Type 2 Cholesterol results

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Disappointing Hb1Ac results - please would you help me to decipher the cholesterol bit? The only meds I'm on is Apixaban anticoagulant.

Serum cholesterol level XE2eD 6.75. This is down .5 from last test 4 months ago. Keto for a year now, no deviation.
Serum Triglycerides XE2q9 1.01 which is quoted as within desired range of 0.5 to 2.5
Serum non-high density lipoproteinXabE1 4.8 quoted as equivalent to LDL of 1.8 mmol/L recommended 40% reduction
Serum cholesterol HDL ratio XaEUq 3.5
Serum HDL cholesterol level b44P5 1.95 mmol/L
Calculated LDL cholesterol levelXalp4 4.41mmol/L

Seeing Nursie next week, and going on form she'll be giving me rooty-toot and trying to force statins on me.

BG test remains 6.3 which is pre-diabetic range and the same as last time, though I'd hoped for lower. Mitigating circumstances - have had 2 lots of surgery, 8 weeks of steroids, 4 weeks of covid (unpleasant but not life-threatening, and still getting long covid runny nose).
Took test fasting, though told not to. It was before my brunch anyway.

I'd really appreciate input. Thank you.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Disappointing Hb1Ac results - please would you help me to decipher the cholesterol bit? The only meds I'm on is Apixaban anticoagulant.

Serum cholesterol level XE2eD 6.75. This is down .5 from last test 4 months ago. Keto for a year now, no deviation.
Serum Triglycerides XE2q9 1.01 which is quoted as within desired range of 0.5 to 2.5
Serum non-high density lipoproteinXabE1 4.8 quoted as equivalent to LDL of 1.8 mmol/L recommended 40% reduction
Serum cholesterol HDL ratio XaEUq 3.5
Serum HDL cholesterol level b44P5 1.95 mmol/L
Calculated LDL cholesterol levelXalp4 4.41mmol/L

Seeing Nursie next week, and going on form she'll be giving me rooty-toot and trying to force statins on me.

BG test remains 6.3 which is pre-diabetic range and the same as last time, though I'd hoped for lower. Mitigating circumstances - have had 2 lots of surgery, 8 weeks of steroids, 4 weeks of covid (unpleasant but not life-threatening, and still getting long covid runny nose).
Took test fasting, though told not to. It was before my brunch anyway.

I'd really appreciate input. Thank you.
Had you fasted water only for 12-14 hours pre blood draw?

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If as more and more medics believe the important ratio is Trigs/ HDL and that 0.87 is excellent then yours at 0.52 is absolutely brilliant.
Well done!
My recent ratio was 0.5/2.4 = 0.208. The nurse expressed concern saying that the HDL of 2.4 was “too good”. What am I to make of that? Good or bad?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My recent ratio was 0.5/2.4 = 0.208. The nurse expressed concern saying that the HDL of 2.4 was “too good”. What am I to make of that? Good or bad?
I think my post will be deleted if I said what I really thought about your nurse....
Excellent by the looks of it.
In my uneducated non medical opinion..

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think my post will be deleted if I said what I really thought about your nurse....
Excellent by the looks of it.
In my uneducated non medical opinion..
She intimated that HDL going above the standard top (2.2) of the reference range could have adverse effects, but didn’t elaborate further.

• Informative

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a school of thought that too high HDL can start to behave like LDL. Not saying that’s what I believe just that it’s an opinion

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a school of thought that too high HDL can start to behave like LDL. Not saying that’s what I believe just that it’s an opinion

Thank you for pointing me to that.

• Friendly

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My own arteries are as clear as arteries can be - so no reason to push statins on me, in my non-medical but very logical opinion.

Can anyone throw some light on the meaning of "serum non-high-density lipoprotein XabE1 4.8 quoted as equivalent LDL 1.8 mmol/L recommend 40% reduction" please?

• Informative

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Do remember you are being compared to a population average, who are eating fast food nonsense. That's like comparing thr VO2 max of Andy Murray to Billy Bob down the road.

My HDL 3 months ago was 3, I am in "your" cohort.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mitigating circumstances - have had 2 lots of surgery, 8 weeks of steroids, 4 weeks of covid (unpleasant but not life-threatening, and still getting long covid runny nose).
Mmhh....well, I think your disappointment, at the blood test, is a little harsh, I 'GET' how all of that would give a poorer HBA1c, so yours I great, imho.

Having spent 9 months on medication after surgery, I gave up testing as my numbers were all over the shop, very depressing.

Now I'm on less and more mobile, numbers are dropping slowly.

And, I'm can't say I know how all of the incidents for you could affect the other blood work, but I can't imagine it's an ideal prep..

"Please fast for 24 hours, have two ops, a course of heavy meds. Ooh and covid, if you can manage...we'll see you bright And early next Thursday ..bye "

Whilst it's easy for me to say, far removed

I'd see these as just a baseline of where you are post surgery/covid.

And see the next set as more definitive and closer to your normal.

Best of luck getting over everything.

Ps great TRIGS, btw

Reactions: HSSS

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My own arteries are as clear as arteries can be - so no reason to push statins on me, in my non-medical but very logical opinion.

Can anyone throw some light on the meaning of "serum non-high-density lipoprotein XabE1 4.8 quoted as equivalent LDL 1.8 mmol/L recommend 40% reduction" please?
While I can't illuminate on the equivalent part, I did search and find this, which might be where the 40% came from .

A dry read as these things are, I likely missed so much I'll have to reread to make sense of it, but TABLE 6 Discussion did catch my eye, for anyone thinking to;dr.

Screenshot_2022-10-18-10-57-26-190_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_2022-10-18-10-57-12-871_com.android.chrome.jpg

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do remember you are being compared to a population average, who are eating fast food nonsense. That's like comparing thr VO2 max of Andy Murray to Billy Bob down the road.

My HDL 3 months ago was 3, I am in "your" cohort.
Now this is an interesting remark for me. I think you’re saying that these ranges we see on our blood results panels are based upon what prevails in the observed population at large, i.e.the empirical norm, as opposed to being based upon much deeper, scientifically evidenced determination of ideal lower and upper limits for those ranges. In which case I take your point entirely.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, jjraak, for your kind comments and the interesting study. I've only read it once so far, but will examine it again. Am wryly amused that participants' education was included in the survey, and I can't think why it is relevant. Personally I doubt if I have all that many years of life left anyway compared to the length of study - not being morbid, but one can only live so long. At least I know some of Nursie's likely script when I have my audience with her.

I am very appreciative of support offered.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now this is an interesting remark for me. I think you’re saying that these ranges we see on our blood results panels are based upon what prevails in the observed population at large, i.e.the empirical norm, as opposed to being based upon much deeper, scientifically evidenced determination of ideal lower and upper limits for those ranges. In which case I take your point entirely.
And you may be interested to learn that the lines at which prediabetes and diabetes are drawn were chosen the same way some years ago. The American levels are supposedly due for review shortly and based on the levels of diabetes in the population as a whole are expected to go up considerably. No doubt UK will follow suit if only to remove several of us costly diabetics from their statistics.
I'm betting it will go to 52, if not more

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or, conversely, like blood pressure "desirable range" the criteria will be reduced so that more medicine can be prescribed. I have a close family member who was diagnosed T2 forty years ago and the cutoff point was 7 in those days.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnEGreen

chrisjohnh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And you may be interested to learn that the lines at which prediabetes and diabetes are drawn were chosen the same way some years ago. The American levels are supposedly due for review shortly and based on the levels of diabetes in the population as a whole are expected to go up considerably. No doubt UK will follow suit if only to remove several of us costly diabetics from their statistics.
I'm betting it will go to 52, if not more
So, no need for personal effort to control our diabetes, the population statisticians will have cured us ! Your point appreciated.