Bloods going high

chani111

Hi everyone
I have been doing well up until the last few days. My bloods in the morning have been between 4 and 5:4 but the last few days they have shot up to 7s and today 8:3. I had had my morning tea with almond milk before remembering to do my bloods, I have got sinusitis and feel rubbish and I have been eating up to 60g carbs where as I usually stay at 40g and I have been away as well. Just losing confidence and could do with some guidance please to get me back on track. Really missing veggies especially onions, carrots, tomatoes and potatoes. I also love fruit. Trying to be sensible but feeling a bit overwhelmed.
Thank you everyone
Sharon

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Feeling rubbish with sinusitis and increasing your carbs are both going to raise your blood glucose. Hang in there, ride it out until you feel better. It's annoying but try not to stress over it.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
When we are ill our bodies will do what they have evolved to do which is to supply us with extra energy from our stored glucose. The extra glucose is to help you fight off your infection and there is nothing you can do to prevent it except to look after yourself and not get too worried about your levels until you are feeling better.
We all know that diet is the key to managing T2 but it's important that whatever diet you choose is sustainable. If it is making you miserable not having your favourite foods then maybe it would be wise to cut yourself a little slack. 40g of carbs a day is quite a tough limit, do you think you can stick to it for the rest of your life ?

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone
I have been doing well up until the last few days. My bloods in the morning have been between 4 and 5:4 but the last few days they have shot up to 7s and today 8:3. I had had my morning tea with almond milk before remembering to do my bloods, I have got sinusitis and feel rubbish and I have been eating up to 60g carbs where as I usually stay at 40g and I have been away as well. Just losing confidence and could do with some guidance please to get me back on track. Really missing veggies especially onions, carrots, tomatoes and potatoes. I also love fruit. Trying to be sensible but feeling a bit overwhelmed.
Thank you everyone
Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Your post sounds just like me this week. I've not eaten more carbs but I'm not moving about let alone doing usual activities due to feeling ill... and that makes a massive difference to my sugars. Its my first time ill since I was diagnosed and I feel weepy, rubbish and overwhelmed. I thought I had a dodgy pack of strips when my readings started going high (before I got symptoms) or that going away on holiday had messed it all up. Really struggling not to feel very down. Not looking forward to winter as I teach in an overcrowded special school: close working with lots of children and adults in relatively small spaces . Does anyone know if you are more likely to pick up bugs with diabetes? Can it make it harder to recover?

Hope we feel better soon. Em xx

Reactions: chani111

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I decided the way to maintain low carb was to find substitutes for the things I would miss the most and enjoy the foods I can have now that I'd been told were bad for us (cream, butter, cheese, etc.).
I still have tomatoes, but in smaller quantities usually with loads of mushrooms. I have leeks instead of onions, with garlic if needed. I have potato substitutes such as mash made with a mix of cauliflower and squashes (I discovered potato squash this year but it has a short season, next year I'll buy extra in early autumn and freeze it), and Halloumi fries instead of chips or for dipping in boiled eggs, ...

Reactions: coby

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hi everyone
Thank you everyone
Sharon
If it makes you feel better you are not the only one! My numbers went up last week, from the usual low 5's to high 6's which concerned me too, as I'd not eaten anything different. Then I came down with a cold and very sore throat a day or so later! Trouble is I had to have Strepsils so that also didn't help and I felt as if I was failing. I now realise that we have to prepare for such things during Autumn/Winter and to tell ourselves that it won't last too long. I hope you feel supported by the replies on here and hope you are better soon x

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been very stressed and emotional this week and my blood sugar levels are higher. It happens with many situations where our bodies are under extra strain, including illness and vaccinations.

I hope you feel better soon

chani111

Hi Sharon,

Your post sounds just like me this week. I've not eaten more carbs but I'm not moving about let alone doing usual activities due to feeling ill... and that makes a massive difference to my sugars. Its my first time ill since I was diagnosed and I feel weepy, rubbish and overwhelmed. I thought I had a dodgy pack of strips when my readings started going high (before I got symptoms) or that going away on holiday had messed it all up. Really struggling not to feel very down. Not looking forward to winter as I teach in an overcrowded special school: close working with lots of children and adults in relatively small spaces . Does anyone know if you are more likely to pick up bugs with diabetes? Can it make it harder to recover?

Hope we feel better soon. Em xx

Thank you Em, I share your pain. Winter is always difficult for me anyway but feeling rubbish just makes it so hard. Sharon healing hugs
Sharon

chani111

Thank you all for your insights and comments, they really help. Ok going to cut myself some slack and just do my best. Going to bed now with Netflix

Reactions: catinahat

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
My BGs have ben raised for a week due to an infection. I got a more normal reading today so the anti-biotics are probably working.
There 's no point in trying to fight higher BD+Gs when we are ill, just accept it but don't use it as an excuse to fall off the wagon carb wise!

Reactions: coby and chani111