Coffee

Rich_N

Here's my thing about coffee. I really like it, It's my one "quality of life" things that I will compromise on, but not drop. I've been type 2 for 3 years, and have observed spikes on blood glucose and a general raise in blood pressure. So I've switched to decaf (blood pressure), and use soya milk with zero sugar (Alpro unsweetened - No Sugars).

While the taste is not as good as the real thing, I'm certainly not seeing a spike. Is there anything that tastes more pleasant than soya milk that won't spike my glucose?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's my thing about coffee. I really like it, It's my one "quality of life" things that I will compromise on, but not drop. I've been type 2 for 3 years, and have observed spikes on blood glucose and a general raise in blood pressure. So I've switched to decaf (blood pressure), and use soya milk with zero sugar (Alpro unsweetened - No Sugars).

While the taste is not as good as the real thing, I'm certainly not seeing a spike. Is there anything that tastes more pleasant than soya milk that won't spike my glucose?
I use cream in my coffee - coffee made in a filter device.
It doesn't seem to affect my blood pressure though - but eating low carb does tend to reduce blood pressure problems if you have them.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Cream'd be seconded right here. If there's no issues with lactose or anything... Full fat. Bam. Awesome.

• Agree
Reactions: JAT1 and Outlier

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Black for me. Instant Monday-Thursday. Fresh over the weekend when I have more time to sit and savour. Only one cup a day though.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started off with cream (mmmmm delishus!) and have recently changed to black, which is how I always used to drink it back in the day. I'll probably treat myself to creamy coffee over Christmas, then back to black. I gave up the cream as I still want to lose a small amount of weight and have reached the stage where I haven't much else to cut back on.

No way will I give up coffee!

Westley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If the coffee tastes bad without milk, maybe try a different type of coffee maker or better coffee.
I love my Moka pot, it's rich and dense without any need to add anything. I usually drink it black, but went through a phase of stirring in a teaspoon of butter.

filly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.

I use double cream. Also coffee shop opposite does me a 1 shot with unsweetened almond milk. I provide the milk and they provide the 1 shot. Works well.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use unsweetened almond milk in cooking sometimes, but IMO any of the non-dairy plant-based milks would ruin the flavour of good coffee.
I enjoy coffee black especially after a meal. Occasionally add double cream when enjoying a coffee break mid-morning.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Always black for me, I don’t like cream or milk in coffee or tea, strangely I do like on the very odd occasion an espresso poured over a very small ball of good vanilla ice cream

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Why oh why use carby soya milk that tastes bad lol double cream is the way forward, “slurp”

• Agree
Reactions: KennyA

JulsX

Carb wise full fat milk is better than Soy milk but Double cream and especially Whipping Cream would be the best.
Personally I drink my coffee black and sugarless and I have 3 maybe 4 a day without spikes

lauk66

I’ve switched from to black coffee with cinnamon on top and it’s perfect!

Kmk300

Have you tried oat vmilk, my daughter uses it, but I cant tell you what its like, her partner is lactose intolerant so they both switched.

Alty2003

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you considered goat milk? Available most supermarkets and doesn't 'curdle' like some of the nut milks. Extraordinary claims about its benefits. Worth a read at least.

Also hemp milk - only ever found it at Waitrose