confused about urine test

jfran

So i was diagnosed with type 2 about 10 days ago now.
I have now had my hbA1c test result back, 109. which is very high. Dr says thats what we measure everything against in the future, im getting another test in 3 months and hopefully it will be much lower. My blood glucose was apparently 2 points lower than at the time i was diagnosed a week earlier(after a suite of blood tests for something else entirely) and I managed to lose 2.2kg in that week too from my diet. I already feel a lot better - today i was on trains and buses for 7 and a half hours - and i didnt need a wee once (a massive massive change from the going every hour situation i was in 2 weeks ago. And it is a godsend to not have to get up in the night as well, i feel so much better from undisturbed sleep alone.

Dr has let me try to manage on diet and exercise for now, i have massively changed my diet, eating 1/3rd of what i normally would i would say, and trying to low carb, no sugar at all. And im exercising a lot more too. I was at a hen party this weekend which was a huge challenge for me, with loads of lovely looking cakes, buffet foods, cocktails etc - all of which I refused. We did have a meal out which was larger than i have been eating - i had king prawns in garlic and chilli oil, then steak and just a few chips (i exercised like crazy all week to afford those calories), and some cheese and crackers. 1 glass of champagne.
Then i danced for 2 hours.

What im confused about is that i dont think ive eaten that much today, I had a bacon sandwich this morning for breakfast, 2 slices of bread, 2 slices bacon. Then i had a chicken sandwich on the train - multigrain bread and roast chicken. Nothing else until i got home at 8:30pm. At the moment i only have urine test strips so i tested, thinking it should be ok as id not eaten for 4 hours, but it changed colour (to between 10-15mmol/l).

I am experiencing a colour change first thing in the morning, which i understand to be the dawn effect (shows between 5-15mmol/l), but the rest of the time with my changed diet my urine strips havent changed colours in my pre-meal and 2 hr post-meal tests ive done. Do you think that todays result would still be from eating a larger meal last night. Or could it potentially also be from less sleep than normal, we didnt get in till 3am, or maybe change in sleep/wake pattern or something?

Ive ordered myself a bg meter as i now the urine strips arent great, buts it not arrived yet.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Well done, it sounds like you made a great start.

Two things to note:
1. Bread is pretty evil. Either try Burgen (which is Linseed and Soya and surprisingly nice) or cut it out altogther.
2. It takes a little while for your BG to settle down when you first start low carbing, your high scores might be a reflection of that.

The urine strips are pretty inaccurate, but you'll soon have your meter, so that doesn't really matter.

Keep up the good work!

Stephen

jfran

I have converted to the linseed and soya bread at home (really tasty), but I was staying at someone elses house last night so had their wholemeal, and sandwich was multigrain from boots. Im finding it quite difficult to balance calories (as ive put myself on a 1150 calories a day diet), reduce carbs, but not replace those carbs with too much fat, low sugar, low fat diet. I tend to walk into the supermarket, stand staring at the foods and not know what on earth i can actually eat.

I have been eating 2 burgen bread for breakfast, and for my sandwiches at lunchtime. I would welcome any ideas as well for:
Breakfasts? (i cant have milk as it make my airways constrict - so no cereal).
Lunches? (other than sandwiches?)
Drinks in pubs: Diet coke - (but i cant drink much of that either as caffeine is one of my IBS triggers!)

Lots of questions i know, but it is so daunting trying to decide what i can and cant have right now whilst trying to lose as much weight as possible at the same time.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
jfran said:
I have converted to the linseed and soya bread at home (really tasty), but I was staying at someone elses house last night so had their wholemeal, and sandwich was multigrain from boots. Im finding it quite difficult to balance calories (as ive put myself on a 1150 calories a day diet), reduce carbs, but not replace those carbs with too much fat, low sugar, low fat diet. I tend to walk into the supermarket, stand staring at the foods and not know what on earth i can actually eat.

The supermarket thing is tough. I still get a bit moody walking around with a trolly full of food for the family, when my food would fit in a single carrier bag.

If you cut the carbs out, then you shouldn't worry too much about fat, which is only harmful (if at all) when on a high-carb diet. If you're not eating carbs then you can only replace it with fat and protein. It gets very difficult to eat too much protein after a while, so fat is your only choice.

jfran said:
I have been eating 2 burgen bread for breakfast, and for my sandwiches at lunchtime. I would welcome any ideas as well for:
Breakfasts? (i cant have milk as it make my airways constrict - so no cereal).
Lunches? (other than sandwiches?)
Drinks in pubs: Diet coke - (but i cant drink much of that either as caffeine is one of my IBS triggers!)

I think that four slice of Burgen a day is probably a bit much. I used to have a sandwich for breakfast.

I'm not the best to advise (being a lazy man), but I get by mainly on eggs, chicken, steak, salad, vegetables and cheese (with some sausage and bacon at the weekend). There are some low-carb geniuses on here (WhitbyJet especially) who will be able to help you more.

Red Wine has no carbs, and will also help to lower your BG a bit.

jfran said:
Lots of questions i know, but it is so daunting trying to decide what i can and cant have right now whilst trying to lose as much weight as possible at the same time.

Just remember that it's got to be sustainable, so don't try too hard then crack.

It does get easier though...

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. When I was diagnosed, I used urine sticks until I got a meter. At first diagnosis you are likely to have sugar in the urine most of the time and note that sugar in the urine does not directly relate to your blood sugar level at the time of test. When you get your meter things should become clearer.

C

catherinecherub

As Diabell says, the urine sticks are not really an indicator of control and you do need a meter.
I would re-read Daisy's advice, have a good look around the forum and take it all in and decide how you are going to try and manage your diabetes.
There are several members who have managed to gain control using a variety of methods and one man's meat is another man's poison so to speak.
I do not use a high fat approach like some people do and do not use a very low amount of carbs. High fat is not for everyone the same as low fat is not for everyone and we do not know if someone has other health considerations that need to be taken into account. You have to individualise the life plan of eating into something manageable for yourself. We can only manage our own diabetes. We can tell you what works for us but not what will work for you.

A meter is your best friend in deciding the way forward and keep asking questions.

Take care,

CC.