Can a diabetic 1 really eat anything?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fun you mention it! I tested out the Humalog myself and benchmarked it up against the NovoRapid which I still use today. I found that for me personally the Humalog had onset and peak like 30 minutes later than then NovoRapid. And as you also remark, the tail effect was also showing 2-3 hours after, while the NovoRapid for me burns out in max one hour. So for me the Novorapid is easier to dose with for the type of food I like and eat the most. And maybe also the best rapid weapon in our arsenal to take down an incoming chocolate bar missile? :)

Interesting that about the difference in them there, and I'd like a quicker action and a shorter tail said no man ever :p My consultant will love me next time we meet, when I want to talk about trying Novorapid as I'm assuming I could swap back to Humalog if I didn't like NR.
If you get chance to try Fiasp give it a shot, halved my pre-bolus times across the board! It apparently doesn't work well for everyone compared to Novorapid but I've been impressed with it. For meals with a bit of fat (medium not high) I employed a new tactic of taking the dose in 2 places - one in the stomach/arms and one in the leg to slow it down a bit.
I was reading up on this but stopped as our CCG hasn't commissioned it and I think we've had enough of each other for this year :p

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd like a quicker action and a shorter tail

Apparently if you shoot it into a vein with a normal hypodermic it becomes really really rapid.

Never do that. Obviously. This was described to me by an American who called it "Diabetes level 400."

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
According to Dr Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution book, you can increase the action of Novorapid a bit by injecting into a muscle and then working that muscle. I’ve done this for a correction dose by injecting into the deltoid and then doing my physio exercises for my shoulder. It was about 50% faster to act and to tail off. I tried it first with a single unit when I was running a stable 8, and it got me down to the expected 5 in 80 minutes. I’d usually be waiting two hours for that to happen. I’ll try it again, certainly.

Reactions: Celsus

stephenlopez

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
With type 1 diabetes, our body becomes unable to make insulin in the body. Daily exercise and a balanced diet play important roles in keeping the blood sugar levels stable. When we make healthy food choices and have it in a consistent amount, it can help to control your sugar level.