Celeriac recipes

annie07

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all!

Still relatively new to this low carb lifestyle and learning about different foods. I've seen a few people mentioning they have celeriac and Tesco is telling me it's only 2.3g carb per 100g - seems like a bit of a wonderfood!! I've never had it before.

I was wondering how good of a potato replacement it is - obviously, I'm not expecting it to be an exact match, but is it decent for chips and mash and roasties and the like? Maybe even as crisps? I'm thinking ahead to Christmas lunch especially and wondering if I can replace roasties with this.

I'd love if anyone has any foolproof celeriac recipes to share! I've never cooked with it, but its low carb content has me excited...!! :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Celeriac is one of those things you either love or loathe so if you get one get a small one just to try it.
I love it but it can work out expensive if you want enough to feed a family. I think there are recipes using celeriac on https://dietdoctor.com and there are a few on Youtube.

Make mash in the normal way but when cooked the water content is still high so drive out the moisture before mashing. I find celeriac takes a bit longer to cook than potato so bear this in mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: annie07

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Celeriac seems over the top expensive here in Oz supermarkets, so I've never tried it. Nearly $5 bucks for an ugly battered and grubby looking lump seems a couple of bucks too far to me.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I like it mashed with grainy mustard to give it a bit of extra flavour.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Tesco stopped selling it :(

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I roast it with swede in the same way that you roast potato cut into chunks
Carol

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Celeriac is one of my favourites. Mashed with a bit of Greek youghurt, grated raw in a salad or celeriac chips cooked in my Tefal Actifry (or an oven). The latter is yummy, but as the water content is lower they're not nearly as filling as when mashed.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I never knew they were so expensive in other parts of the world, I feel very lucky now. They're never more than 80 eurocents a piece in the Netherlands and I regularly use them as cheap fresh food for my guinea pigs...
I don't eat very low carb, so when I want to eat mashed potatoes or 'stamppot' (mashed potatoes with vegetables mashed/stirred in) I usually use a little less than half potatoes and a little more than half of celeriac. I did make 'zuurkoolstamppot' without the potatoes and it turned out pretty good, although not the same as with potatoes. As you've probably never had zuurkoolstamppot that doesn't matter, so here's your recipe:

Put diced celeriac in a pan with enough water that they won't burn. Put sauerkraut on top. Add a little salt (or a stock cube/broth/bouillon powder/marmite). Cook for 25 minutes or until the celeriac is soft. Get rid of the extra water or let steam dry. Mash it with a bit of added butter and/or cream.
Eat with fried bacon cubes and sausage and mustard.
Often people mix in apple cubes, pineapple cubes or raisins, but I never have, even before diabetes.

If you eat bread of any kind (I eat low carb bread) this is yummy as well: Grate celeriac until you can cover your slice of bread at least as thick as the bread slice. Add mayonnaise, salt and black pepper. Cut your bread in pieces like you would do for a small child or you'll make a mess.
Same recipe but truly low carb: take a slice of cheese, ham or other thin sliced meat. Add grated celeriac, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Roll it up and cut to bite size pieces.

Cheesy celeriac from the oven: Make thick slices of your celeriac (around as thick as a finger). Bit of oil on both sides. Slices of cheese on top. Bit of paprika and chilli powder if you like. Curry powder works as well. Put in oven until soft and yummy.
When I was a child my father made them as a meat replacement for dinner.

Feed the peels and ugly parts to your guinea pigs, rabbits or a neighbouring goat or horse.

edit: Ha, I know what I'm going to eat tonight, I made myself hungry!

Last edited:

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me the best way to use Celeriac is as a Mash, or in a Dauphinoise.

It is slightly sweeter tasting that potato, and isn't particularly nice as a Chip. I've never tried it roasted.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I roast pieces in goosefat after parboiling them. Also use as an alternative to mashed potato, adding cream, butter and seasoning. The only thing I don't like about celeriac is that it is so difficult to peel.

annie07

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I never knew they were so expensive in other parts of the world, I feel very lucky now. They're never more than 80 eurocents a piece in the Netherlands and I regularly use them as cheap fresh food for my guinea pigs...
I don't eat very low carb, so when I want to eat mashed potatoes or 'stamppot' (mashed potatoes with vegetables mashed/stirred in) I usually use a little less than half potatoes and a little more than half of celeriac. I did make 'zuurkoolstamppot' without the potatoes and it turned out pretty good, although not the same as with potatoes. As you've probably never had zuurkoolstamppot that doesn't matter, so here's your recipe:

Put diced celeriac in a pan with enough water that they won't burn. Put sauerkraut on top. Add a little salt (or a stock cube/broth/bouillon powder/marmite). Cook for 25 minutes or until the celeriac is soft. Get rid of the extra water or let steam dry. Mash it with a bit of added butter and/or cream.
Eat with fried bacon cubes and sausage and mustard.
Often people mix in apple cubes, pineapple cubes or raisins, but I never have, even before diabetes.

If you eat bread of any kind (I eat low carb bread) this is yummy as well: Grate celeriac until you can cover your slice of bread at least as thick as the bread slice. Add mayonnaise, salt and black pepper. Cut your bread in pieces like you would do for a small child or you'll make a mess.
Same recipe but truly low carb: take a slice of cheese, ham or other thin sliced meat. Add grated celeriac, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Roll it up and cut to bite size pieces.

Cheesy celeriac from the oven: Make thick slices of your celeriac (around as thick as a finger). Bit of oil on both sides. Slices of cheese on top. Bit of paprika and chilli powder if you like. Curry powder works as well. Put in oven until soft and yummy.
When I was a child my father made them as a meat replacement for dinner.

Feed the peels and ugly parts to your guinea pigs, rabbits or a neighbouring goat or horse.

edit: Ha, I know what I'm going to eat tonight, I made myself hungry!

Thanks so much for this, they sound amazing! I can't have bread unfortunately, but I do have rabbits to feed the ugly bits too. Definitely going to try these :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The only thing I don't like about celeriac is that it is so difficult to peel.
First slice of a little off the top to feed to the guinea pigs, as too much hassle to peel. Then make thick slices and easily peel them!

Reactions: Pipp

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Celeriac is dirt cheap here as we've got a whole row growing in the garden and they are fairly frost-hardy too. :happy:

Reactions: Pipp and annie07

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Celeriac is dirt cheap here as we've got a whole row growing in the garden and they are fairly frost-hardy too. :happy:
So they are in season now? I checked in my local supermarket, but nothing :( I hope they haven't stopped selling them.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I roast pieces in goosefat after parboiling them. Also use as an alternative to mashed potato, adding cream, butter and seasoning. The only thing I don't like about celeriac is that it is so difficult to peel.

use a bread knife to cut into slices before pairing off the skin (trick learnt from my Mum with swede)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love celeriac and tend to buy a couple of them at a time (or more if lucky enough to come across some reduced ones) - I slice one into chip shapes and one into cubes, open freeze them and then store in plastic bags. I then can add a handful of chips or roastie shapes to hot fat to roast - often alongside a handful of butter nut squash frozen pieces! -, boil and then mash for a topping to a sheperds pie or mix with swede for my favourite mash - I think texture is quite like potatoe ( I also freeze swede in chips and cube shapes as I do butternut squash!) I also add cubes to casserolles and curries where they thicken up the sauces and in a curry take on all the flavours just like potatoes. Finally another favourite is in a soup - luckily my local greengrocer sells them at a decent price otherwise I get them from Sainsburys or Waitrose. Celeriac - like potatoe - is fairly mild tasting so its great as a background veggie. Hope you enjoy it.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 brilliant info thanks. Only tasted celeriac mash recently for the first time. Some serious choppng will be going on in my kitchen soon!

Reactions: Antje77