Carleys raw choc and almond spread

lesleyc

Hi
Has anyone tried Carleys raw choc and almond spread? It has CHO 25g/100g
Am a chocoholic and really missing the stuff on a low carb diet.
If not if you have any other suggestions I would be grateful.
Thanks
Lesley

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you take 1 square of very dark choc (85% ) and melt in micro along with a handful of almonds you have a great snack :D
CAROL

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
25g carb per 100g is really quite high carb on a low-carb diet, particularly when it's not easy to calculate how much you're eating.

Carty is right - go for the really dark chocolate and read the labels - the 90% cocoa solids is something like 14g carb per 100g - which = 1.4g per 10g. It's easy to calculate in squares, and I defy anyone to eat a whole bar of 90% proof in one sitting.

If you do, stay close to the bathroom :wink:

Viv 8)

lesleyc

Thanks for your helpful suggestions but I am a milk chocolate fan.I have tried Sainsburys sugar free milk choc but have difficulty just eating a small amount so I thought I might be better off having a teaspoon of spread.A lifetime of eating whole bars of choc is difficult to recover from. I tried making the almost bounty bars but I guess it was the dark choc, didn't eat many of them.Has anyone any milk choc suggestions please?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lesley

I too have problems with just eating a small amount of something and putting the rest back. My suggestion would be to buy the chocolate in the smallest packet possible. Cadburys do a Freddo bar which has 10.2g of carbs. They are normally located on the bottom shelf along with small packets of sweets aimed at children.

Chocolate peanuts are fairly low carb (for sweets) at between 35 and 40g of carbs per 100g, but usually come in 200g packets, the smallest packet I have found of them is in M&S at 125g.

Nutella, although fairly high in carbs per 100g, if you were spreading it some bread you had already allocated in your carb allowance would only add about another 10g carbs in a couple of teaspoons full. The risk with something like this would be to start eating it off a spoon from the jar...

I've tried the Sainsburys sugar free chocolate, it isn't very nice and the polyols they use in it can still raise your blood sugar.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you dont like dark choc why not make chocolate mousse by melting a square of dark choc and mixing in some double cream until it thickens I have fresh berries with mine but you could probably add some sweetener, maybe some one could advise on what type and quantity.
CAROL

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I find Splenda, tablet and granulated, is easy to use and doesn't have an aftertaste. Other sweeteners are available!

Viv 8)

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I just made a chocolate cheesecake, I used dark chocolate, but once it's mixed in with all the cream cheese and cream it's tastes lovely and only 11g of carbs. I used low fat cream cheese, spread and splenda, it's probably still not to good if you're trying to lose weight though :)

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Just thought of something else, chocolate Mini Milks, if you like ice cream, only 40 calories and 5 grams of carbs, they're very nice, I have one most nights! :)

lesleyc

Hi
Thanks for all your helpful comments. I tried a freddo cadburys choc bar today after lunch but 2hrs later my bg was 10. I think I will just have to try to get used to dark choc in minute quantity.