Can't believe it

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
tea drinker here too..:D
sure you know, but the sweeteners seem to have little effect on my bloods.
hermesetas.(1 tab)..now using truvia.(one tab)

think others suggest it encourages us to remain wedded to sweet things..fair point,
but a cuppa has to be enjoyable..and no sweetener..is just :***:
Unfortunately tea is a no no for me without sugar tried it with a sweetner but didn't do it for me!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Used to being told it's the most important meal of the day......maybe it's just my dad then :D

Skipping breakfast is one of the best things you can do. It extends the overnight fast and gives your pancreas a rest. That is providing you don't start snacking mid morning of course. :)

Reactions: chris66

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately tea is a no no for me without sugar tried it with a sweetner but didn't do it for me!
Try a different sweetener as there are many different types. You must be able to find one that's OK for you.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Used to being told it's the most important meal of the day......maybe it's just my dad then :D

I regularly skip breaky, just have a lovely coffee with double cream. It gives my pancreas a rest by eating just twice a day. Don't usually eat after 6pm then if I skip breaky and have lunch about 12 noon that's an easy 18 hours fasting.

Diet doctor is an amazing site with lots of great low carb info and advice.

Check this out:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/coffee-with-cream

Reactions: jjraak and chris66

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
My problem is im not working at present so cant afford to keep paying out for test strips from my income. Have started to work towards cutting carbs and got a list of 'good foods' three pages long from this site yesterday, have also invested in cook books with recipees for low carb, diabetics etc. Funnily enough in the same conversation she suggested i lose weight (3 stone lost since diagnoses so far) and reduced my fat intake which obviously i took with a pinch of salt bearing in mind info gained from forums on this site in recent weeks.
I think that if you do very low carb and eat what is suggested here or on DietDoctor.com your blood sugars should come down. The only thing that you will not be able to do is to eat foods for a test. You will have to stay safe. For instance, you will not be able to test for a small portion of pulses (As some can eat them) because you will not be able to test without a meter so you will not know if you can tolerate them without a spike, but if you eat what has been suggested you should be ok until your circumstances change. Perhaps the next blood test from your nurse you may be surprised to see your sugars have come down. Can you nip into the chemist and ask the Pharmacist for a test? perhaps every 3 months. Go to different chemists. Or even have 2 from the chemist, at least you won't have to wait a whole year to see how you are doing. We have to be so crafty, but why not it's our health.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipping breakfast is one of the best things you can do. It extends the overnight fast and gives your pancreas a rest. That is providing you don't start snacking mid morning of course. :)
No skip breakfast and go through till about mid day/1 p.m and have lunch, usually a couple of poached egg and tomatoes then tea around 5/6 p/m and then maybe cheese on ryvita crackers around 8ish thats it.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@chris66 I know you are quite emphatic about not liking tea without sugar but I know someone (not diabetic) who gradually reduced sugar in tea every day until eventually with about 1/8 teaspoon they cut it out and didnt need it any more. Might be worth a try..I couldnt do without my cuppa!

Reactions: jjraak and chris66

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that if you do very low carb and eat what is suggested here or on DietDoctor.com your blood sugars should come down. The only thing that you will not be able to do is to eat foods for a test. You will have to stay safe. For instance, you will not be able to test for a small portion of pulses (As some can eat them) because you will not be able to test without a meter so you will not know if you can tolerate them without a spike, but if you eat what has been suggested you should be ok until your circumstances change. Perhaps the next blood test from your nurse you may be surprised to see your sugars have come down. Can you nip into the chemist and ask the Pharmacist for a test? perhaps every 3 months. Go to different chemists. Or even have 2 from the chemist, at least you won't have to wait a whole year to see how you are doing. We have to be so crafty, but why not it's our health.
Thanks for that, checking on medical records think im down for another appointment with nurse in march which will be 3 months post diagnosis maybe as im newly diagnosed and so far not on any medication they may keep a closer eye, as you so rightly say its our health in question here and have had 1 or 2 tips in this post for cheaper meters/strips which im looking into so i can carry on checking and stay on the right track.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@chris66 I know you are quite emphatic about not liking tea without sugar but I know someone (not diabetic) who gradually reduced sugar in tea every day until eventually with about 1/8 teaspoon they cut it out and didnt need it any more. Might be worth a try..I couldnt do without my cuppa!
To be honest im getting used to coffee which ive always had without sugar anyway, problem with it is tends to dehydrate a bit rather than refresh, and wanted to start how i meant to go on by not adding any sugar to anything from the off, im sure i will go to the kitchen before long and think i feel like a cuppa and go for tea, infact i may alternate between tea and coffee.Just a case of readjusting with everything really.

Reactions: jjraak

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is what i can't understand, my dad is also type 2 and has had test strips from the word go nearly thirty years ago, and was only put onto insulin in the last year, in my opinion if they want you to look after it in terms of diet controll then at least assist you in controlling it.

I have no doubt it is a cost issue. My gp did say he was going against the guidelines but didn’t have a problem with it. Thus was after a conversation about how was I supposed to do this working blind. I’d love to know the profit margins on the strips.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no doubt it is a cost issue. My gp did say he was going against the guidelines but didn’t have a problem with it. Thus was after a conversation about how was I supposed to do this working blind. I’d love to know the profit margins on the strips.
Sometimes seems like double standards to me, i have high cholesterol and had a problem with high blood pressure at the same time as diagnosis for type 2, im told the cholesterol and bp is something i will have for life so i am prescribed tablets to controll it and told i will be on them for life and theres no problem with that, yet diabetes is also a condition that can't be cured yet they don't agree to prescribing strips to help control it, doesn't make sense to me.

Reactions: Flora123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sometimes seems like double standards to me, i have high cholesterol and had a problem with high blood pressure at the same time as diagnosis for type 2, im told the cholesterol and bp is something i will have for life so i am prescribed tablets to controll it and told i will be on them for life and theres no problem with that, yet diabetes is also a condition that can't be cured yet they don't agree to prescribing strips to help control it, doesn't make sense to me.
You'll probably find that as the weight comes off with low carbing the blood pressure and "high" cholesterol will also come down so you won't need any meds whatsoever.. triple whammy! Certainly what happened to me..well thankfully my cholesterol went up in a beneficial way!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Chris, and adding to your comment, if you had the means to control your levels with the help of the strips, maybe your cholesterol and BP would come down saving them from providing you with 'medication for life'. I don't know your medical history of course but I do hate this 'for life' business without any conversations around why or what can be done.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'll probably find that as the weight comes off with low carbing the blood pressure and "high" cholesterol will also come down so you won't need any meds whatsoever.. triple whammy! Certainly what happened to me..well thankfully my cholesterol went up in a beneficial way!
Certainly gives encouragement to carry on trying, but with confidence in my GP at a low ebb think im just given the tablets and forgotten about.

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Chris, and adding to your comment, if you had the means to control your levels with the help of the strips, maybe your cholesterol and BP would come down saving them from providing you with 'medication for life'. I don't know your medical history of course but I do hate this 'for life' business without any conversations around why or what can be done.
Hi, as i just pretty much said in another reply, think repeat prescriptions for medication is the lazy way out for GP's keep taking the tablets then we wont have to investigate further!

Reactions: Flora123

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Certainly gives encouragement to carry on trying, but with confidence in my GP at a low ebb think im just given the tablets and forgotten about.

I'm afraid that seems to be the case with many. However you have hit the jackpot
1. by joining up here
2. by giving low carb a go.

Have they got you taking statins? Might be worth reviewing that one too...

chris66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that seems to be the case with many. However you have hit the jackpot
1. by joining up here
2. by giving low carb a go.

Have they got you taking statins? Might be worth reviewing that one too...
Yes definately i have gained more knowledge and support from joining here than i've been offered from my surgery and don't have to wait two weeks plus to get it! low carb still needs tweeking but of course don't think any of us will perfect it over night but again can always log on here and get advice. Yes have been on statins for about six years but as i say the Dr is happy to sign a slip of paper every three months rather than check on if they could be stopped.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes definately i have gained more knowledge and support from joining here than i've been offered from my surgery and don't have to wait two weeks plus to get it! low carb still needs tweeking but of course don't think any of us will perfect it over night but again can always log on here and get advice. Yes have been on statins for about six years but as i say the Dr is happy to sign a slip of paper every three months rather than check on if they could be stopped.

Depending on how deep you want to go

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cholesterol-and-statins.156985/

Did the GP tell you that statins have been known to bring on T2 diabetes in some people I wonder?