Butter is Best

A

AnnieC

Glad you like it bro.
As you quite rightly say, low carb forum, so it doesn't always mean you have to go high fat if you're trying to lose weight.
Works well if you don't in fact.
Even I am going to go in for a small amount of (homemade) butter eventually when I want to maintain weight, so it's a good article linked to.

Do you ever think you could go totally high fat Douglas I have done low fat for years and I still think it is healthier but that is just me and it is not for everyone but lately I have been having very small amounts of butter on my veg and and cream with berries I still feel guilty eating it though and don't think I could ever go all high fat

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do you ever think you could go totally high fat Douglas I have done low fat for years and I still think it is healthier but that is just me and it is not for everyone but lately I have been having very small amounts of butter on my veg and and cream with berries I still feel guilty eating it though and don't think I could ever go all high fat

I would say no from choice.
If my kidneys stay fine, I'd probably go for protein over fat.
Personally, I don't like fat, and it gives me really bad acid reflux, particularly when I exercise.
I reckon my final diet is going to be around 33% of calories from fat, carbs, and protein, but heavy on unsaturated, rather than saturated fats, and regular checking of all bloods etc to make sure I'm ok on it.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I have never liked margarine or spreads despite my parents always buying flora when I was growing up. Whilst in my first year at uni, I came home for the Christmas hols and got a job for 3 days in a pork pie factory. Totally hideous job but the people were really nice. One evening, I noticed a bucket of grey sludge and asked what it was. I was told that it was margarine and that the yellow colour was only added to make it more appealing to the eye. Since it was being added to food, customers would only see the finished product and it was cheaper therefore to buy the grey sludge. Never ate spread from that point onwards. Managed to persuade my mother who also only buys butter...... Like aldis' luxury range one with salt crystals. Just wish I could have the crusty bread to go with it (sigh)!

Reactions: 2 people

John_ch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a lot!
Another butter lover here! I also use beef dripping when I am cooking! Much better taste :) I don't use low fat foods as I personally don't think they taste the same. My cholesterol is nice and low which surprised my nurse when I told her I don't use sunflower oils or spreads! I bet we could have another discussion on whether you are a butter in the fridge or work top person! I like to keep mine on the work top....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Another butter lover here! I also use beef dripping when I am cooking! Much better taste :) I don't use low fat foods as I personally don't think they taste the same. My cholesterol is nice and low which surprised my nurse when I told her I don't use sunflower oils or spreads! I bet we could have another discussion on whether you are a butter in the fridge or work top person! I like to keep mine on the work top....

I'm a worktop person with my butter as the whole family use it so it don't last long! I got a nice big block of beef dripping out of morrisons the other day-gonna try some roasted celeriac using it instead of goose fat or olive oil.:)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I ran out of butter the other day and nipped out to the local shop to buy some, got it back, spread it on my round of burgen only to discover they'd wrapped up margarine in a butter wrapping by mistake. Outraged and mortified!

:woot::woot: :yuck: What brand was that?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

On the work top of course! Lol!:)

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
:) Work top for me too, in a butter dish which I inherited from my mother who died many years ago!
The thought of eating any of that low fat, so called "healthy" muck, now fills me with revulsion. I recently saw a bit of film about making it and as Scandichic said grey sludge! When it comes to the state of the nations health, food manufacturers, especially those who push such rubbish have an awful to answer for. Shame so many people believe them! But then I guess it's human nature to take "their" word for it. Gullibility....a great human failure... Oooo, another thread? Lol

Reactions: 7 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was up in Finland a couple of years ago and was rather mortified to be told by our host that the "plant stenols" in these allegedly cholesterol lowering spreads are actually a byproduct of the logging industry, a 90 foot pine tree is certainly some plant!

French butter for me, cheap and easy to get in this corner of the country

Reactions: 4 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I was up in Finland a couple of years ago and was rather mortified to be told by our host that the "plant stenols" in these allegedly cholesterol lowering spreads are actually a byproduct of the logging industry, a 90 foot pine tree is certainly some plant

Good grief! :woot:

A

AnnieC

:) Work top for me too, in a butter dish which I inherited from my mother who died many years ago!
The thought of eating any of that low fat, so called "healthy" muck, now fills me with revulsion. I recently saw a bit of film about making it and as Scandichic said grey sludge! When it comes to the state of the nations health, food manufacturers, especially those who push such rubbish have an awful to answer for. Shame so many people believe them! But then I guess it's human nature to take "their" word for it. Gullibility....a great human failure... Oooo, another thread? Lol

I personally do not have a problem using spread or any other low fat products but I don't really think we are all gullibile to what the food manufacturers tell us we would not eat anything if we were as good and bad is said about all foods. It's more a case of what we as a person want to eat
I was a child in the 40/50's we had margarine some butter and my mother cooked with lard and dripping because there was no other choices but she changed to the alternatives when they came along but nothing would persuade me to use lard and dripping now when there are what in my opinion are healthier options for my body. I have a low saturated fats diet but that is not because I am gullibile to what food manufacturers or anyone else says I weigh up the choices then decide what is best for me
AnnieC,2 minutes ago

Last edited:

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ah,but the trees are 100% free from genetic modification so they must be healthy!:p Put me down for 10 kilos!:woot::hilarious:
Is that all? Think I'll sign up for a years supply! Definitely makes the argument for LCHF - eat proper food even stronger! Lol!

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Kerrygold do a butter that spreads straight from the fridge, there's no added ingredients to make it spreadable and the packaging says it's the way it's churned that makes it softer.

I do love butter on toast and in jacket potatoes but prefer an olive oil spread in sandwiches.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I ran out of butter the other day and nipped out to the local shop to buy some, got it back, spread it on my round of burgen only to discover they'd wrapped up margarine in a butter wrapping by mistake. Outraged and mortified!
How much did you buy, a packet? I made the same mistake with an entire box (48 packets) from the cash and carry. It's still in my deep freeze. I'll never eat it yet I'm too stingy to throw it away.:(

Kate

Reactions: 3 people

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely on the worktop. Too much work otherwise:-S. I have popped some in the microwave for a few seconds in an 'emergency'.I have seen the spreadable Kerrygold but haven't tried it in case it doesn't taste the same.