confused about milk carbs

Drfarxan

I am new to the "macro nutrient in food" business but when i read the labels it usually says carbs in 100ml of milk is 4.5g!! How come when milk is lactose which is glucose? So i assume its all water then a little percent of milk is lactose. Or are the 4.5 grams only sugar but the lactose is not calculated?!!

How much does milk effect your blood sugar? i avoided it for 9 months so i wouldn't know

Do any of you use milk in anyway, drinking or in your tea? and you are in a "ketogenic diet"? 1 cup of milk is 12g of carbs barely above 20g. Or do you completely avoid milk

I also found pausteurized milk with high fat and only 3 g of carbs in 100ml thats 8g of carbs in one cup. Any of you ever found the same product and are using it in keto?

I use to use milk in my coffee and tea. But know i use a heavy cream, zero card almond milk and butter in my tea(took a break from coffee) but after finding the pausteurized milk i am thinking of adding 200 ml to my tea for flavour.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I used to drink gallons of milk, since the lifestyle changes, I just use a bit in my coffee. Low carb almond or coconut in my new milk

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you point out, lactose is a carbohydrate, being a form of glucose. So it has carbs. Remember that one ml of water weighs 1gm, so 100 ml of milk is as near as dammit to 100g. I tend to work on carbs per 100 g which is the same as the percentage value.

Creams tend to be low carb and the consensus seems to be that whole milk (i.e not skimmed or low fat) has a good carb profile and nutrient balance. Most milk in the UK is pasteurised but that process does not alter the carb ratio at all. I find a splash of milk in coffee makes it less bitter, but for me, double cream gives digestive rumblings. I do not like the non-dairy milks and creams to be to my liking nor are they as nutritious. But I am generally lactose tolerant, so I can use dairy. Others do not have such choice.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not a expert, but when a cow is milked it goes through a process of how they sell it, pasteuried, green top, red top and so on, even to condensed milk. (Yuk)
The milk fed to calves is full fat, the skimmed milk has most of the fat took out or watered down as you say, and if you drank that it would taste like very bland.
So to pass regulations and achieve taste, the fat which gives it taste, is replaced by additives.
If you ate a yoghurt which is no fat, low fat, during the process, depending on which brand you buy, without the fat it is awful, so they add fruit to taste or an enhancer to taste nice.
So milk straight from the cow, is full fat, and very few carbs, The more they add after taking the fat away, the higher the carbs.
So if you take milk in your drink, add full fat or cream if it's coffee. Or like me, none at all because I'm lactose intolerant!

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Milk is kryptonite for me, one of the foods I am really intolerant of, carb-wise. Double cream has replaced it and doesn’t upset my BG, I guess because I use less of it and it has a higher fat content. I even dilute cream with water and steam it for latte! Diabetes is very personal, the only way to know how a particular food affects you is to test before and after consumption.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to drink lots of milk, I love the stuff! So although at 4.5 gr carbs per 100 isn't all that much, it counts up when you drink 400 ml in one go, and it works pretty quick too, quicker than my insulin can handle.
So drinking milk is out for me. I could of course enjoy a couple of sips here and there without issue, but this doesn't work for me. When I crave milk I want to gulp it down, preferably straight from the carton while standing in front of the fridge (the joys of living alone :)) so I don't drink it at all.

However, I do drink my coffee (a pot a day) and occasional tea with a generous splash of semi skimmed and have no issue with that. I don't like cream in my coffee, but even a generous splash of milk diluted in a mug of coffee can't be much more than half a gram of carbs, which is not a problem at all for me.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have about half a pint of full fat milk a day. Its one of my sources of protein and calcium and helps with vitamin D. I cant stand any of the non dairy milks. I simply include the carbs in my daily allowance.

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I still have a splash of milk in tea once or twice a day, but drinking glasses of milk don't agree with my blood sugar now. I haven't found a non dairy milk I like, but normally get lactose free milk at less than 3% carbs and pretty much the same taste

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I cut down on how much milk I have, and switched from skimmed to full fat - because it is creamier I don't need as much in coffee (and I prefer tea without milk). I get about 12 -18g of carbs a day from milk, depending on how many coffees I drink, plus 5g from full fat Greek yogurt. But I balance that by eating very low carb meals.

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I use what we in the US call light cream (think it's regular cream on your side of the pond). I tried heavy whipping cream (double cream for you) and it tasted weird. I also sometimes put .5 T of dark cocoa in my coffee, moreso during the winter when I am craving hot chocolate.