chinese medicine ?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I've got an open mind about this although I find it bad enough having to stick needles in myself without somebody else joining in ?

Thirsty

sugarless sue said:

Everyone needs a hobby. :mrgreen:

More seriously, Mao publicly backed the use of TCM in the wake of the cultural revolution, as there wasn't enough cash to fund a modern healthcare system. It's telling that he didn't use it himself, and that those in China who can afford to tend to choose modern medicine in preference.

norseman

Dislikes
Swede !
I use acupuncture in preference to Western medicine.
The key is to use someone who is qualified, not someone who once did a weekend course [GP's are the worst offenders]
In the UK, check with the British Acupuncture Council at www.acupuncture.org.uk for QUALIFIED practitioners.

loneranger

I found this post really interesting, it exhausted me but in a good way. It was like a very interesting debate. I had acupuncture but i did not know this person or chat to them about my life, and he was a qualified practitioner, this treatment was for extreme pain in my feet. I think because of the way i am mood wise helped me alot, i dont know how it is with most people but some people tend to get over-friendly with certain professions, this leads to your being feeling happy and positive that things will work and be ok. I was neither and friendly or arrogant to the the practitioner, i was just there for a treatment. The outcome was no, it didnt help my pain. I cant help thinking that if i had gone in being over-friendly been put at ease that a placebo effect would have taken place. But then again through history people have used acupunctre alot, the only time i would be really interested is if i came across somebody who only used accupuncture to cure an ailment and it was recorded all the way through. Maybe that seems a little too harsh but at least the medical world would have quite an understanding of if acupuncture solely works without out placebo effect or the mind taking in that just because its something new happening to the body it works, and as a result the body releases hormones which in return make you happy and you feel so positive you believe it works.

samphire

I live in South Korea, and here EVERYBODY believes in Chinese medicine. I personally taught a rather brilliant high school student who had an offer of a place at Seoul National University (the top uni in Korea) and at a Chinese Medicine University. He chose the latter. People in S. Korea regularly use both western and eastern medicine... and it seems to work!

jaykay

One of the things I've learnt as a practitioner and that used to annoy the hell out of me, was that a client's mood can have a huge bearing on how well they perceived the treatment had worked. Then I discovered it was the same with conventional western medicine. When I was pregnant I had to be on pethidine for the duration of the pregnancy and how effectively it worked as a pain killer was basically dependant on whether I let it work or not. For example, if I had to do something, shop or work, I would take the pethidine but it's effectiveness was minimal. If I took it and let it make me drift off to a dozing state, the painkiller worked. Consequently, I believe an open mind and a sensible attitude is the best way to approach ANY treatment.

Reactions: 2 people

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
I'm going the way of pure naturopthic remedies, well, at least ones that are within my budget for now. i have had excellent results lowering my BG with these supplements and remedies. I am taking no Rx meds for my T2 DB, nor for any other health issue. For me, I know that controlling my weight and my BG is the key to every other health problem because inflammation is involved. Currently I am convinced that these other health issues are linked with the fluctuating blood glucose I've had, perhaps for years.

If I could afford to buy the Chinese herbs right now I would try them for sure. Some of the formulas target primarily the pancreas, which is the problem-site for our diabetes. I've used Chinese medicines before, including acupuncture, and had good results.

kyrani99

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
toxic people
I had a long course of chinese medicine at a time when I had cancer and diabetes type 2. I found chinese herbal medicine and acupuncture helped me tremendously with the complications of both, but more especially those of the diabetes. Some complications dissipated and finally disappeared altogether.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wish you were right, Thirsty, and that we could have 100% faith in our doctors, nurses and health services. That would be fantastic.
I think condemning alternative therapies out of hand is not necessary. Complementary therapies: they will complement the other more mainstream therapies that are on offer. Some of these therapies can be self-administered and are a way for an individual to help him or herself in a positive way, to take responsibility for his or her own well-being.
I don't think anyone posting on this thread has suggested that alternative complementary therapies should replace conventional medicine. I'm very glad to be offered antibiotics when I have an infection. Don't let us forget though that antibiotics are used too freely, and because of this, are self-limiting and may have to become less available at the drop of a hat.
Why have diabetics been given erroneous advice for a very long time? Simple - it's because mistakes are made, even by doctors; the body of scientific knowledge evolves, and doctors learn.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy - or words to that effect! Let's keep an open mind.