1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Breakfast ideas

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Donnajs77, Aug 10, 2019.

1. JeanCL

JeanCL · Active Member

I find Jumbo oats from healthfood shop cooked as porage in microwave, having been soaked in water overnight with a dessertspoon of Goji Berries, served with lashings of full fat yoghourt, and a small not too ripe banana doesn't spike my BG too much at 2 hours and keeps me full for several hours. I'm a slim prediabetic and striving to stay that way (pre, that is!). Good luck!

2. Khushi Nagpal

Khushi Nagpal Type 1 · Active Member

How about a bowl of fruits for breakfast? Like cherries, pears, oranges or some strawberries. Fruits that have a low glycemic index/load.

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

For a T2 pretty awful.. both for the amount of sugar in the fruit and the fructose going directly to the liver for management which can give rise to NAFLD

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lizzie2

Lizzie2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I usually make myself a two egg omelette with either sliced mushroom or blueberries scattered over the top before I turn it. Sometimes I will mash a ripe banana and beat it into the eggs and make a banana pancake. I have that with half a pink grapefruit and a mug of tea. If I don’t have that I have a boiled egg. I don’t eat toast or anything grain based because it spikes my blood sugar. Sometimes on a Sunday my husband will make me bacon and egg.

5. miahara

miahara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Be a bit careful with "fruit" as some are pretty high in carbs. As a general rule berries are much lower, though blueberries are a bit high. If I'm cooking apples to add to yoghurt or porridge I mix in about 50% berries to reduce the overall carbs.
    This chart should give an idea as to the relative likely impact of various berries and fruits.

Carbs in fruits.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Walking Girl

Walking Girl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Another vote for chia seed pudding. The mix-ins are almost limitless. My favorite is peanut butter and blueberries ( sounds weird, I know) or pumpkin purée, spices and pecans.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mojo37

mojo37 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The banana and the grapefruit will give u about 40 carbs which would spike me these days. Though when I was first diagnosed 5yrs ago I could tolerate that amount in one meal now sadly I can't .

8. mojo37

I bought some chia seeds yesterday and going to try them ..sounds really nice . It is really a trial and error situation .

9. Walking Girl

Walking Girl Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes, play with the seed to milk (or cream) ratio because the texture changes. I personally like more. The basic recipe i like is 1/4 cup seeds per 1 cup liquid. Whisk, let sit for 30 minutes or so in the fridge, whisk again. Let sit overnight, but it will keep for 4-5 days as well.

I use a US brand that is an almond milk/coconut milk blend that is only 1 carb per cup, but you can use basically any milk or cream variety.

Put in the mix-ins right before you eat it. Hope you like it.

My favorite dessert version: high quality cocoa powder, chopped walnuts, and whipped cream.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. dafernee

dafernee · Newbie

I love scrambled eggs with chorizo. Very tasty!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. mojo37

Sounds lovely :) and thanks

12. Bea32

Bea32 · Newbie

Maybe look at a KETO diet book. Lots of low carb options. You can always make egg muffins with sausage, veggies and keep them in freezer. Just pop a couple in microwave before you head out for the day.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook