Cheese and crackers.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Sorry to bring the bad news Beachbag but there was a mistake with the carb content on the packaging and it's 5.8g of carbs per oat cracker, I'm surprised they never told you this on the phone!

http://www.nairns-oatcakes.com/limited-edition-cracked-black-pepper-oatcake

4-6g of carbs is about the average for an oat crackers, Nairns do a cheese oat cracker that is slightly thinner than the average and that has 3.8g of carbs (from memory) they are really delicious and are even nice on their own with nothing added:)
Ohhhh!!! Just come home from a lovely few hours walking and see this
Thanks for the bad news Noblehead :( and my apologies for believing what was written on the box and giving wrong info:banghead::bag:

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Sometimes.
image.jpg
......;)

Reactions: 4 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Thanks for the bad news Noblehead :( and my apologies for believing what was written on the box and giving wrong info:banghead::bag:

Nothing to apologise for.;)

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I feel for you BB, but is it irresponsible of the manufacturer to release,for re-sale, or is it not ? How else are we to manage our diabetes if a multi-million £ business cannot managed theirs ?
We need accurate information and an 80% error just doesn't cut it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I feel for you BB, but is it irresponsible of the manufacturer to release,for re-sale, or is it not ? How else are we to manage our diabetes if a multi-million £ business cannot managed theirs ?
We need accurate information and an 80% error just doesn't cut it.
Thanks Alan. Think they may well get a phone call tomorrow. It explains why, during the last few days my BG has shown a few rogue readings. :sorry:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Sorry to spoil your day, it was just when I seen the 1g of carb I thought that can't be right so did a quick Google search. Nairns Oatcakes are my fav so I know to well that the 1g figure was way too low, if you can try the Nairns Cheese oatcakes, at 3.7g they aren't too high in carbs.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Sorry to spoil your day, it was just when I seen the 1g of carb I thought that can't be right so did a quick Google search. Nairns Oatcakes are my fav so I know to well that the 1g figure was way too low, if you can try the Nairns Cheese oatcakes, at 3.7g they aren't too high in carbs.
Nairn spoiled my day, not you :). I have two unopened packs of the darn things in the cupboard. Thank you, I'll try the cheese ones because I'm very fond of oatcakes. Hopefully tho' they won't taste TOO good! ;)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hej
Go on, make my day and tell me some great news about the crispbreads!

Hej Scandichic. Well every person is different so you have to test systematically to see how a food affects you. For me, rye breads and rye crispbreads, in moderation were OK from the outset. A rye bread like pumpernickel or a crispbread like dark rye ryvita are foods with a medium glycaemic index. The GI of a food is a reflection of how quickly it spikes your blood sugar levels compared against glucose. Glucose has a GI of 100. It has a higher glycemic response curve than other foods, the graph below being typical for someone with a normal insulin response:

2008_fig1.jpg

One of those large Peter's Yard crispbreads is about 70g and has about 42g carbs. Some of those carbs though are fibre, which are not fully digested. Wholegrain Ryvita for example has about 68g carbs per 100g but 15g of that is cellulose based, ie, you don't digest it. It's as if it is only 53g carbs. However, those carbs are more complex carbs which take longer to break down, hence it has a lower GI. 4 ryvita crispbreads are about 24g total carbs or 18 g complex carbs, so it really is how you define low cabohydrate.

The brain needs 130g which is about 60% of the total requitrement of the body. If it doesn't get its glucose directly from the blood supply, the body generates its own from various fatty acid stores. I've always based my calculations on a requirement of 200g carbs of which I eat 100g, giving me enough for immediate purposes and leaving the body to create the other 100g from its own stores via a process called gluconeogenesis

It can always be a bit tricky to begin with because your metabolism has to get used to things and the way you mix and match the foods you eat also makes a big difference to how it is digested. You have to try and get some sort of system which allows you to test. Also, portion control is important. Start with two crackers and test. Even if two crackers don't spike you, don't rush for 4, Stay with two for a few days. Gently does it, be watchful and beware of trolls.

john+bauer+troll.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Give up on the crackers and have olives with your cheese? That's what i usually do. The ones on the olivesetal online store are amazing - if you like olives of course!

If you're really set on crackers, Cheddars are only 1.9g carb per biscuit, but they are small.

Smidge

Sugar free Stu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Do be aware peep's that as good as it is to cut the carb, eating cheese may show an increase in BM's as breaking down the fat reduces the carb absorption rate so higher BM's for longer. I strain yoghurt for a few days and it makes a great soft cheese substitute add any flavour you wish. Enjoy

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hej

Hej Scandichic. Well every person is different so you have to test systematically to see how a food affects you. For me, rye breads and rye crispbreads, in moderation were OK from the outset. A rye bread like pumpernickel or a crispbread like dark rye ryvita are foods with a medium glycaemic index. The GI of a food is a reflection of how quickly it spikes your blood sugar levels compared against glucose. Glucose has a GI of 100. It has a higher glycemic response curve than other foods, the graph below being typical for someone with a normal insulin response:

2008_fig1.jpg

One of those large Peter's Yard crispbreads is about 70g and has about 42g carbs. Some of those carbs though are fibre, which are not fully digested. Wholegrain Ryvita for example has about 68g carbs per 100g but 15g of that is cellulose based, ie, you don't digest it. It's as if it is only 53g carbs. However, those carbs are more complex carbs which take longer to break down, hence it has a lower GI. 4 ryvita crispbreads are about 24g total carbs or 18 g complex carbs, so it really is how you define low cabohydrate.

The brain needs 130g which is about 60% of the total requitrement of the body. If it doesn't get its glucose directly from the blood supply, the body generates its own from various fatty acid stores. I've always based my calculations on a requirement of 200g carbs of which I eat 100g, giving me enough for immediate purposes and leaving the body to create the other 100g from its own stores via a process called gluconeogenesis

It can always be a bit tricky to begin with because your metabolism has to get used to things and the way you mix and match the foods you eat also makes a big difference to how it is digested. You have to try and get some sort of system which allows you to test. Also, portion control is important. Start with two crackers and test. Even if two crackers don't spike you, don't rush for 4, Stay with two for a few days. Gently does it, be watchful and beware of trolls.

john+bauer+troll.jpg
:) Yay!!!!!!!

S

Sable_Jan

Rather tongue in cheek I'd say "more cheese" goes best with cheese!!

BUT

I've just been munching on Finn Crips with 5 wholegrains at 4.3 g of carbs per slice with thin slices of Lancashire Creamy - lovely. They are thin slices so gram for gram may be just as high as other crackers but as they are so crunchy you don't eat them so quickly so hopefully feel fuller sooner? Thing is though to experiment with your crackers - see how the different grains affect your blood sugars.

I'm new to all this, being told I was pre-diabetic at the end of last year but been reading up as much as I can and believe that what you eat them with can have a big effect on your blood sugar too. Maybe less cracker and more cheese if you aren't also trying to lose weight??

And just had a thought - you say you "can't eat them" but not why - are you going off the carbs in the crackers on the packet or is it the effect of the carbs on your blood sugar?

Jan

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm new to all this, being told I was pre-diabetic at the end of last year but been reading up as much as I can and believe that what you eat them with can have a big effect on your blood sugar too. Maybe less cracker and more cheese if you aren't also trying to lose weight??

That is the usual problem for someone wanting to stick to a varied diet, watching both carbs and counting the calories. The crunch though does, in my experience, satisfy the appetite which fat and sugar laden foods don't. You feel you need to bite, crunch and chew food. I also need sharp tastes so I would have very thin slices of a sharp cheddar and then add very thin slices of pickled onion. A couple of crispbread like that tasted good and took the edge off any hunger pangs.