Cholesterol and diabetes

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The DN forgot to request cholesterol etc tests for me with my last HbA1c. She has since issued the paperwork, but I've 'forgotten' to go and get the test done! I've reduced my HbA1c from 52 to 35 and lost over 2 stone since diagnosis all on LCHF and exercise. I can't take on anything else at the moment, but agree that long term it would be good to get my LDL down. Maybe after my next HbA1c....... but I don't want to take statins as my husband suffers really badly from muscle aches/pains probably due to taking statins and I'm scared!
I'm absolutely no expert, but I won't entertain the idea of taking statins unless I first have a heart attack or stroke. You do realise, at least some statins can raise bg? And that "athletic" and slim people tend to experience more aches and pains on statins than inactive ones do?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm absolutely no expert, but I won't entertain the idea of taking statins unless I first have a heart attack or stroke. You do realise, at least some statins can raise bg? And that "athletic" and slim people tend to experience more aches and pains on statins than inactive ones do?

The possibility of raising blood sugars is a big factor in my decision to decline them so far. Why undo all the hard work I’ve put in treating an actual problem by treating a potential problem!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So why are GP's pushing them on T2's then?
According to Jenny Ruhl, it's not within the remit of GPs to know about side effects of the drugs they prescribe. She advises consulting a pharmacist for that info. Personally I find reading the info. included in the packet and also Googling finds me as much as the pharmacist would tell me, and it can be shocking. I was recently prescribed two drugs both with a 1 in 10 chance of raising my bg. One I am still taking, as there is no alternative, but I hope it will be temporary. The other I refused to take and now, after a bit of a row, I have been given another instead. A large proportion of medicines contain sugar, and there is often no alternative. No-body seems to care.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So why are GP's pushing them on T2's then?
Because the "guidelines" say they should. No matter if you're a well controlled Type 2 or not. And because most doctors aren't up to date on cholesterol.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if it’s a Coincidence but I’ve been taking cinnamon supplements as heard it is good for blood sugar levels, anyway on my test last week my a1c went from 51 to 48 and cholesterol from 5.7 to 4.9! (Good cholesterol from 1.08 to 1.11) I Was so shocked at that as I’ve done nothing different and had a Christmas treats etc. Since reading up more about cinnamon it can help reduce cholesterol. My diabetic nurse obviously disagreed and wanted to still give me statins but that’s a big drop in 3 months. Going to carry on taking them as it’s a natural supplement and not hurting me.

Reactions: Speedbird

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5D8EDAB7-2EF7-4424-AD0B-9954D381A3CE.jpeg
Not sure if it’s a Coincidence but I’ve been taking cinnamon supplements as heard it is good for blood sugar levels, anyway on my test last week my a1c went from 51 to 48 and cholesterol from 5.7 to 4.9! (Good cholesterol from 1.08 to 1.11) I Was so shocked at that as I’ve done nothing different and had a Christmas treats etc. Since reading up more about cinnamon it can help reduce cholesterol. My diabetic nurse obviously disagreed and wanted to still give me statins but that’s a big drop in 3 months. Going to carry on taking them as it’s a natural supplement and not hurting me.

Funny you should say that I started taking cinnamon last Monday hoping if it had any effect on my blood sugars I may be able to reduce my Metformin at some point. I have to say I was sceptical but look at my average daily blood sugar graph! I didn’t know it was used for improving cholesterol results too. Now I won’t know if it’s the Benecol or the cinnamon that’s improved my results if indeed they are better!

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 25049

Funny you should say that I started taking cinnamon last Monday hoping of it had any effect on my blood sugars I may be able to reduce my Metformin at some point. I have to say I was sceptical but look at my average daily blood sugar graph! I didn’t know it was used for improving cholesterol results too. Now I won’t know if it’s the Benecol or the cinnamon that’s improved my results if indeed they are better!

I think they do lower it. I take 2 before each meal and notice my levels are lower 2 hours after than if I forget to that them. I tried 3 months on Bitter Melon tablets and they didn’t do any difference to cholesterol as far as I was aware but for such a large drop on my cholesterol when I had done nothing different had to be the cinnamon. Also if I’ve had a meal with carbs I notice I don’t spike so high. I always prefer to try the Herbal/natural way before I have to go on pills.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think they do lower it. I take 2 before each meal and notice my levels are lower 2 hours after than if I forget to that them. I tried 3 months on Bitter Melon tablets and they didn’t do any difference to cholesterol as far as I was aware but for such a large drop on my cholesterol when I had done nothing different had to be the cinnamon. Also if I’ve had a meal with carbs I notice I don’t spike so high. I always prefer to try the Herbal/natural way before I have to go on pills.

What dose do you take? My tablets are 2000mg each, Ive been taking one with breakfast and one with my bedtime snack. The bottle says 2-4 per day.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What dose do you take? My tablets are 2000mg each, Ive been taking one with breakfast and one with my bedtime snack. The bottle says 2-4 per day.

I buy Swanson cinnamon 375mg and take 2 before meals. Just brought some lecithin pills (I think it’s called that) from same website (heath monthly) as that’s also good to lower cholesterol. Will let you know next result in April.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy Swanson cinnamon 375mg and take 2 before meals. Just brought some lecithin pills (I think it’s called that) from same website (heath monthly) as that’s also good to lower cholesterol. Will let you know next result in April.
My next review is in a month, I’ll report back too!

Reactions: MKD75

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@SueJB

These are the figures you need to know:

HDL (High density lipoprotein) = good cholesterol
LDL (Low density lipoprotein) = not so good cholesterol
Trigs (Triglycerides) = bad cholesterol

You could ask the receptionist for a print out of your blood test results. These are important, and contain things you need to know.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB

These are the figures you need to know:

HDL (High density lipoprotein) = good cholesterol
LDL (Low density lipoprotein) = not so good cholesterol
Trigs (Triglycerides) = bad cholesterol

You could ask the receptionist for a print out of your blood test results. These are important, and contain things you need to know.
Brilliant, thanks

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
View attachment 25049

Funny you should say that I started taking cinnamon last Monday hoping if it had any effect on my blood sugars I may be able to reduce my Metformin at some point. I have to say I was sceptical but look at my average daily blood sugar graph! I didn’t know it was used for improving cholesterol results too. Now I won’t know if it’s the Benecol or the cinnamon that’s improved my results if indeed they are better!
I do a cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and now cumin bomb (with several seeds as well). I make this palatable by mixing with 2 scoops of Whole Earth peanut butter and yesterday added Greek Yogurt.

Reactions: MKD75

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This might be useful:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Another useful video from Prof. Geoff Volek (48mins)

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m doing it mainly to try to achieve at least a small improvement in my cholesterol numbers to use as a bargaining tool against statins, which my gp has mentioned regularly. He’s not forceful and we usually have a decent discussion about it. My numbers have deteriorated since diagnosis and commencing a low carb diet, I believe due to losing a shed load of weight. If I can just show even a small improvement at my next review it may earn me some more breathing space!
A bargaining tool? This I don't get, if you don't want to take them, don't take them simple as that.

Sent from my RAINBOW using DCUK Forum mobile app

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bargaining tool? This I don't get, if you don't want to take them, don't take them simple as that.

Sent from my RAINBOW using DCUK Forum mobile app

I have a good relationship with my GP and he’s said he’ll respect my wishes but also promised to bring up the subject of Statins from time to time just to check I haven’t changed my mind! I want to be able to explain my decision rather than just refuse point blank.

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All drugs create side effects, you have to weigh up the benefits verses the problems they create. I prefer not to take them.