Change of medication

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I have been on Metformin SR 500mg twice a day. But I have been so constipated with it, that it has been changed to, sitagliptin 100 mg. just one a day. Is anyone on the forum on this tablet? I am hoping that this will be ok. I have to go for a blood test in six weeks time to check.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi

Sitagliptin (Januvia) and metformin work in different ways. Metformin works by increasing insulin sensitivity while Sitagliptin works, in part, by ensuring that your pancreas produces insulin when it is required. If a large part of your diabetic problem is insulin sensitivity, then you might find that sitagliptin will not be as successful in lowering your blood sugars. I am on exanitide, that works in a similar way to sitagliptin, and I still take metformin, although now just 1 x 500mg tablet per day, to ensure insulin sensitivity.

Hope this helps

Doug

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Osidge said:
Hi

Sitagliptin (Januvia) and metformin work in different ways. Metformin works by increasing insulin sensitivity while Sitagliptin works, in part, by ensuring that your pancreas produces insulin when it is required. If a large part of your diabetic problem is insulin sensitivity, then you might find that sitagliptin will not be as successful in lowering your blood sugars. I am on exanitide, that works in a similar way to sitagliptin, and I still take metformin, although now just 1 x 500mg tablet per day, to ensure insulin sensitivity.

Hope this helps

Doug

Thanks Doug, Insulin has not been mentioned to me by my expert nurse. She is trying to find something to suit me. I had put up with the metformin for months, but the constipation was getting so *****. Just hoping that this Sitagliptin works for me. I must tell you that my GP surgery are really helpful and good. I have to go for another blood test in 6 weeks time, and any problems she said to get in touch.
thanks again.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Osidge. I'm on Metformin, Sitagliptin and Gliclazide. If you are overweight and hence probably insulin resistant then Metformin is the most useful drug as one of it's features is to help the body use insulin better. Sitagliptin and Gliclazide are more relevant if you are not overweight and suffering from a fading pancreas. If you are insulin resistant then you may have to rely strongly on a low carb diet rather than meds to really control your blood sugars.

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Daibell said:
Hi. I agree with Osidge. I'm on Metformin, Sitagliptin and Gliclazide. If you are overweight and hence probably insulin resistant then Metformin is the most useful drug as one of it's features is to help the body use insulin better. Sitagliptin and Gliclazide are more relevant if you are not overweight and suffering from a fading pancreas. If you are insulin resistant then you may have to rely strongly on a low carb diet rather than meds to really control your blood sugars.

Thanks foryour help. The thing is that my blood count was around 6.9 - 7. when taking the metformin sr. I am 67 and not thankfully over weight. I only started on the Sitagliptin yesterday. And keeping my fingers crossed that it will not affect my bowels like the metformin did. I am hoping to keep off insulin.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sitagliptin is not known for normally causing any bowel problems and as you are not overweight it may help as it extends the time the pancreas produces insulin after meals by suppressing an ezyme that in turn switches off the pancreas.