chocolate

daveosman

Diagnosed type 2 Jan this years. Put on 3 x Metaformin and 1 simvastatin. I weighed 17 stone waist was 40 inch and blood levels were 12.9 cholesterol ws 7.3

I now weigh 12.5lbs blood levels between 5 and 6 cholesterol 3.5 waist is now 34 and I'm feeling great.

Can someone tell me if eating 3 squares of Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate last thing at night every night is ok? I have been eating 3 squares every day for the last 6 weeks and the results above are the ones I have been getting.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a few blocks of Green & Blacks 85% most nights but early in the evening without much effect on my BS. If you look at the carb level of just a few blocks of 85% you should find it's a reasonably small addition to your carb intake. I'm actually getting used to 85% now! If you haven't tried Green & Blacks give it a try; I think it's the smoothest.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep, hubby and I will have a couple squares of dark lidls or lindt choc on most nights after tea. Doesn't affect me, but I'm a type 1 and account for it in my carb bolusing.....all my other BG's ref cholesterol etc have always been ok.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dave,

Shouldn't do any harm as the chocolate has a high coco content and is quite low in carbs, if you find yourself popping to the loo throughout the night you may want to eat it earlier in the day as the caffeine content is rather high in 85% dark chocolate.

Nigel

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I find if i eat 4 squares of 90% lindt after my evening meal it doesnt do anything to my levels,
so enjoy :D :D :D :D
Sue

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a few squares last night about 9pm and my morning fasting level at 5.30am today was 4.0....don't know what it did but I've never had one that low before!!
Maybe an experiment is needed here????

Happy munching!!
Angie

anniep

Has anybody else noticed that the carb content of green and blacks chocolate has risen lately. It used to be about 17gm (I think) per 100gm, now it is 22gm per 100gm.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
What's the cocoa solids percentage, Anniep? I think they do two, a 70% and an 85%. The 70% is higher carb.

I'm on Lindt 90% at the moment - 14g carb per 100g bar. It sticks to my teeth! :shock:

Viv 8)

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Viv dont you just love the 90%
i just put a square in my mouth close my eyes and let it melt pure heaven :D :D :D
Sue

anniep

viviennem said:
What's the cocoa solids percentage, Anniep? I think they do two, a 70% and an 85%. The 70% is higher carb.

I'm on Lindt 90% at the moment - 14g carb per 100g bar. It sticks to my teeth! :shock:

Viv 8)

No I am talking about the 85% they have changed it recently and the carb content is higher than it used to be. :(

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
anniep said:
Has anybody else noticed that the carb content of green and blacks chocolate has risen lately. It used to be about 17gm (I think) per 100gm, now it is 22gm per 100gm.

Anniep

You're absolutely right. I've just looked at an old and newer G&B 85% chocolate and can see the carb increase. I wonder how they did that?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Let's all write to Green & Blacks and complain! That just is not fair! :shock:

Viv 8)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
In the roche magazine that arrived today, they actually recommend one ounce a day of dark cocolate because of their antioxidants improving blood circulation and lowering blood pressure!!!!!!

Can this be prescribed on NHS????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Janemm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
What a great post!. :D So now I can enjoy a piece of Cote D'Or 86% nior brut, chocolate I purchased 2 weeks ago on holiday in France.
enjoy!

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I'm becoming a bit of a Victor Meldrew over this one.

I was and therefore still am a chocaholic.

If you are diabetic, IMHO you should not eat ANY chocolate under any circumstances.

I still fall off the wagon from time to time and have the odd relapse, but by and large I've resigned myself to the fact that chocolate and diabetes don't mix.

Try red wine instead..................hic :p

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My favourite is Lindt dark chocolate and chile!!! :) Never tempted to scoff it though-my husband is!!! 1 or 2 squares with a little 'bite' as it goes past your throat.....delicious!!

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I guess my problem was and still is WILLPOWER.

I could never have just "one or two squares". I ate the whole family sized bar or the whole packet of biscuits. :oops:

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
My favourite is Cadbury's!!!!

.... however I KNOW its no good for me, so now I have a couple of squares of Green and Blacks, anything over 70%, approx 30g of carb per 100, so a couple of squares as a treat is only 3g!

Accept it does require will power, but it tricks the brain into making you think you are non diabetic from a choco-disciplinary perspective!! :D

All the Best - Steve