EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It varies from person to person. If you eat to your blood testing meter you cut your carbs to the point where your bg rises by less than 2mmol/L 2 hours after a meal.

Some people can go into remission on 100g a day, others have to go down to 20g or less.

Some people on carb heavy diets can get away just by cutting out the most carb heavy parts of their diet.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many Carbs a day should you have T2
Depends how quickly you wish to lower blood sugars and what you want to achieve.
I aim for 10g or fewer daily. You need precisely zero so maybe work up from there?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Eric Westman wants his clients to be at 20 grams or below. Virta Health at 30 grams or below. These are Ketogenic regions. I would start with protein and fat in whole food form - meat and fish (I like both together, yesterday was trout and spare ribs, then low carb vegetables and if there is room maybe raspberries / strawberries.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How many Carbs a day should you have T2
Are you (still) on gliclazide? Because that would alter the answer.

We don't actually NEED any carbs. But depending on the medication you're on, you might want to be careful how quickly you drop the amount you take. Gliclazide and its kin, as well as insulin, could make you go hypo if you low carb. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ should be of some help, but again, depending on your medication... Test a lot if it's anything other than metformin. And adjust medication as you need to along the way.

Reactions: ShelleyMac
M

Member496333

I roll zero but that's a personal choice and isn't necessary. As @JoKalsbeek says, just be mindful of safety if lowering carbs while also taking hypoglycaemic medicine or insulin.