Carbohydrates - Food of the Devil?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the 'Carbs are poison' not true and should not be said at all, intolerant/dislike to carbs, yes.
I am alarmed that it is allowed to be written. even more so, when this thread is actually in Fitness, Exercise and Sport.
People who turn their lives around and do not wish to take any medication, well done to you, but many with or without medication can tolerate some carbs in whatever form they are eaten, I wish I didn't have to take medication...............
Yes, it is very much a case of horses for courses. Carb levels should be tailored to the individuals needs and aspirations.

What made me come in from the sport angle was my eldest daughter swimming to a high level and training every day. We gave her carb supplements as her diet did not contain enough. This was common practice at the time at least, back in the 90s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robinredbreast

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I refer the right honourable gentleman to my post #157 above.

What you and your wife feed to your child is completely your call... however when you make incorrect statements about others (who are by the way trying to help you) then I will happily call you out on it.

Reactions: Guzzler

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What you and your wife feed to your child is completely your call... however when you make incorrect statements about others (who are by the way trying to help you) then I will happily call you out on it.
I appreciate your needs, stance and efforts. Please hear me when I say zero carbs and keto are not for me as things stand.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks RRB for pointing out that the thread is in the Fitness, exercise and sport sub forum. Completely missed that one.
Feels a bit ironic reading some of the posts now.

M

Member496333

I am alarmed that it is allowed to be written.

Allowed? As far as I can tell it’s just polite discussion among adults? Not being antagonistic, but I’m genuinely curious as to why you think civil and open discussion shouldn’t be “allowed”? :pompous:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What I have seen are posts that try to persuade me that I advocate high carb intake when I clearly do not and posts that appear to ram down my throat that my level of carb intake is too much when they are clearly not.

I don’t just post on behalf of myself so those posts that have encouraged me to take carbs out of a young child’s diet are not welcome with me.
I suppose the posts where you pointed out that Mo Farah eats Frosties to keep in peak physical condition, and Cristiano Ronaldo eats lots of carbs to stay in peak physical condition mislead me in that regard. Fair enough- I let my own young children eat plenty of carbs because of their rapid growth and high energy expenditure. I would suggest the same for Cristiano Ronaldo.For a type 1 diabetic who injects insulin, I can imagine carbs being a viable option. As a type-2 diabetic approaching middle-age, however,I can't imagine anything more stupid than loading up on carbs. I don't think it's something to argue about: I eat to my meter and know that carbs send my blood way up. If others want to load up on bananas and oatmeal, then good luck to them.

Reactions: jjraak
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Listlad . Carbohydrates.....Food from the Gods.
This would have been a better title for me.
I’ve tweaked, altered and followed my diet over many years as a T1 diabetic.
Naturally I’ve gone down the low carb route on more than one occasion. Problem for me was that it’s a diet that offered a slight negligible reduction in HbA1C and weight loss. ( I had no need or desire to lower either ).. After a 4 month and then very difficult 6 month period of low carbing I reverted back to my healthy and satisfying 150/ 200 g carbs daily, which is actually a lot less carbohydrates daily than the vast majority of the population.
The carbs I consume are fine, give me everything I need to survive and be healthy and happy.
Personally carbs are essential for living my life my way.[/QUOTE

Allowed? As far as I can tell it’s just polite discussion among adults? Not being antagonistic, but I’m genuinely curious as to why you think civil and open discussion shouldn’t be “allowed”? :pompous:

It is a civil and and open discussion and no one as I am aware has said it isn't, I certainly didn't, where did you get that from, so show me ?
You have cherry picked a sentence, it was 'Carbs are poison' which I find offensive. So don't accuse me of something I haven;t even done !

Read the full post :- I find the 'Carbs are poison' not true and should not be said at all, intolerant/dislike to carbs, yes.
I am alarmed that it is allowed to be written. even more so, when this thread is actually in Fitness, Exercise and Sport.
People who turn their lives around and do not wish to take any medication, well done to you, but many with or without medication can tolerate some carbs in whatever form they are eaten, I wish I didn't have to take medication...............

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose the posts where you pointed out that Mo Farah eats Frosties to keep in peak physical condition, and Cristiano Ronaldo eats lots of carbs to stay in peak physical condition mislead me in that regard. Fair enough- I let my own young children eat plenty of carbs because of their rapid growth and high energy expenditure. I would suggest the same for Cristiano Ronaldo.For a type 1 diabetic who injects insulin, I can imagine carbs being a viable option. As a type-2 diabetic approaching middle-age, however,I can't imagine anything more stupid than loading up on carbs. I don't think it's something to argue about: I eat to my meter and know that carbs send my blood way up. If others want to load up on bananas and oatmeal, then good luck to them.
Okay. Thanks. And thanks for the balanced post.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, it is very much a case of horses for courses. Carb levels should be tailored to the individuals needs and aspirations.

What made me come in from the sport angle was my eldest daughter swimming to a high level and training every day. We gave her carb supplements as her diet did not contain enough. This was common practice at the time at least, back in the 90s.

I fully understand you coming in from the Sports angle, I was stating to other's, that the discussion wasn't actually posted in Type 2.
We haven't a lot of sports people in the family, even though I did like most sports at school ( not netball though or hockey) and I was quite a fast runner over short distances, 100 meter's, but that was a very long time ago lol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I fully understand you coming in from the Sports angle, I was stating to other's, that the discussion wasn't actually posted in Type 2.
We haven't a lot of sports people in the family, even though I did like most sports at school ( not netball though or hockey) and I was quite a fast runner over short distances, 100 meter's, but that was a very long time ago lol
Edited, I should of said, quite a distance ago...............;):)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is a civil and and open discussion and no one as I am aware has said it isn't, I certainly didn't, where did you get that from, so show me ?
You have cherry picked a sentence, it was 'Carbs are poison' which I find offensive. So don't accuse me of something I haven;t even done !

Read the full post :- I find the 'Carbs are poison' not true and should not be said at all, intolerant/dislike to carbs, yes.

You are free to report any comments I make as I am sure that you are aware being an ex mod an' all.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In fairness that is the the subject being discussed. Perhaps we should all be more tolerant of other people’s views, particularly when they are being asked to share them. You are of course encouraged to disagree if you wish, but complaining about other people’s opinions whilst purportedly promoting tolerance and moderation is more than a little ironic ;)

Considering that type 2 diabetes is caused by inappropriate carbohydrate consumption, then personally I think it’s entirely natural for someone with type 2 diabetes to view carbohydrate as a “poison”. You are free to hold a different view, of course, but please don’t judge others simply because their views don’t align with your own. In this instance I believe the post you’re referring to wasn’t even a personal opinion being shared, it was a reference to the opinion of Dr. David Unwin.
You are right, I thought I was in the "How many carbs do you eat" thread.

Sorry : )

M

Member496333

Gee. Calm down. What a fuss about nothing. I merely thought it a bit unusual that you appeared to think that open speech shouldn’t be “allowed” just because you don’t personally agree with it. That isn’t how debate works. I would respectfully suggest that if you’re offended by other people’s views on carbohydrate then you may wish to ignore carbohydrate discussions in a community full of diabetics.

Have a nice day.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Funnily enough I could put on a sprint a few years back but that became difficult when I began consuming too many carbs for my own good. Since pulling back on the carb throttle I am beginning to get “ a turn of speed “ back that I didn’t think possible 3 months back. I seem to have clawed a degree of physical agility back.

But yes. The thread crosses all of the boundaries really but I was intrigued about carbs and sport in the first instance with my older daughters swimming in the 90s in mind and my younger daughters future in mind.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Gee. Calm down. What a fuss about nothing. I merely thought it a bit unusual that you appeared to think that open speech shouldn’t be “allowed” just because you don’t personally agree with it. That isn’t how debate works. I would respectfully suggest that if you’re offended by other people’s views on carbohydrate then you may wish to ignore carbohydrate discussions in a community full of diabetics.

Have a nice day.
Quote :- Gee calm down, please don't patronize me with your rudeness. and you thought wrong, what's all the fuss about.? I will still say again, I object to 'Carbs are poison' being written on this forum and the moderators now know this.
A forum for people with diabetes isn't just about one type, there are other's, even though they may be just a small %, still important.
Lastly 'A fuss about nothing' so, I respectively ask you to not try and belittle my post, or sweep it away, as it is something important to me and I will continue to post on threads, which are full of diabetics which you stated and I do know by the way.

I am having a nice day, thank you.

Edited.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Funnily enough I could put on a sprint a few years back but that became difficult when I began consuming too many carbs for my own good. Since pulling back on the carb throttle I am beginning to get “ a turn of speed “ back that I didn’t think possible 3 months back. I seem to have clawed a degree of physical agility back.

But yes. The thread crosses all of the boundaries really but I was intrigued about carbs and sport in the first instance with my older daughters swimming in the 90s in mind and my younger daughters future in mind.

Quite a sporty family by the sounds of it :)

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite a sporty family by the sounds of it :)
Not really. I have been the underachiever. (Funny my GP said that to me the other day about himself) But I do have some relatives that have been into sport over the years. One pops up on the TV and in the press all the time - more for sporting journalism than actual sport itself.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not really. I have been the underachiever. (Funny my GP said that to me the other day about himself) But I do have some relatives that have been into sport over the years. One pops up on the TV and in the press all the time - more for sporting journalism than actual sport itself.

Sounds interesting :)