Butter is Best

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
A book, that might interest some, is called "the meat fix" my husband picked it up at work. It opened our eyes as to oils and marg are made. Take a look it is a good read and written by a guy who had health problems.

Reactions: 3 people

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
True.
Just seems odd, margarine is bad, but beef dripping, equally as highly processed

"Further chemical-physical stages (bleaching, neutralisation, deodorisation) ultimately deliver a product known as 'refined beef tallow'

is somehow healthier.

Different bleach maybe?

Me, I avoid processed foods, I avoid added chemicals, so both are out.

At least butter is slightly less processed. Still big business, and made in a vast factory, but mainly natural.
Typical plant here.

http://www.spx.com/en/assets/pdf/GS_butter_production_07_12_GB_web.pdf

You can buy organic beef dripping online or check with your butcher some may supply it.

Our own Organic Traditional Beef Dripping is simply made by slowly rendering down our own minced organic Beef Fat. Traditionally dripping was used for frying the great British favourite `Fish & Chips`. High end fish & chip shops still insist beef dripping remains the best fat for frying! Dripping is perfect used to make great tasting roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings and the for browning the Sunday joint. Store well refrigerated.

http://www.laverstokepark.co.uk/fro...ganic-beef-dripping-400g_ct483bd190pd1848.htm

In the states it's the same with organic beef tallow.

Enjoy the healthy benefits of CLA and omega 3's in robust quantities while cooking with grass-fed beef tallow, sometimes known as "lard." The 5 gallon, 36 pound pail of tallow is ready for commercial or home use. Our tallow is simply rendered beef suet and is naturally pure white to light yellow in color with omega 6:3 ratios similar to fish. Not all fats are created equal and our beef tallow has plenty of CLA- "the good, natural trans fat". All of our beef products are 100% grass-fed and grass-finished.

It has not been bleached, deodorized, hydrogenated or altered. We love the tallow ourselves and it has many uses:

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/Detail.bok?no=711

Reactions: 7 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You can buy organic beef dripping online or check with your butcher some may supply it.

In the states it's the same with organic beef tallow.

Worth paying the extra for.
Also worth checking what the "organic" refers to though.
No point if it's "organic" fat, steamed, chemically processed, bleached, and packaged up.
I don't think there's an "organic" process though, so it could become a minefield.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I cook a roast which is most w/e I always slow cook the joint then pour off the juices before it is quite meal time then I pt the juices in the freezer and skim off the fat which I then use to roast the veg or save some for my husbands toast and use the jelly to make the gravy .Question is all of this dripping or is that only from beef
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Worth paying the extra for.
Also worth checking what the "organic" refers to though.
No point if it's "organic" fat, steamed, chemically processed, bleached, and packaged up.
I don't think there's an "organic" process though, so it could become a minefield.

Of course it's worth the extra it's not as if it costs a fortune, I doubt you will find any organic beef dripping that has been highly processed I've not seen any, and it's not a minefield if you go direct to the suppliers and check on how it's produced.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy my meat from a local butcher who buys local meat and displays the farm that the meat comes from so if I cook this meat and use the fat then that should be the best sometimes if a piece of beef is a bit lean the butcher will give me an extra piece of fat to cook with the beef .We had Brisket this w/e Yummy .

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Of course it's worth the extra it's not as if it costs a fortune, I doubt you will find any organic beef dripping that has been highly processed I've not seen any, and it's not a minefield if you go direct to the suppliers and check on how it's produced.

Fair enough, one of your links was to Basingstoke but the other one you listed was in the states, so I wouldn't think going direct to the last one was an option?
Which other ones have you seen that haven't been processed, as it's always going to be good for personal recommendations for stuff like this. Even I'll use it occasionally.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
While I like Alldi's own brands, I find Lidl is slightly more to my taste.
Aldi seems to have sold out to try to seduce Tesco shoppers, Lidl still stays a bit more continental.
What is it about Kerrygold though, that inspires such loyalty here?

I prefer a butter that comes from grass-fed cows and had conversations with most butter producers, all though President didn't reply and Kerrygold is among the best from this point. Anchor used to come from grass-fed cows in New Zealand, but since 2012 it's from UK farms and with no guarantee of the cows being grass-fed.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a Grannie, and boy, am i constantly learning that the old adage "you can't teach your Grannie to suck eggs" is wrong! ://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinkadvice/10635994/Gourmet-butter-satisfy-your-churning-desires.html

I had a look at that link but what struck me was this dish:

harira_2813912d.jpg

Looks bloomin marvelous.

I agree about some of the gourmet butters though. We have a farmers market and there is often a stall that sells truffle infused butter. As far as sucking eggs is concerned, I can only manage pickled quails eggs, but they aren't as good as toffee rollos.

Reactions: 3 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy my meat from a local butcher who buys local meat and displays the farm that the meat comes from so if I cook this meat and use the fat then that should be the best sometimes if a piece of beef is a bit lean the butcher will give me an extra piece of fat to cook with the beef .We had Brisket this w/e Yummy .

I get my meat from a farm shop. They do a roll of nicely marbelled shin beef which, when slow cooked, makes the most delightful joint. There are a couple of farmers of highland cattle who have stalls at markets, again, a different league to the supermarkets. All these guys are very happy to tell you the best way of preparing and cooking the meats. Bones too, for making stock.

My favourite however is skirt steak. I use it in ragu ala bolognese, slow cooked for 4 hours or thinly cut, stir fried steak taking only 3 or 4 mins. Versatile, lean, tasty and cheap. I use brown rice or wholewheat noodles though.

Grilled-Skirt-Steak-with-Orzo-Pasta-Salad.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I live surrounded by small scale cattle farming (tiny herds by UK standards) and the farmers aren't well off so grass is definitely the cheapest option. Most of the time the cows are out eating grass, but that isn't their sole diet. There are few nutrients in the grass during the winter months (and it can be too cold for grass to grow) in summer, it can be too hot or too dry. Home grown silage /hay is not sufficient.
I think finding butter from 100% grass fed cows is problematic.
http://www.primalbritain.co.uk/uk-grass-fed-butter/

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Grass growing in winter isn't a problem round here sadly, mowing grass when muddy is a pain in the butt though. Anyone got a cow I can borrow? I promise to give it back. Well, most of it anyway.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
If you look on the kerrygold website, they also feed their cows alternatives to grass in winter. It's also alleged that's what causes the taste to change summer to winter. Can't answer for that myself, I rarely eat it, as you know. :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Grass growing in winter isn't a problem round here sadly, mowing grass when muddy is a pain in the butt though. Anyone got a cow I can borrow? I promise to give it back. Well, most of it anyway.

Sheep and goats are better for that, more versatile too:

goatsonroof.jpg

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My butcher saves a piece of skirt for me every week .My husband has a piece grilled as steak on friday with onion and mushrooms with a glass of wine this is a ritual that went back to his working days when this was a treat to start the W/E Skirt stir fries well but also makes lovely casseroles because it keeps its taste and makes thick gravy
CAROL

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Skirt stir fries well but also makes lovely casseroles because it keeps its taste and makes thick gravy

It does, it makes wonderful gravy. Traditionally it is used as the meat in Cornish Pasties where the potato, onion, meat and pastry all have to cook from raw in the same time. It is a wonderfully versatile cut of beef.

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Gosh you've made me hungry :) I am dreaming of a large slice of white bread covered in dripping - yummy :) or a roast beef Yorkshire pudding wrap :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I had an excellent meal, 80g of parboiled brown rice which is a decent plateful for only 16g carbs and a Goan fish curry, pollock, haddock, salmon and hake in cumin, corriander, garlic, ginger, onion, chilli, mustard seeds, tomato, sliced chillis and low fat natural yogurt and a little wine vinegar. I bet the entire thing was under 25g carbs. The parboiled rice is only about 100 cals too, a third of normal brown rice.

goan-fish-curry.jpg