1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Privacy is important: just a reminder that your posts can be seen by members of the public Guest.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carb Killa Bars

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by smull, Jun 7, 2017.

1. smull

smull Type 2 · Member

I stumbled across these bars in Asda quite by accident yesterday (they were with the bodybuilding/running snacks) and I think they're going to change my life lol

I tried the Caramel Chaos yesterday and it was nice but nothing special, the Cookies & Cream bar I had today was lovely though. 13.5g of carbs in the whole bar but it tasted great.

The only snag is that they're £2.49 each! That led me to search Amazon for a deal and I also discovered they do a Carb Killa Fudge Brownie Milkshake (8.5g carbs per bottle).

What a time to be alive.
    :D

• Like Like x 2
  2. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I often eat Nakd bars (https://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/nakd-fruit-and-nut-bars/) - the protein crunch ones contain 15g carbs and the gingerbread ones only contains 12.4g.
    If you buy them online, direct from the manufacturers, they cost £13.99 for 18 bars and often have offers on as well as mixed boxes.

Maybe not as low as your Carb Killa's but definitely tasty and they contain fruit, nuts, etc.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Amanda2376

Amanda2376 · Member

I eat Carb Killas regularly, esp afta training or keep with me for emergency snack or food on the go. Can get cheaper from companies on amazon or protein powder/supplement companies online. They are delish

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rylando88

Rylando88 Type 1 · Member

I eat these all the time, the sugar content is so low it’s amazing! I find them so easy to eat and there are actually about 14 flavours now so I never get bored! There’s always loads of offers on various websites where you can buy boxes of 12 bars for a decent price and some companies will mix the flavours so you get a varied selection. Also, the protein content helps keep me satisfied!

P.s. cut bar in half and place on a plate in microwave for 15/20 seconds = HEAVEN!!!!

5. Rylando88

Rylando88 Type 1 · Member

Oh, just realised how old this thread is! Oops!!

6. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
  7. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I don't understand the attraction - so many carbs - that's about one and a half breakfasts.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Grumpy ole thing

Grumpy ole thing Type 1 · Well-Known Member

that's more carbs that a kitkat x

9. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Don’t all these bars contain malitol as the sweetener? I thought that was nearly as bad as sugar for being absorbed so shouldn’t be ignored despite being a sugar alcohol. Now if they did it with a decent sweetener......

10. Hotpepper20000

Hotpepper20000 · Well-Known Member

I understand that some people want convince but a handful of nuts nd a pepperoni stick are just as easy.

11. HSSS

Ah but they don’t taste as nice/naughty/normal though. That’s the appeal for me not just being able to stash it away indefinitely without a fridge. But they set my cravings off again so I continue to avoid them.

12. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Sugar alcohols or polyols - oh no - I tried them once and thought that I would explode - really painful experience.

13. luceeloo

luceeloo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've tried them, and for £2.49 they can keep them! They remind me of Atkins bars (not that I've tried those in at least 10 years) - overly sweetened and no matter how much you chew them, they just never want to go away!
    I'd rather blow 3g Carbs on a Cadbury's Freddo than eat that monstrosity (or even four Freddo's for the carb value of a Carb Killa bar).

14. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I have these as an occasional snack. I keep one in my bag for emergencies. As the major part of the carb content is polyols which most people don’t absorb the impact carb count is 2g or less depending on the flavour.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HSSS

Doesn’t that depend very much which polyols? They don’t all act the same. But then once in a while I guess isn’t that much of a problem. When I tried them it set off all my sweet cravings again and I couldn’t keep them for emergencies

16. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh it does, I’ve tested these and Phd Smart bars which are sweetened with polyols too and luckily I don’t get a blood sugar reaction to either, I know some people do. Testing as always is vital.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Boo1979

Boo1979 Other · Well-Known Member

Im also fine with all flavours of the phd smart bars and also of battle bites bars. The Grenade killa bars seem a bit more variable - the peanut butter and the cookie dough ones saw no significant rise in BS whereas the white choc one did so I dont really use any of that brand now.
    Grenade carb killer spreads are nice but are also incredibly sweet tasting so you wouldnt want much at a time - around 1/2 -1 tsp of the jaffa orange or choc hazelnut ones in a chia pudding is a nice addition with no BS impact

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    #17 Boo1979, Oct 25, 2018 at 1:38 PM
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook