Coffee & Diabetes

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having chocolate, it's a darn disaster!
Coffee drinkers out there, how does caffeinated or decaffeinated coffee affect your blood glucose?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Decaff with cream has no effects on my bg.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
2 or 3 cups per day. Usually, just the 2. I have never checked to see what it does, I usually drink it with a meal. Tea between meals, but not coffee.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I agree with @Guzzler, decaff with or without cream has zero impact

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree with @Guzzler, decaff with or without cream has zero impact

And it is a lovely drink as you look out at the snow this morning. I pity all those who must travel today.

Reactions: DJC3

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
And it is a lovely drink as you look out at the snow this morning. I pity all those who must travel today.
Haven't even peeked through the curtains yet but I do like my decaff

Reactions: Guzzler

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink three cups of full caffeine with double cream in the morning and up to three decaff rest of day @nd no impact at all. In fact the opposite - if I’m fasting the effect of the double cream tends to bring my bgs down and no difference whether caffeinated or not.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Let’s hope those dealing with current weather this morning have their thermos of coffee with them! I’m drinking mine before I face it!

Reactions: Guzzler

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love coffee and the caffeine doesn’t seem to affect my blood sugars. I have one white one with my breakfast, just a small amount of full fat milk, then two or three mugs of black throughout the day, just not too close to bed time, as the caffeine keeps me awake!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I might have two pints of coffee in a day - The percolator is on all day as my husband drinks loads.
I use the gold 'bricks' preground from Lidl - good stuff, and drink it with their double cream. I add a tiny amount of salt, as I don't use it on food or when cooking and a pinch of cinnamon. If it has any effect on BG it must be a beneficial one.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As with others, coffee has no impact on my sugars.
I use a Nespresso machine and have 2-3 coffees a day - caf in the morning decaf in the afternoon. I have mine mith soya cream, almond milk (froths up nicely in milk frother bit of the N’espresso) or very occasionally lactofree cream ( dairy intolerance)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped drinking coffee over 30 years ago as I found it was the cause of headaches. I returned to drinking decaf, either black or with cream a few years ago. It has no effect on my BS. I only have one cup a day but I do drink several cups of tea throughout the day. The only thing I notice is tea does increase my heart rate.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I am a complete coffee head, managing 2-3 every morning. It does not affect my blood glucose unless I take it with cow's milk. I usually drink it black, but occasionally with a tsp of cream. Bulletproof coffee is fine too.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Several cups of black fully leaded coffee a day (brewed in a stovetop pot) have no effect on my BG :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My double shot espresso doesn't seem to impact my BS. As for decaf as I have never even tried it in my entire life and never will I can not say.

alardt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I drink about 4 large cups a day. Double Heavy Cream, 1 tbsp Coconut Oil and 1 tbsp Butter. Artificial Sweetener. It's my Fat Coffee and it's a mainstay for me to skip some means. Been Keto since July 2017 and blood sugar went from Type 2 to normal and keeps getting lower :)