Can't believe it

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very very lucky. My doc gave me a meter as they were confused that I’m slim and diabetic and prescribed strips (not many) as he wasn’t sure what type I am/was. He saw the results I’m achieving and happy to continue prescribing, within reason. I test a lot so I do self fund in addition. I do feel he can see the benefits of prescribing to control my DM but he did say no one else has my determination to control this and wished all his patients were as good. Shame not to give others the chance
This is what i can't understand, my dad is also type 2 and has had test strips from the word go nearly thirty years ago, and was only put onto insulin in the last year, in my opinion if they want you to look after it in terms of diet controll then at least assist you in controlling it.

Reactions: Flora123

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey. Some are so expensive aren't they. I wouldn't be able to afford that either that's why I went for the Tee2, cheaper strips.
Exactly, if your testing 3-4 times a day they dont last very long!

Reactions: jjraak

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do have meters but the strips are £18.00 for fifty which i cant afford, so problem is i no longer test regularly which in turn means i dont know if im eating the right things which is low carb as much as i can or if the portions are too big/small.
I generally keep to the same very low carb (around 10g carbs) breakfast and lunch which I’ve tested as tolerated. Dinner is my only meal that differs. Can I suggest if you did the same, once you’d tested your chosen breakfast and lunch a few times, you could just test before and after dinner? This way you’ll cut your usage of strips but will still see if your readings are trending up or down. Just an idea ;)

Starfish18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I generally keep to the same very low carb (around 10g carbs) breakfast and lunch which I’ve tested as tolerated. Dinner is my only meal that differs. Can I suggest if you did the same, once you’d tested your chosen breakfast and lunch a few times, you could just test before and after dinner? This way you’ll cut your usage of strips but will still see if your readings are trending up or down. Just an idea ;)
I do this with some of my meals so I don't have to test so much while at work

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@chris66 similiar to Rachox’s suggestion above I built up a bank of trusted meals by trial and error by rigorous testing in the first few months of LCHF and once you have that list and keep portions the same you eventually trust it wont rise you. It is quite useful to keep a record too. Good luck to you, lots of goodwill and help from the good folks on this forum I find.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, i bought a meter and also got a Contour next one, free problem being strips come in at eighteen pounds for fifty for both meters, the thing i find most strange is, my Dad is also type 2 and has been for nearly thirty years and has always had his strips on prescription from the start even though its only recently he has been put on insulin.
I get my strips from the internet at 50% of the cost.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you yes i will give that a try, although its rare that i have breakfast ( steps back and awaits the barrage of chastisement):nailbiting::D

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@chris66 similiar to Rachox’s suggestion above I built up a bank of trusted meals by trial and error by rigorous testing in the first few months of LCHF and once you have that list and keep portions the same you eventually trust it wont rise you. It is quite useful to keep a record too. Good luck to you, lots of goodwill and help from the good folks on this forum I find.
Thank you yes i think thats the way forward, hopefully im doing reasonably well think i need to reduce portions though, thanks for your good wishes and agree members here have been fantastic always willing to help with suggestions and offer support :happy:

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP said no too said no need to test unless insulin is prescribed, I know how you feel and agree with everything you have said .

Reactions: jjraak

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have just spoken to my GP and i asked about the possibility of test strips on prescription, her reply was no as the NHS recomend you dont test as it will cause anxiety so wont prescribe them unless im on insulin or blood sugars are low which as i am type 2 is unlikely, my problem is if they want me to control it by diet and excercise how am i supposed to know if im doing right or wrong if the only time it will be checked is when the Dr. sends me for a blood test? definately feel i'm just another statistic who doesn't need help!
It’s a real shame isn’t it that we have to self fund so that we can better - I initially assumed I may get meter and strips as my mum and step dad had had them prescribed years ago too without insulin and continued to get them but think reality is that numbers with type 2 are now so high that the cost would be a major issue I’d imagine - it’s got to be the cost the issue. If you can manage to do some testing while you get a list of safer meals I’m sure as @Rachox says it would help you to see the direction you are going in.
I now use the tee2 from spirit healthcare as has some of cheapest strips and now 18 months after first starting testing often manage to only needto test 3 times a day but in the beginning did test more while I worked out the amount of carbs that suited me and what works. I now only test more when experimenting or something concerned about for example.
Re breakfast you really don’t need It! My first month of low carb I only ate one low carb meal a day and didn’t feel hungry as was eating the fat on my body. Giving your body regular breaks from eating is a brilliant way to lose weight and improve your bloods too over the longer term. Now I’m thin I often do have breakfast if hungry but not if I’m simply not hungry, I’m in a rush and or I’m doing exercise first thing preferring to eat a brunch type meal in that instance.
Good luck keep going hope you can afford a few strips to get started but if not be as strictly keto as you can ideally working towards under 30g of carb a day I’m sure if you do you’ll be going in the right direction - downwards!

Reactions: Rachox and chris66

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a real shame isn’t it that we have to self fund so that we can better - I initially assumed I may get meter and strips as my mum and step dad had had them prescribed years ago too without insulin and continued to get them but think reality is that numbers with type 2 are now so high that the cost would be a major issue I’d imagine - it’s got to be the cost the issue. If you can manage to do some testing while you get a list of safer meals I’m sure as @Rachox says it would help you to see the direction you are going in.
I now use the tee2 from spirit healthcare as has some of cheapest strips and now 18 months after first starting testing often manage to only needto test 3 times a day but in the beginning did test more while I worked out the amount of carbs that suited me and what works. I now only test more when experimenting or something concerned about for example.
Re breakfast you really don’t need It! My first month of low carb I only ate one low carb meal a day and didn’t feel hungry as was eating the fat on my body. Giving your body regular breaks from eating is a brilliant way to lose weight and improve your bloods too over the longer term. Now I’m thin I often do have breakfast if hungry but not if I’m simply not hungry, I’m in a rush and or I’m doing exercise first thing preferring to eat a brunch type meal in that instance.
Good luck keep going hope you can afford a few strips to get started but if not be as strictly keto as you can ideally working towards under 30g of carb a day I’m sure if you do you’ll be going in the right direction - downwards!
Yes it is a shame and i think you are right in terms of cost cutting, i always look out for low carb items when shopping now and the biggest plus side to it in many ways is my 14 year old son taking an interest in what im eating why and thinking more about what he wants to eat. I've also taken to more excercise in terms of walking more where as before would take the car, since being diagnosed start of November last year have lost just under 3 stone in weight so must be doing something right main issue i think at the moment is perhaps not having enough high fat foods to compensate and size of meals possibly could do with further reduction but do feel im getting there slowly. Trial and error i guess but more determined to get there.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s a real shame isn’t it that we have to self fund so that we can better

but think reality is that numbers with type 2 are now so high that the cost would be a major issue I’d imagine

...eat a brunch type meal in that instance.

...if not be as strictly keto as you can ideally working towards under 30g of carb a day

Some great points @shelley262
very much agree with you and @Rachox ..wish i'd kept a better log of my foods..
but now i don't bother if i have what i know scores well.
(eggs/bacon..greek yoghurt/blueberries)
and chris, i would say once steady, each month do a random test, just to be sure you still tolerate those 'good' foods
i was ok with bananas, until my scores kept creeping up after eating..(over 2)..same with apples.

i went codefree...strips work out around 15p each..but ya still got to buy a box or two.

and @chris66
same here, re weight...so major respect, and in less time too....so you ARE going the right way fella..
start of November last year have lost just under 3 stone in weight so must be doing something right main issue i think at the moment is perhaps not having enough high fat foods to compensate and size of meals possibly could do with further reduction

I found out recently that others like to up the fats, and i wasn't sure how..
but they told me double cream counts..i was thinking oils, fatty meats etc....duH :rolleyes:

Some dump that in a coffee, i don't like the coffee, so if i get hungry i pour some in a bowl,
and in the belief some dark chocolate is acceptable AND good for us, i break up two squares and pop them in the cream,
usually find by last spoon i'm full, and i've had a little treat...that's not carby..result.

Reactions: chris66 and Rachox

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do have meters but the strips are £18.00 for fifty which i cant afford, so problem is i no longer test regularly which in turn means i dont know if im eating the right things which is low carb as much as i can or if the portions are too big/small.

If you can afford to finance it short term, you will get a really good idea of what you can and can’t eat in a short space if time if you follow advice on here as well

Reactions: chris66

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some great points @shelley262
very much agree with you and @Rachox ..wish i'd kept a better log of my foods..
but now i don't bother if i have what i know scores well.
(eggs/bacon..greek yoghurt/blueberries)
and chris, i would say once steady, each month do a random test, just to be sure you still tolerate those 'good' foods
i was ok with bananas, until my scores kept creeping up after eating..(over 2)..same with apples.

i went codefree...strips work out around 15p each..but ya still got to buy a box or two.

and @chris66
same here, re weight...so major respect, and in less time too....so you ARE going the right way fella..

I found out recently that others like to up the fats, and i wasn't sure how..
but they told me double cream counts..i was thinking oils, fatty meats etc....duH :rolleyes:

Some dump that in a coffee, i don't like the coffee, so if i get hungry i pour some in a bowl,
and in the belief some dark chocolate is acceptable AND good for us, i break up two squares and pop them in the cream,
usually find by last spoon i'm full, and i've had a little treat...that's not carby..result.
Thanks for thatjjraak, think i will have to start keeping a log of foods as it has been suggested a number of times, apples i seem ok with but was advised by nurse to avoid bannanas, think a change of meter is next step will save me a bit of money, have started having double cream in coffee as really can't do tea without sugar but like you i was thinking fatty meats etc.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have started having double cream in coffee as really can't do tea without sugar but like you i was thinking fatty meats etc.

tea drinker here too..:D
sure you know, but the sweeteners seem to have little effect on my bloods.
hermesetas.(1 tab)..now using truvia.(one tab)

think others suggest it encourages us to remain wedded to sweet things..fair point,
but a cuppa has to be enjoyable..and no sweetener..is just :***: