Butter is Best

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm another butter lover:joyful: ours is usually kept on the worktop apart from when we have hot weather then it goes in the fridge, the unsalted which is used for cooking is always kept in the fridge though.

Did try a variety of imitations when I was following a low fat diet:yuck:

You might like this Margarine Commercial from the 70s

Reactions: 6 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was brought up on low-fat spread. I remember heaving at St Ivel Gold as a kid because it was so yellow and so utterly vile. After that, it was Vitalite in the round tub - greasy greasy yack. When I became an adult I opted for Lurpak Lighter, which I still tend to buy now.

Homemade butter is very easy and worthwhile. If I've got some cream that's about to go out of date, I whip it up into butter and use it up that way.

Reactions: 5 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Definitely on the worktop. Too much work otherwise:-S. I have popped some in the microwave for a few seconds in an 'emergency'.I have seen the spreadable Kerrygold but haven't tried it in case it doesn't taste the same.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

"Kerrygold Spreadable is soft enough to spread straight from the fridge, thanks to the addition of vegetable oil."

http://www.kerrygold.co.uk/home/products/
Maybe not so much how they churn it, as to what they churn it with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Big butter fan and believes saturated fat is good for the brain (and body) - Kerrygold every time and have seen the unsalted now available at Tesco. Another fat favourite is coconut oil.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm a worktop person with my butter as the whole family use it so it don't last long! I got a nice big block of beef dripping out of morrisons the other day-gonna try some roasted celeriac using it instead of goose fat or olive oil.:)

Beef dripping.

http://www.welch-holme-clark.com/edible_beef_tallow_spec.html

http://a0768b4a8a31e106d8b0-50dc802...550b.r19.cf3.rackcdn.com/scho0195bjjv-e-e.pdf
(rendering section)

Doesn't quite convey the image of the "Happy cow" cottage industry gently roasting the beef joints over the polished black range collecting the fresh dripping into the little hand patted blocks.

Still, each to his own.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yep,each to their own. ;)

True.
Just seems odd, margarine is bad, but beef dripping, equally as highly processed

"Further chemical-physical stages (bleaching, neutralisation, deodorisation) ultimately deliver a product known as 'refined beef tallow'

is somehow healthier.

Different bleach maybe?

Me, I avoid processed foods, I avoid added chemicals, so both are out.

At least butter is slightly less processed. Still big business, and made in a vast factory, but mainly natural.
Typical plant here.

http://www.spx.com/en/assets/pdf/GS_butter_production_07_12_GB_web.pdf

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have seen the beef dripping as sold by supermarkets, looks nothing like the real stuff which is brownish in colour and quite soft having dripped off whatever bit of beef we happen to have been cooking. It's the only type I'd even consider eating I'm afraid, bleach is for toilets, not food.

But as far as the realstuff goes, there used to be a bar I used in Heidelberg when I worked out there in the early 90's, used to put out real beef dripping on toast as the freebie sunday lunchtime barsnacks whenever roast beef was on the menu, it was absolutely gorgeous, and went very well with the pilsners they brewed out the back.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That's great to hear! :)

Shame the 1 cal spray oil you use is full of 'em! :woot:

Again, a very sad bias far removed from the reality of what we are discussing.
As you are very aware, the heavily processed dripping you use in vast quantity, doesn't therefore compare to a single spray of a sunflower oil, held in a suspension with water and alcohol. Or are you saying you consider water and alcohol something you would consider a chemical?

You do understand what happens to water and alcohol in a hot pan?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Not playing anymore Douglas-have a good night.;)

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Tonight for my dinner I had cod loin with a creamy, cheesy, buttery sauce. Having been out with the dog enjoying a wonderful sunny spring day, I was hungry so it really hit the spot.
Personally I like Kerrygold for convenience, President because it has a delicate creamy flavour, but I have a love for Welsh Salted Butter, the colour of buttercups, which reminds me of summer....sitting in the garden eating a bowl of warm freshly picked and cooked runner beans, smothered in butter and black pepper. Bliss, and healthy! Lol, now there's a change ;)

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My mum would never buy any other but Anchor butter, I still get it when it's on offer much the same as Kerrygold.

Aldi's own salted butter is fine and a lot cheaper than most.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
While I like Alldi's own brands, I find Lidl is slightly more to my taste.
Aldi seems to have sold out to try to seduce Tesco shoppers, Lidl still stays a bit more continental.
What is it about Kerrygold though, that inspires such loyalty here?

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The normal kerrygold is quite nice, but I still prefer the creamier french ones. i don't like any of the spreadable versions, they are more emulsified that churned in order to make them softer.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The normal kerrygold is quite nice, but I still prefer the creamier french ones. i don't like any of the spreadable versions, they are more emulsified that churned in order to make them softer.

I have to be honest, if I eat butter, (very rarely I must admit) I prefer the French ones. Usually on holiday, so probably why, but they do taste different to ones on the shelf here.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure really, but I suspect that they are just have more cream, although somebody elsewhere suggested they have some biotics and therefore may be partially fermented.

I'm tempted to make some and see if I can replicate it, I love experimenting with food.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We used to have a french market here everyweek, so used to get french butter very cheaply and easily, now we get it from waitrose or one of the garden centres which has a fantastic deli, we usually buy both salted and unsalted.sadly the french market happens very rarely now.

Equally good is the creamed butter often served with sourdoughs in the Northern US, Chicago and New York especially. When I asked in one hotel they told me they combined butter and cream, not entirely sure I beleived them but they were wonderfully creamy and mild yet tangy in flavour and went really well with the sourdough breads.

Reactions: 2 people