Can a diabetic 1 really eat anything?

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use a half unit pen now, only got it last week. I love it, it’s meant I can make really quite fine adjustments now.
Me too! I used to have to fiddle with the pen of 'not pushing the plunger too hard all the way' to get a 'smaller than 1' unit dose.
But then I came across the small children pens and they are awesome! :p

Last edited:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I’ve had a half unit pen for bolus for about ten years now and I love it, the new one for Basel’s made a big difference too.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat the same way now as I did before diagnosis. The only difference is having to calculate or estimate and sometimes guesstimate how much insulin to inject.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Diabetics can eat anything, as long as the insulin matches it and can keep up with the food. If not things will start falling off your boyfriend, like toes, feet, kidneys, eyes and the list goes on. Your approach is the only good approach. I think all diabetics hate being told what they can and can't have / do. See if you can find low carb beer (just don't tell him it is).

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too! I used to have to fiddle with the pen of 'not pushing the plunger too hard all the way' to get a 'smaller than 1' unit dose.
But then I came across the small children pens and they are awesome! :p
While I agree that half unit pens are a big benefit, I think people may be missing the point I was making.

I gather that typically 1 unit of insulin covers about 10g of carbs so a half unit pen gives a 5g carb precision or around 0.5 mmol/L correction. For people who 1 unit covers 25g+ carbs they have a 12g+ precision or around 2.5 mmol/L correction... eating what you like is a very different proposition with the latter figures.

Last edited:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
While I agree that half unit pens are a big benefit, I think people may be missing the point I was making.

I gather that typically 1 unit of insulin covers about 10g of carbs so a half unit pen gives a 2g carb precision or around 0.5 mmol/L correction. For people who 1 unit covers 25g+ carbs they have a 12g+ precision or around 2.5 mmol/L correction... eating what you like is a very different proposition with the latter figures.
For me, as long as I’m under 9mmol, one unit brings me down by three, so half a unit is great if I’m in the mid-high sevens and want to nudge it down a little :)

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, as long as I’m under 9mmol, one unit brings me down by three
Me too, except when it doesn't, like last wednesday, when one unit did absolutely nothing three times in a row, until suddenly all three units did everything all at once.

It's random.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Me too, except when it doesn't, like last wednesday, when one unit did absolutely nothing three times in a row, until suddenly all three units did everything all at once.

It's random.
You can get all the maths right in your brain, but your body doesn’t always listen. It’s infuriating! I’m having a day like that today. None of the numbers are doing what they should :banghead:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It's random.
Hi Susie, you sound very much like my Mum, over the years it did not matter what she did or how she tried to stabilise her levels, they were up and down seemingly randomly, so weird. Even when she had district nurses doing her insulin it made little difference, they said she was 'brittle'. When I was admitted to hospital at first diagnosis with ketones, they put me on an insulin drip. My levels immediately shot down to the low 3s, so they bought me some toast (I know, I know..but I didn't know then), then they shot up to 16, so they upped the insulin, then they dropped to 3 again so more toast and on it went for the entire 24 hours. By the time the consultant came back in the morning even he was fed up. He took me straight off the drip and that was that. So I think I have at least an inkling of how frustrated you must be, I remember all the professionals looking sideways at my Mum as if to say 'What is she doing wrong' when I KNOW she was doing everything she could. Even my sisters and I doubted my poor Mother because of what we were being told. I so wish I knew then what I know now.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1

It's random.

Yes I'm there too. Yesterday blood sugar wouldn't come below 8. Had higher basals, didn't eat, took corrections. Nothing.
Today it won't stay up. Not above 5 all day. No bolus. Had two slices of toast.
Why? God knows.
Sometimes 0.3u will drop me by up to 10mmol.
Sometimes 0.3u does absolutely nothing.

How am I meant to know what it will do when?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It's random.

It does just happen sometimes. Yesterday I had a 15~ before brunch, took a modest correction with the food bolus, waited an extra 10 minutes for it to come down a bit before eating. Cue nearly 2 hours after, shaking and sweating, 3.3 - sorted with a couple of glucotabs back up to 6.4 and left it. Couple of hours later 12.1 - can only assume my stomach decided to be lazy that morning and digest super slowly. :banghead:

I'd made an awesome rollercoaster in the graph at the top of the MySugr app by the end of the afternoon.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, as long as I’m under 9mmol, one unit brings me down by three, so half a unit is great if I’m in the mid-high sevens and want to nudge it down a little :)
I am myself on exact same insulin sensitivity/conversion rate as you are! :happy:
One unit brings me 3mmol/L down, reason why the half-units pen dosing is a great tool if trying to stay within that magic 4-8 zone...

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I gather that typically 1 unit of insulin covers about 10g of carbs so a half unit pen gives a 5g carb precision or around 0.5 mmol/L correction. For people who 1 unit covers 25g+ carbs they have a 12g+ precision or around 2.5 mmol/L correction... eating what you like is a very different proposition with the latter figures.
You can still eat what you like!
Your multiplication factor is just different.
And in both cases, it of course takes that you know your own body well and you are good at 'guesstimating' the carbohydrate contents of the food you wanna eat and its metabolic rate in getting to your blood stream.
I am btw one of those 'latter figures' persons you refer to, having a high insulin sensitivity. But still not sure if you mean if that is worse or better from what you say? So if you made a point, then we probably missed it, yes. :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Anyone can chew and swallow.

The real question is "can you SENSIBLY eat what you like"

To which the answer is very definitely "no."
Well, in theory you can.

In theory there’s no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.

I’m finding it an awful lot easier (in both theory and practice) to just minimise carbs. That still leaves an awful lot of things I like to eat, so I’m happy enough.

Reactions: Dodo

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went out to a much looked forwards to friends lunch party yesterday. There were 10 of us there and the host had gone to a lot of trouble. I was determined to enjoy and not worry. Took an insulin guess, ate lots of yummy delights, plus 3 large glasses of wine and a gin and tonic. Took a slight correction 2 hours later. In actuality, my levels were better than the previous 2 weeks of low carbing, food weighing, restricting myself trying for perfection. The CGM showed hours of a steady line with few peaks. Makes you think.
Continued in that vein today with pastry entombed salmon, more red wine, a chocolate eclair and an Ameretto! The CGM is still steady as she goes.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can still eat what you like!
Your multiplication factor is just different.
And in both cases, it of course takes that you know your own body well and you are good at 'guesstimating' the carbohydrate contents of the food you wanna eat and its metabolic rate in getting to your blood stream.
I am btw one of those 'latter figures' persons you refer to, having a high insulin sensitivity. But still not sure if you mean if that is worse or better from what you say? So if you made a point, then we probably missed it, yes. :)
Ok, I got your point

I too have high sensitivity (about 1 unit per 30g carbs). I can eat what I like and bolus to keep me in the 'safe zone', what I cannot do is get anywhere near my target or be consistent even when everything works perfectly. There's a law that predicts I will always need 'X' and one or three quarter units! Unless i use exercise and/or match carbs to insulin I'm either too low to drive or too high and getting nerve issues. And the lack of consistancy plays havoc with my eyesight. I've been dreaming of a quarter unit pen but all the clinic have offered me is pump. Bummer

Regards.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

It's random.
I have a friend who has 'brittle' diabetes. Its very difficult. But she has had it since she was 8 years old, and is not 52 years old. Would you like me to ask her if she would be willing to talk to you on here? she isnt a forum member, but I could ask?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went out to a much looked forwards to friends lunch party yesterday. There were 10 of us there and the host had gone to a lot of trouble. I was determined to enjoy and not worry. Took an insulin guess, ate lots of yummy delights, plus 3 large glasses of wine and a gin and tonic. Took a slight correction 2 hours later. In actuality, my levels were better than the previous 2 weeks of low carbing, food weighing, restricting myself trying for perfection. The CGM showed hours of a steady line with few peaks. Makes you think.
Continued in that vein today with pastry entombed salmon, more red wine, a chocolate eclair and an Ameretto! The CGM is still steady as she goes.

Good points, well made, Becca.

One of the things which I learned early on was that an important aspect of T1 wasn't avoiding carbs as such, it was managing the rate at which they were absorbed.

That's a fairly basic point of T1 management which is often missed.

I'd be slow to eat a bit of dark Belgian chocolate cheesecake on an empty stomach, but have it at the end of a meal of, say, Baxter's Scotch Broth, bit of toast spread with goat milk butter for dipping, then a main of grilled lamb chops and steamed veg, then the cheesecake, the amalgam of fats, proteins, complex and simple carbs combine to buffer the absorption of simple carbs, so it's relatively easy to pre-bolus a bit for the fast absorption of the toast, the barley in the broth is slow, like oatcakes, so will smooth things out, and maybe a 2u addition just before the cheesecake for it's simpler carbs, even though it's fairly fatty anyway which'll aid in slowing down absorption. Net result: not much of a drama.

Yet, low carbers will just see a massive 80g (30 soup, 10 toast, 40 cheesecake) and call it a nightmare, without appreciating the interplay with the fats, longer chain carbs and some sensible bolusing.

Like you, I've had lots of remarkably steady cgm traces after meals like that. Of course, it might just be that our sensors are broken!