Blood Sugars with only Diet?

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could you please post blood sugars who is controlling their Diabetes Type 2 on Diet with out medication.

My morning sugars are around 9 mmol/l.

By evening before meal it is going upto 6 mmol/l.

3 Months back my HB1AC is 48.

I do most weekdays cycling to work 11 miles each way.

Weekends yoga, gardening and walking.

Done keto diet since middle of April for two months. My blood sugars was good on average.

But my sleeping pattern was not good. Used to woke up middle of night.

Then added homemade sourdough bread into my diet sleeping pattern was much better but blood sugars are got worse.

When you guys introduced carbs to your diet is it normal to increase blood sugars?

If you remember could please let me know what was the readings?

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do.
Your mornings sound a bit high your evening reading is better but what about after you eat?

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I reduced my HbA1c from 53 to 35 in 3 months and have now maintained that for a year - on diet alone. Well, I also walk for 1 1/5 hrs a day too. But I don't take medication.

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am also cycling 22 miles every day. Following LCFH diet. I was on 3 different medications before. Diabetic since 2006.

Only morning sugars never goes below 8. I saw evening sugars some time goes upto 4.

6 is my average before meal when i cycle.

Reactions: mansingh01

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do.
Your mornings sound a bit high your evening reading is better but what about after you eat?

I do follow your suggestions and read your post. Thanks for answering.

After eating they increase on averge 3 mmol/l.

If that day was 6 before meal. After meal will be 9mmol/l

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do follow your suggestions and read your post. Thanks for answering.

After eating they increase on averge 3 mmol/l.

If that day was 6 before meal. After meal will be 9mmol/l
And what would the typical meal contain for you? A rise of 3 mmol/l isn't great.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To answer your question, many of us control our diabetes on diet alone. I am one of them.

My morning fasting averages around 5.2.
Before lunch and evening meal I am usually in the high 4s.
My post meal rises are all under 1.5mmol/l usually less than 1 mmol/l and sometinmes no rise at all.
I very rarely see a level at any time above 7, and that is when I have had more carbs than usual.

Reactions: Ishi

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Low carb has really worked well for me.
My fasting BS this morning was 4.7.

I was diagnosed in May and went straight onto the lowcarbprogram. So I've never been on diabetes medication.
I've managed to stick to it, but I now also make sure I don't save carbs up for a late night overload after a blip in my BS readings early on.
I have a maximum of 85g of carbs day, after starting with 100g.
The highest reading I've had since I started on low carb was 6.7. That was the morning after a small bowl of strawberries plus some 75% chocolate the previous evening after a late dinner - I was within my days' total carb allowance but it seems 35g in one meal was much for me.

I found being on the programme a great help, I use their food diary every day to help me manage my carbs and also make sure I'm eating enough protein.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
Could you please post blood sugars who is controlling their Diabetes Type 2 on Diet with out medication.

My morning sugars are around 9 mmol/l.

By evening before meal it is going upto 6 mmol/l.

3 Months back my HB1AC is 48.

An HbA1c of 47 would suggest you were averaging a blood glucose of about 8. What are you eating might be some hidden carbs ?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
My morning fbg's are on a moderate exercise regime, around 4.4, on extreme late 3's (so now mainly 4's). Usually late 4's in the afternoon / evening (however not reflected in my HbA1c of 38 (official, 31.5 over 8 averages using A1CNow+); could be due low white blood cell count (low inflamation) or West Indian heritage which can conflict with tests.

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today before dinner my blood sugars was 6.1. After 1.5 hours later 7.9

Attached photo of my dinner plate contains oven cooked stuffed chesse pepper, aubergine, small piece of homemade sourdough bread, beat root leaf and salad

Attachments

• 75F57A1F-813D-496F-86C1-067D68B350E4.jpeg
    75F57A1F-813D-496F-86C1-067D68B350E4.jpeg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 638

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread is very dense carbs, that might be why your BG increases so much from your pre meal reading.

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today before dinner my blood sugars was 6.1. After 1.5 hours later 7.9

Attached photo of my dinner plate contains oven cooked stuffed chesse pepper, aubergine, small piece of homemade sourdough bread, beat root leaf and salad
Would you like to share with us your typical menu for the day, with times you eat and test?

Mainly for dinner green vegetables , chicken,eggs, cauliflower rice, Edam cheese and salad.

I make sourdough bread using spelt flour, rye, flaxseed flour, buckwheat flour.

Breakfast egg omelet, chia seed and almond milk, oats and homemade yogurt, berries and almond milk.

Afternoon lunch salads or fasting.

I do fasting twice a week.

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An HbA1c of 47 would suggest you were averaging a blood glucose of about 8. What are you eating might be some hidden carbs ?
Mainly for dinner green vegetables , chicken,eggs, cauliflower rice, Edam cheese and salad.

Breakfast egg omelet, chia seed and almond milk, oats and homemade yogurt, berries and almond milk.

Venkat K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And what would the typical meal contain for you? A rise of 3 mmol/l isn't great.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This sounds SO delicious. I used to love really good sourdough bread, and also made my own at one time. However I agree with @Resurgam, if you want to lower your bgs, perhaps the bread, and also the oats may have to go. The yoghurt would be lower carb if you strained it to take out the whey, which is high in carbs, leaving a sort of thick Greek yoghurt. Making it with full fat milk will be lowest carb.

I suggest you Google Metformin as you will find many articles praising its virtues. I have myself chosen to take the highest dose in the hopes of reducing insulin resistance and improving my bgs. It also seems to be protective against heart disease and even has been said to prolong life! It cannot replace a low carb diet, but perhaps it can supplement its good effects.

Sirmione

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Donald Trump
The way every diabetic's body reacts to various carbs is different. It looks to me like you need to avoid all cereal grain products, also beetroot is 10% carb and nearly all of the carbs are sugars.