Can Eating Fat, Drinking Rum Make You Fat?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This video of a talk by Dr Bernstein dates from a while back, but I love it. It makes the argument that adding fat and alcohol (and incidentally a lot of calories) to one's daily diet will not necessarily lead to weight gain.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It makes the argument that adding fat and alcohol (and incidentally a lot of calories) to one's daily diet will not necessarily lead to weight gain.
But on the other it might.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Fat and alcohol. Struggling to see the problem here........:cool:

I think the calories may be a red herring because not all calories are created equal. It takes a lot more energy to process fats, so the real calorie gain may not be equivalent to the value generated by burning it in a laboratory.

As a general rule, simple carbohydrates are easier for the body to process than complex fats so as I understand it the body can extract more energy, and also store any excess as fat.

This leads to the slightly confusing guidance that you eat fat to get slim, and too many carbohydrates make you fat.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Let's have a contolled trial. with one cohort with no fat or alcohol and the other with fat & alcohol. I'll lead the second cohort and we'll review the stats in two years. :rolleyes::)

Edit - Just had a thought that maybe one of the big drinks companies would provide sponsorship :)