Cannula keeps bending

stellson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi just wondered if anyone had any advice, I'm 4 weeks into using my metronic pump and it was going great until this last week when I couldn't understand why my bg readings were so high however after changing my set 3 times I'm noticing my cannulas are bent, I've had to revert to my pen on several occasions. Im using my abdomen and doing everything I was shown.....confused.....x

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is possible that you have some faulty Mios. Is it a new box?

stellson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah it was a new box actually...I'll try another box and see how it goes....I felt quite at home getting my pen out but not giving up on the pump as so much more accuracy

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @stellson i was using the mio set but was getting an allergic reaction to the sets, saying that I was on them for about 4 months and only had a couple of issues with them, simply because I hadn't inserted the set properly and had not primed the set properly or had pulled on the set before it was attached to my skin fully.

I am now on sure t's and haven't had any issues whatsoever with bent cannulas, you literally push the steel tip into your skin then fasten the adhesive around the site, they are bomb proof in comparison to mios so would recommend these if your having any issues. Not sure if it's because they are plastic that they are more prone to bending or because of the way they are inserted but out of the 2 I would recommend changing, sure t's are much easier to insert.

Reactions: azure

stellson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so much juicyj, I'm meeting with the nurses on Monday so will see what they say...thanks again

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Hi Stellson i have the Medtronic pump and use the quick -set infusion sets, think I've only ever had 1 kink. Ive been using a pump since the end of July. Might be worth trying these as i believe the sets your using have the applicator built in? The ones i use you use a separate reusable inserter.

Regards

Martin

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The mios are like the Animas insets which I use. Try another box from a different batch to check they are not faulty. Make sure you are not pressing down too hard onto your skin as this tends to make them kink. I just float it on top of my skin and also be careful you are pressing both sides down together. They will also kink if you are using them where there is muscle or not much fat.

stellson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I spoke with the nurses today and they just said that 'it happens. Thankfully this new box I'm using seems to be ok for now.....maybe just a faulty batch...

Reactions: azure

stephsmum

My daughter has had 3 out of the current box which bent....unfortunately being a teen she's not great in responding to unaccounted high bloods! But generally, they are fine....pump user for 18 months.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Why not just go to the steel cannulas??

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
Hi @stellson while some people never seem to have an issue with a particular type of set that they're first given others do. It's good to try a variety to see what suits you. You may also find that different sets suit different sites better. Good luck with finding the ones that work best for you. (I use a combination of mios and sillhouettes now but had a disastrous start on quick sets which nearly stopped me pumping altogether)