but we don't know which kind you're on...

Your food, low on the glycemic index, probably needs improving. Low GI foods usually matter more to a T1 than to a T2: they need to know whether to split a dose or insulin or not, that sort of thing. For a type 2 diabetic, basically all carbs are problematic, low GI or no. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <-- have a read there it'll hopefully help you get started. Just be aware of what kind of medication you take, check the leaflet for what it does. If it forces your pancreas into producing more insulin, be careful and use your blood glucose meter, because you can and will hypo when you combine that kind of medication with low carb eating. If you're just on something that tells your liver not to dump so much glucose (Like metformin), you're okay to try changing your diet some more.

Keep in mind that these changes take time and they're not what your body's used to, so you'll feel it while it starts to adjust to the new normal, okay?
Good luck,
Jo
PS: For a T2, some of the best exercise is walking. So if your leg permits, go for a walk. If you can't, then diet truly is the best way to tackle this... You could even end up not needing medication after a while...!

Reactions: songorng

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @songorng and welcome to the forum

Firstly a question for you. What medications are you taking for your diabetes? That information will help others to make appropriate suggestions.

Secondly, you may find the information in this link helpful as a starting point. Have a good read and ask as many questions as you like. We’re a friendly bunch and there’s lots of support available here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

If your leg is sore, I’d dial back on using for a bit - go a bit slower or a shorter distance. If you weren’t exercising before it could just be your body adapting, but speaking from experience (which I still struggle to learn from), overdoing things when in pain only hinders you in the long run.

songorng

Thank you Jo and Goonergal for reply me and trying to cheer me up. im on TreviaMet( Sitaglitine50/Metformin1000) after dinner and empazine20 in the morning.

It is not like my leg hurt like hell. but this is what i can do everyday, and try to make it a habit, if i recommend to go higher, maybe i cant. (maybe when i lose weight tho).
About diet, to be honest, i was eating like a giant, 2 bowl white rice and a lot of meat (every meal, Brf, lunch, dinner) before, but now i am on 1 little bowl of brown rice and little meat and vegetable, i feel like i lose a lot of energy, but meter still say around 150mg/dl. i am feel frustrate now.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbs ARE Carbs.
Rice IS Rice
Bread IS Bread
Etc, Etc, Etc...as they say in the " King & I"

Your probably NOT Eating enough .. And what you are eating is a poor choice for a T2D..

WE to all intents and purposes, are Allergic.

We respond poorly to carbs intake, so are best suited to reducing the amount we take in.

With due attention paid to what affects THAT may have in regards to medications we are taking. (,Insulin, for example)

A solution, to be successful should still power us... In the short term the starving ourselves had benefits but certainly has drawback as well.

Low energy, low mood, and add in your missing the foods you did eat, sugar and lots of it, probably... Then it's probably about right how your feeling, at the moment.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Jo and Goonergal for reply me and trying to cheer me up. im on TreviaMet( Sitaglitine50/Metformin1000) after dinner and empazine20 in the morning.

It is not like my leg hurt like hell. but this is what i can do everyday, and try to make it a habit, if i recommend to go higher, maybe i cant. (maybe when i lose weight tho).
About diet, to be honest, i was eating like a giant, 2 bowl white rice and a lot of meat (every meal, Brf, lunch, dinner) before, but now i am on 1 little bowl of brown rice and little meat and vegetable, i feel like i lose a lot of energy, but meter still say around 150mg/dl. i am feel frustrate now.
Woa, hold up.... You're cutting down on a lot, and you DO actually need nutrients, you know... If you ditch the rice completely, and take in more meat and above-ground vegetables, you probably would feel a lot better. Maybe have some eggs too, fish, poultry. Cheese, cream? No wonder you're not feeling well, you've got nothing to draw on, energy-wise. Thing is though, with the medication you're on you could well become hypoglycemic when you change your diet, so get yourself a meter and check your blood glucose regularly, keep carbs on hand and discuss your next step with your doc or dietician.

songorng

Woa, hold up.... You're cutting down on a lot, and you DO actually need nutrients, you know... If you ditch the rice completely, and take in more meat and above-ground vegetables, you probably would feel a lot better. Maybe have some eggs too, fish, poultry. Cheese, cream? No wonder you're not feeling well, you've got nothing to draw on, energy-wise. Thing is though, with the medication you're on you could well become hypoglycemic when you change your diet, so get yourself a meter and check your blood glucose regularly, keep carbs on hand and discuss your next step with your doc or dietician.
ok, maybe i am too afraid to eat, thank again Jo. i already have meter in hand, that why i always check my blood glucose and start to think that i still need to stop eat little more.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok, maybe i am too afraid to eat, thank again Jo. i already have meter in hand, that why i always check my blood glucose and start to think that i still need to stop eat little more.
It's not how much you eat, it's what you eat. I know when I was first diagnosed, I was afraid to eat anything... Seemed like everything I thought was good for me, was poison. I didn't know what was suitable and what wasn't. You don't have to get it right overnight, and with the medication you're on, you do have to be careful... But you'll get there. Take the time to learn. Maybe read Dr. Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code, or watch his video's on youtube... Oh, and try these: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides Great spot for info and you don't have to sign up, lots on there is free.

songorng

Carbs ARE Carbs.
Rice IS Rice
Bread IS Bread
Etc, Etc, Etc...as they say in the " King & I"

Your probably NOT Eating enough .. And what you are eating is a poor choice for a T2D..

WE to all intents and purposes, are Allergic.

We respond poorly to carbs intake, so are best suited to reducing the amount we take in.

With due attention paid to what affects THAT may have in regards to medications we are taking. (,Insulin, for example)

A solution, to be successful should still power us... In the short term the starving ourselves had benefits but certainly has drawback as well.

Low energy, low mood, and add in your missing the foods you did eat, sugar and lots of it, probably... Then it's probably about right how your feeling, at the moment.
thank jjraak, but i afraid my BG will spike again :(.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there.

Sometimes we find people here who need to eat mot less, but differently. I have a feeling you may be in a country where rice is at the heart of your diet? That's being the case, I think, it's a real challenge to turn away from it.

As I understand it, Jason Fung's work was undertaken to help those whose eating culture was rice based, so he will have wisdom to offer you.

In the meantime, try eating less, or no rice, but more of the meat elements, with some vegetables. You might find your numbers drop some more just by doing that.

Our bodies try, where they can, to hold our blood sugars steady, so will do anything they can, in the early days to keep those numbers up, so do be patient.

songorng

thank DCUKMod, i will learn more from Dr jason fung. yes u are right. i am from cambodia, so white rice is our base meal everyday. but from now on i will try to not eating rice again.

and can i ask u one question, you really actually can reverse DBT2? are u on any med right now?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

It's like an alkaline test.
We spike in response to a lot of lifes stimulus,
But mainly because of WHAT WE EAT.
And as you read more, sometimes because of what we eat it with.

When I started i.
Had a fried breakfast.
Egg bacon sausages..(good ones with a high meat content Hecks are nice and 97% meat)

No bread....( But when I started I did have ONE ryvite a Cristp bread @5g.. Just to help me over the loss..I loved bread.)

Or maybe Greek yoghurt with REAL berries added.. Blueberries are nice.
Or if you got raspberries, you could have done later with double cream.. Very tasty treat and filling

See @JoKalsbeek posts re macro nutrients.
We need PROTEIN, FATS & SOME carbs.

And FATS, with some carbs, slows down the spike, making it a little longer but at a lower level.. So fats plus carbs is a good idea

I'd do some research and find what IS possible in relation to where you live.

Last edited: