Carbs + Sugar Confusion

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So then, looking at the carb content and sugar content on the nutrition information panel on any food item, do I just pay attention to the carbs and not the sugar? Or do I add the grams of sugar to the grams of carbs? Or subtract the grams of sugar from the grams of carbs?
the label should have a total carbs number, and then say something like "of which.....% sugars) so the sugars number is included in the carbs total.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So then, looking at the carb content and sugar content on the nutrition information panel on any food item, do I just pay attention to the carbs and not the sugar? Or do I add the grams of sugar to the grams of carbs? Or subtract the grams of sugar from the grams of carbs?
In the UK the figure quoted for carbohydrate is the net or available carbs, not including fibre. In the US fibre is included but can be deducted.
The net carbs included the sugar, and is the figure which is most important, as it will give you the amount of carbs per serving or as a percent - it depends on the product - but it should enable you to work out how much to eat, or if you should eat it at all.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the UK the figure quoted for carbohydrate is the net or available carbs, not including fibre. In the US fibre is included but can be deducted.
The net carbs included the sugar, and is the figure which is most important, as it will give you the amount of carbs per serving or as a percent - it depends on the product - but it should enable you to work out how much to eat, or if you should eat it at all.

Thanks, Resurgam.

Is that a Martin in your avatar pic?

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My endo said to take the number of carbs and subtract the number for fiber from that to get net carbs.

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My endo said to take the number of carbs and subtract the number for fiber from that to get net carbs.

Are you are an American or Canadian? That's how labels work here.

However for Brits (this is a British site), that work is already done on the label and they don't need to do this subtraction. (Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know how it is for Australians, New Zealanders, Europeans and other countries.)

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I have some questions and wondered if anybody would be kind enough to clarify a few things for me as looking online is just adding to my confusion!
I was diagnosed last September with a HbA1c of 51. ...

37 - that is a very good number.
But from what I've read most type2 diabetics who don't cut out sugar or reduce total carbs have to keep increasing their Metformin, then add in other drugs? From everything I've read the key is cutting carbs.
I was diagnosed this year near the end of May. I was lucky as I already knew about the low carb diet and Diabetes UK's lowcarbprogram. So I opted to do the programme without Metformin. My blood sugars dropped dramatically in the first two weeks. I started on 100g carbs a day, then down to 90 then 85. My latest HbA1C is 38, my triglycerides are down, and I've lost 2.5st.
Their site has a food diary, so I enter everything I eat each day (before I eat it!) and it calculates the carbs, plus fats and protein and calories if you are interested.
I would recommend calculating your carbs each day.
The lowcarbprogram team suggest starting on 130g or less of carbs and reducing processed food, replacing it with good quality protein, vegetables, salad and berry fruits.
Don't forget that ordinary milk has carbs (from milksugar), so a couple of milky coffees can put you over.