But I don’t eat many carbs

• Thread starter Deleted member 558316
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 558316

I got diabetes because I was taking a medication for something else which alters your metabolism and I put on 5 stone without changing my diet and without overeating. My hba1c is 6.7. Now it comes to changing my diet I’m unsure what to change. I don’t eat a lot of carbs, I don’t eat junk. My diet has been confirmed as normal healthy diet by two dieticians. How am I not going to be diabetic? I’ve stopped the medication that made me put on weight.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got diabetes because I was taking a medication for something else which alters your metabolism and I put on 5 stone without changing my diet and without overeating. My hba1c is 6.7. Now it comes to changing my diet I’m unsure what to change. I don’t eat a lot of carbs, I don’t eat junk. My diet has been confirmed as normal healthy diet by two dieticians. How am I not going to be diabetic? I’ve stopped the medication that made me put on weight.
A normal healthy diet is likely to contain more carbs than we can cope with. Our bodies response to carbs is not normal.

What do you eat daily? What does a typical days food and drink look like? We may be able to help you find more low carb alternatives.

What type of diabetes do you have and what diabetes meds (if any) are you on?

Filling in your profile and information will help us know how to help you.

D

Deleted member 558316

Today
Breakfast:
Snack:
Lunch: 1 salad wrap and low fat crisps
Snack: chilli peanuts x1 handful
Dinner: chicken Kiev, one spoon of mash and green beans

I don’t know what type I am but presume 2 and I’m not on any medication yet

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today
Breakfast:
Snack:

What was the ozempic prescribed for? It's often used as a diabetes med. How long have you been diabetic? Thanks.

D

Deleted member 558316

Ozempic hasn’t been prescribed yet but I’m thinking of getting it. I’ve known about the diabetes for a couple of months

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Little mermaid, we keep getting a lot of mixed messages from you. Please, please, please fill in some information on your profile so that we can understand how to help.
About your food today. The wrap, the crisps, the coating on the peanuts, the outside of the chicken Kiev and the mash are all carbohydrates. Are you still taking Ozempic which is a diabetes medication?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
salad wrap and low fat crisps
Crisps are high carb, low fat doesn't make a difference. I'm not sure if you mean a wrap with salad inside or a salad leaf instead of the wrap, but regular wraps are high carb.
Chicken kiev can be quite high carb because of the crust (better have a nice juicy chicken leg instead, the fats are more filling and have no carbs), as is the mash.

In your other threads you mentioned getting sleepy after eating banana's and pasta, both are very high carb.

It would likely help you to use a glucose meter to test before and after meals to see what happens, it really gives a lot of insight!

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your diet is unfortunately quite carby, you mentioned in other posts eating pasta and banana, both high in carbs. From the foods you’ve posted today I’ve copied and pasted

Breakfast:
Snack:
Lunch: 1 salad wrap and low fat crisps - salad is fine, depending on the wrap at least 30g carb the crisps depending on the size of bag at least 13g carb
Snack: chilli peanuts x1 handful - roughly 7g carb
Dinner: chicken Kiev, one spoon of mash and green beans - the Kiev about 25 - 30g carb and spoonful of mash about 20g carb

I know it’s very daunting and overwhelming but carbs can add up really quickly, we were all where you are now, take a deep breath and take time to read and digest all the fantastic info on the forum. Some cut their carbs gradually whilst testing before and 2 hours after meals to see what we could tolerate (ideally there should be a rise of no more than 2 points) and adjust the carbs accordingly. Others dropped all carbs down to 20g carbs a day or less and went “cold turkey” whilst testing. We are all different and some can tolerate more carbs than others, you need to find your “sweet spot” - a meter is the best tool in your armour, don’t worry you’ll get there, it’s a massive learning curve and change in a way of life that we’ve all been through

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ozempic hasn’t been prescribed yet but I’m thinking of getting it. I’ve known about the diabetes for a couple of months
who diagnosed your diabetes, and what were your blood test results? Why is there a question mark over your type of diabetes? Who suggested ozempic and who will be prescribing it? Its really hard to help with such little information from you. I assume you are not in the uk?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today
Breakfast:
Snack:

I'm sorry but - if you are a type 2 diabetic then those are not good choices - you need low carb foods if you can't cope with carbohydrates and need to lose weight. No wrap no crisps no peanuts no potato and choose meat which is all meat, not coated in carbs - and beans might need to be limited if, like for me, they cause spikes.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Roughly where are you based. Little Mermaid? If you are in UK, which country as each system differs a little.

D

Deleted member 558316

This is really depressing news! I don’t want to change :(
My treatment is private in the uk

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately if you eat a 'normal' diet then your metabolism has little opportunity to recover.
I reduced the amount of carbs and after 6 months I was no longer diabetic, I had lost weight without any effort, was more active, energetic and enthusiastic.
In that 6 months I lost almost a foot off my waist measurement - I was almost spherical eating the diet advised by my GP. My shape continues to change. My knees are so much improved from what they were like at diagnosis.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm afraid you may have no choice but to keep the carbs down and no bananas! Personally I wouldn't take much notice of the dieticians as many have only a shallow understanding of the subject and know little about diabetes. This forum provides the best general diet advice. It's not clear yet what medication you were taking? Was it a steroid?

D

Deleted member 558316

Do you have to follow low carb if you are on anti diabetic medication? Sorry I’m new and learning….

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have to follow low carb if you are on anti diabetic medication? Sorry I’m new and learning….
Please, please answer the questions asked in this thread. We need this information to know how to help you. You don't have to low carb, no one can make you make changes, but it's very difficult to control type 2 diabetes (if that is what you have) for any length of time without controlling your carb intake. The diabetes progresses and complications happen. Meds can help, but dietary changes of some sort need to happen too to stop progression. They are not a cure.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You don’t HAVE to do anything. You have a choice.
Diabetes Digital Media, which host this forum, are advocates for a low carb diet and many of the forum members find it has significantly helped their diabetes management.
However, this approach does not suit everyone. The important thing is to find the approach which best suits you - your body, your lifestyle, your life.
The forum members are very helpful and keen to share what works for them. But none of them are you or even knows you and do not have medical qualifications unlike your doctor who diagnosed type 2 diabetes.
It would be useful to discuss your questions and thoughts with your doc.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Little mermaid, we really feel for you, not wanting to change. Alas, any diagnosis of a serious disease entails a change of perspective/life/options etc. I hope you don't mind but I'm a bit of a straight-talker, and my line on a pre/diabetes diagnosis is - it's listed as one of the big dieseases you don't want to get for a reason! That's the bad news.

The good news is - you can get better with it. It doesn't have to be progressive and degenerative, as lots of folks here in the forum attest to. A really sizeable percentage of type 2's can and do go into remission even. (I am not one of those, but there is a good chance you have the kind of type 2 that is, stats-wise.)

Which brings me to - it is absolutely in your best interests that you find out as much as you can about your own diabetes - as in - what type you are, to begin with. As stated above. Absolutely. I think you know already that type 1 and type 2 have some of the same symptoms, but they are actually two different types of diseases, and the treatments for them are/can be wildly different. And just to confuse you - some folks have type 1 with insulin resistance, which is a type 2 thing, so - it's a lot more complex than many think. And many people are very confused about the two different types. It would be good for you to get on top of that first of all, I would say. And then - share with us?