CGM overpatches

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, Icy weather, Getting old.
I am using a Freestyle Libre 2 CGM. I am not allergic to the adhesive on the sensor, which is good news. However I bought some waterproof overpatches recently to try as I'd like to go swimming at some point. Looks like they are made in China and are supposed to be hypoallergenic and latex free, but after wearing it for several days had to take it off as I seem to be allergic to it. I'll try to upload a photo of it on here if I can. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an overpatch as I'd like to try a different brand maybe. I am latex intolerant but seem to be ok with the adhesive on the sensor. Not sure if it's the glue or the material I'm allergic to on the patch. I'd be particularly interested to hear from those with sensitive skins. I don't think it is an adhesive I'm after as the sensor has not come off as of yet. I'm just thinking about swimming as the time limit with the sensor is 30 minutes and this I have been told is due to the adhesive possibly being affected with any longer.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am not aware of dedicated overpatches. I have read of people using tegaderm and hyperfix to keep their Libre in place.
Sorry, I do not know if either (or both) contain latex. But would recommend using UK available standard plasters/tape rather than something from China.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This is a photo. I bought them from Amazon. I didn't realise they were made in China till I received them
20221017_141741.jpg

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am allergic to most plasters. But I’m fine with the libre itself, and with a tegaderm waterproof dressing.
Does the tegaderm actually stick to the sensor, or just around it?

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am not aware of dedicated overpatches. I have read of people using tegaderm and hyperfix to keep their Libre in place.
Sorry, I do not know if either (or both) contain latex. But would recommend using UK available standard plasters/tape rather than something from China.
To be fair the patches did stay on really well.

Reactions: In Response

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I am using a Freestyle Libre 2 CGM. I am not allergic to the adhesive on the sensor, which is good news. However I bought some waterproof overpatches recently to try as I'd like to go swimming at some point. Looks like they are made in China and are supposed to be hypoallergenic and latex free, but after wearing it for several days had to take it off as I seem to be allergic to it. I'll try to upload a photo of it on here if I can. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an overpatch as I'd like to try a different brand maybe. I am latex intolerant but seem to be ok with the adhesive on the sensor. Not sure if it's the glue or the material I'm allergic to on the patch. I'd be particularly interested to hear from those with sensitive skins.
I am using a Freestyle Libre 2 CGM. I am not allergic to the adhesive on the sensor, which is good news. However I bought some waterproof overpatches recently to try as I'd like to go swimming at some point. Looks like they are made in China and are supposed to be hypoallergenic and latex free, but after wearing it for several days had to take it off as I seem to be allergic to it. I'll try to upload a photo of it on here if I can. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an overpatch as I'd like to try a different brand maybe. I am latex intolerant but seem to be ok with the adhesive on the sensor. Not sure if it's the glue or the material I'm allergic to on the patch. I'd be particularly interested to hear from those with sensitive skins.
There are quite a few on Amazon. Not sure which ones to try next. Some say they are latex free and for hypersensitive skin. That may or may not be helpful as it may have been the adhesive that I reacted to. It took several days for me to realise that the slight itching sensation I had had left me with raised pink skin underneath when I took it off. Also felt much better the minute I took it off. I do have an armband but couldn't possibly wear that all the time. If it is the adhesive that is affected by swimming then that may not help anyway, and a watertight patch is probably the answer. There may well be one out there somewhere for me, as I seem to be okay with the sensor adhesive.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I have used these also in the past as the little plastic cap covers the sensor and helps avoid compression lows.

But have found anything like a plaster or these sort of covers tend to remove swathes of skin when removed and leave my arm a bloody mess so I now stick to tegaderm which does not do that as long as I am careful.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I use these from Amazon, they have a fabric non sticky circle over the sensor and a surround of clear adhesive. I swim with them. They last the 14 days of the sensor, but are easy to replace should they come off before the sensor dies. I have no idea why they have pink or blue on them as that’s on the backing paper which is discarded!

Edit to add, they are latex free.
Thanks. They look a lot like the ones I recently tried and was allergic too. They are supposed to be latex free also. Made in China, but there was nothing to state that on Amazon till it arrived. I think it might be the glue. It's a different brand but they could still be the same company I guess.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I don't wish to be seen to be banging on about one particular product I have no financial interest in promoting it but if you are looking for latex free and water proof then it is ideal I have never had to change one during the 14 days of wearing a sensor and yes it sticks to the sensor but is easily removed and as it is breathable it lets oxygen in and moisture out.

"Tegaderm™ and Tegaderm™ HP Transparent Film Dressings consist of a thin film backing with a hypoallergenic, latex-free adhesive that gently, yet securely, adheres to skin. Tegaderm™ dressings are breathable, sterile, transparent and waterproof, and provide a barrier to external contaminants."

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. They look a lot like the ones I recently tried and was allergic too. They are supposed to be latex free also. Made in China, but there was nothing to state that on Amazon till it arrived. I think it might be the glue. It's a different brand but they could still be the same company I guess.
Oh that’s a shame as they really are good, but you’re right, I just checked the package and they are made in China :(

Reactions: onnecar

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't wish to be seen to be banging on about one particular product I have no financial interest in promoting it but if you are looking for latex free and water proof then it is ideal I have never had to change one during the 14 days of wearing a sensor and yes it sticks to the sensor but is easily removed and as it is breathable it lets oxygen in and moisture out.

"Tegaderm™ and Tegaderm™ HP Transparent Film Dressings consist of a thin film backing with a hypoallergenic, latex-free adhesive that gently, yet securely, adheres to skin. Tegaderm™ dressings are breathable, sterile, transparent and waterproof, and provide a barrier to external contaminants."

I managed to be allergic to these! I find it a miracle I’m not allergic to the adhesive on the sensor. They fall off me pretty easily but I haven’t yet found anything to stick over them to which I’m not allergic.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh that’s a shame as they really are good, but you’re right, I just checked the package and they are made in China :(
Yes it's true they were relatively easy to apply with one hand and stuck really well and did not come off. I do have sensitive skin, and count myself lucky to be okay with the sensor adhesive. Just wish I could find a patch. I have an arm band, but wouldn't stop the adhesive on the sensor getting wet. I couldn't possibly wear the arm band all the time.

alisoningold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am using a Freestyle Libre 2 CGM. I am not allergic to the adhesive on the sensor, which is good news. However I bought some waterproof overpatches recently to try as I'd like to go swimming at some point. Looks like they are made in China and are supposed to be hypoallergenic and latex free, but after wearing it for several days had to take it off as I seem to be allergic to it. I'll try to upload a photo of it on here if I can. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for an overpatch as I'd like to try a different brand maybe. I am latex intolerant but seem to be ok with the adhesive on the sensor. Not sure if it's the glue or the material I'm allergic to on the patch. I'd be particularly interested to hear from those with sensitive skins. I don't think it is an adhesive I'm after as the sensor has not come off as of yet. I'm just thinking about swimming as the time limit with the sensor is 30 minutes and this I have been told is due to the adhesive possibly being affected with any longer.
I swim and am into watersports and wear mine a lot in the water. I don't cover it. Have you tried without covering it? It's up to 30 minutes fully immersed up to 1m, if you're swimming its highly doubtful it's going to be fully immersed the whole time. I don't think you need to cover it.

chrisy62

Type of diabetes
LADA
I have hyposensitive skin my dermatologist suggested Euroderm Roll it’s a transparent film on a roll, They use in hospitals after ops. I swim each day and aqua aerobics for an hour twice a week, and this stuff stays on the life of the sensor, those plaster patches left a big red ring on my arm took about a month to disappear. I got mine from the chemist but I’ve noticed Amazon now sell it, it’s not cheap but a roll lasts a long time, it’s a bit fiddly at first but once your used to it it’s easy. Hope this helps enjoy your swimming. My first one fell off in the pool after about half an hour.

KiB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have hyposensitive skin my dermatologist suggested Euroderm Roll it’s a transparent film on a roll, They use in hospitals after ops. I swim each day and aqua aerobics for an hour twice a week, and this stuff stays on the life of the sensor, those plaster patches left a big red ring on my arm took about a month to disappear. I got mine from the chemist but I’ve noticed Amazon now sell it, it’s not cheap but a roll lasts a long time, it’s a bit fiddly at first but once your used to it it’s easy. Hope this helps enjoy your swimming. My first one fell off in the pool after about half an hour.
I swim regularly and use a arm tube purchased from a company called Funky Pumpers. It covers my sensor perfectly. Had it for several years now with no problems. Good luck.