Is coke now better than lucozade for treating hypos?

• Total voters

Biekmas83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With lucozade reducing its carb sugar ratio, is Coke better for treating Hypos? Coke has 10.4g of sugar for 10.4g of carb!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You need 15g of carbs to treat a hypo........a bottle or can of lucozade will still contain this.......

what is critical is will you need more than the 15g due to a bad dose calculation or physical activity etc....

so is coke better, no, they're all the same...

Biekmas83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But surely more sugar per Gram in coke treats the hypo faster?

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The GI will have an impact on the speed also - coke is 63 on the GI index whereas Glucojuice is pretty much the gold standard in speed at 103. 15g of pure glucose in a bottle.

Biekmas83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Gluco Juice? I have Gluco Tabs but only for out and about as I prefer liquid! Did not know that existed!! Thanks

Reactions: porl69

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have jelly babies during the day, but on my bedside table for the middle of the night I have those 150ml cans coke. I find the C02 makes it work quicker. Important for me when I’m half asleep.

Reactions: Biekmas83

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree with @db89 ,s Glucojuice recommendation.

Kinda pricey in Boots, about £1.60 for a small bottle, so I tend to keep it for serious, hard drops when I've made a major miscalc.

It's pure dextrose monohydrate, and is just insanely fast, fast, fast when you need that sort of thing.

Tastes quite nice too and a dinky little bottle, so no probs just tucking it away in a pocket for those full on emergencies.

Reactions: Biekmas83

River83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think it all comes down to personal preference and how many carbs you need to treat your hypo.
I prefer to use either Dextro energy tabs for carrying around, or pure Dextrose Monohydrate dissolved in water when at home.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I have always taken lucozade as my favourite and "works for me" Hypo stopper.. It works quickly (two or three large gulps) and 15 minutes later I am feeling on the mend.

Totally down to what you find better. When Hypo my only concern is to stop it as quickly as possible without having to go through any analysis regarding grams of sugars and carbohydrates..

Biekmas83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Overtreat hypos has always been my drawback. Low is fixed 1.5 later am fighting the highs!

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Lucozade, sometimes it takes a little convincing